E Pluribus Unum - Connecting the stories of FO3 and FO4 (Design document critiques encouraged!)

Kentington

Why would anyone not side with the Brotherhood of Steel?

Perhaps because they are a thinly-veiled allegory for how dangerously alluring the combination of totalitarianism and a cult of personality can be? Don't get me wrong, I love how morally ambiguous the factions are in FO4 and certainly don't miss FO3's boringly-good Brotherhood, but it's a little unnerving to see so many players miss the point and wholeheartedly embrace this particular faction.

In any case, the schism between the Lone Wanderer and the newly-reoriented Brotherhood forms an important part of EPU's backstory, and it wouldn't make sense for them to work together with a Sole Survivor who took the BoS route.

I don't embrace the Brotherhood at all. I just find 2 of the other factions laughable under powered at helping me reach my goal of destroying the third other faction. I actually kind of hate the Brotherhood, but I make my decisions with my logical brain, not my emotional brain.

Not all that different from the story of Mass Effect 2, where I side with a misguided organization with a crazy leader in order to manipulate them into meeting my goals.

I find your mod idea interesting, and I would be excited to give it a shot. I just have to say I am a bit disappointed that I would have to go with a less logical choice in factions in order to play your mod.

Interesting... I've been thinking about (and working a little) on a similar mod idea, but centered around Mothership Zeta. Curiously enough, I had the exact same ideas about Sarah Lyons being betrayed by BOS hard-liners (Maxson) and Sarah's body being on ice (on board the Mothership) :D

But that's where the similarities end. The LW could never prove that Sarah was set up, but severed ties with the BOS out of mistrust. Threatening the BOS with Zeta's orbital deathray, the LW banished them from his/her pet project, Purity. Humiliated, the BOS ventured to the CW under Maxson, looking for a new battle to boost morale.

Yeah, Sarah's death just seemed so... underwhelming. I can understand why Bethesda killed her off from a story perspective - the BoS would never have regressed with her at the helm - but such an iconic character deserved more than a one-line terminal entry. Makes you think those historians had something to hide...

• 10 months later...

I sided with the Brotherhood of Steel, does that mean this mod is off limits eg. through a certain quest condition fulfilment or in terms of the canon/storyline?

EDIT - I read your design document. Sounds epic, enough to rival alot of the bigger mods from FO3. However I could still see an angle of allowing a BoS player to playthrough this mod, using the end result of Blind Betrayal as a quest condition.

Edited by Narmz

There is a reason Bethesda games rarely bring up previous protagonists, I'd say keep up with that and NOT include the Lone Wanderer because most of the time (skyrim mods Moon and Star and Gray Cowl of Nocturnal are two good examples) it ends up with the player feeling like a person's character is being shoved down their throats.

At best just leave hints and references but nothing concrete like personality, gender, etc etc. It's not a good idea.

Or don't. Not only is he incorrect about a lot of things lore-wise like the BoS confiscating tech (they don't except one not-canon ending for Fallout 1 and non-canon endings for New Vegas) but then dissolves into trying to work in the really terrible "SARAH WAS ASSASSINATED BUT ESCAPED!" conspiracy theory that Lyons fans have been pushing without any actual evidence to back up the claim

The guy's ideas are pretty bad.

Edited by CiderMuffin

Referencing the main protagonist at some degree was done in F2 (best in the series as far as I'm concerned). Not in conclusive records and all that, but it can be done. And then in NV if you spend some time talking to Marcus.

Or don't. Not only is he incorrect about a lot of things lore-wise like the BoS confiscating tech (they don't except one not-canon ending for Fallout 1 and non-canon endings for New Vegas) but then dissolves into trying to work in the really terrible "SARAH WAS ASSASSINATED BUT ESCAPED!" conspiracy theory that Lyons fans have been pushing without any actual evidence to back up the claim

At least the post TRIES to explain Sarah's absence in FO4 rather than the BS "Oh, Sarah the very skilled and experienced soldier who have survived fight super mutants for years got killed all of the sudden but we're not gonna go into anymore detail about that and after which, The Eastern BOS went from being the reasonable and rational guys they were in FO3 to reverting back into the xenophobic a-holes they once were again."

At least the post TRIES to explain Sarah's absence in FO4 rather than the BS "Oh, Sarah the very skilled and experienced soldier who have survived fight super mutants for years got killed all of the sudden but we're not gonna go into anymore detail about that and after which, The Eastern BOS went from being the reasonable and rational guys they were in FO3 to reverting back into the xenophobic a-holes they once were again."

There is a reason Bethesda games rarely bring up previous protagonists, I'd say keep up with that and NOT include the Lone Wanderer because most of the time (skyrim mods Moon and Star and Gray Cowl of Nocturnal are two good examples) it ends up with the player feeling like a person's character is being shoved down their throats.

At best just leave hints and references but nothing concrete like personality, gender, etc etc. It's not a good idea.