How human are synths?

moonlightoverwater

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing, gen 3's may be engineered, but, they are made from organic compounds. And while they CAN be reprogrammed, because we know how being their designers, once programmed, they otherwise learn, feel, and adapt as any human would. They LIVE their lifes. Now, its true they can be re-written due to us being the makers. BUT. As modern science moves along into science fiction, we are finding more and more ways to mess with the true human mind, and may one day be able to 're-program' it, too.

Essentially gen 3's are biologically engineered beings. There is essentially no difference. If they can think and feel, and do all that a human does, why are they not a form of life, too? Because we can reprogram them? What happens when we can reprogram the human brain, are we suddenly not living? What if humans were biologically engineered, would we merely be 'machines or creations' and not living?

This is my biggest issue with the Institute. I think they do have some desire to help the world, but they created living beings and won't recognize them as such, and the way they treat gen 3's, is flat out cruel.Why give the synths the ability to learn, feel, etc, if you are going to treat them like crap?

ALl of this aside, this is why I cant fathom people who dislike the main story. It has a very compelling central arguement, with all 3 major sides being right and wrong in their own ways. Easily one of the best main storylines in a bethesda game, and even one of my recent favs in gaming period, personally. My ONLY wish was that I could try to convince people over to MY view more, since they are very stuck to their own. Like showing the institute they are wrong, for example.

The real kicker in all of this is that the Railroad isn't all that different from the Institute. Essentially they reprogram synths, just like the settlers at Sunshine Tidings did to Professor Goodfeels.

As far as observed behavior in-game, Codsworth and many other pre-war robots act exactly like the gen-3 synths. There's a pre-war shopping mall full of Mr. Handys that all act much like synths. Is Codsworth human? KL-E-O?

The simple answer is no, they are not human. They are humanoid. Now, the topic of whether they have free will and should be accorded the same treatment as humans is another question entirely.

s far as observed behavior in-game, Codsworth and many other pre-war robots act exactly like the gen-3 synths. There's a pre-war shopping mall full of Mr. Handys that all act much like synths. Is Codsworth human? KL-E-O?

The simple answer is no, they are n

But mr.handies are servants through and thporugh. For one, Codsworth kept on cleaning the house and never left, same for Curi who waited for an order all this time.

They are made to be happy for you and what not, they are not the same even if they were kind of close.

Edited by Boombro

s far as observed behavior in-game, Codsworth and many other pre-war robots act exactly like the gen-3 synths. There's a pre-war shopping mall full of Mr. Handys that all act much like synths. Is Codsworth human? KL-E-O?

The simple answer is no, they are n

But mr.handies are servants through and thporugh. For one, Codsworth kept on cleaning the house and never left, same for Curi who waited for an order all this time.

They are made to be happy for you and what not, they are not the same even if they were kind of close.

Except that unlike Dogmeat you still have to build a relationship with them as companions, so they definitely are somewhat more than the original talking toasters General Atomics built them to be.

Edited by digitaltrucker

Hardly human though.

They want to serve you, to obey you, to make you grin. That is not decision making that animals and humans have.They love you because you are the master, because they were made too. If you were someone else, Codsworth won't give a dame. Do you they have feelings? Seems like it, but I would never give rights to Codsworth for one.

Great, now it odd to have him with me.

The difference between Codsworth and a Gen 3 is the overall free will I think. Codsworth has a limited ability to think and feel, and limited free will, by design. He sticks to cleaning for 200 years not out of a sense of dedication, but because his programming didnt allow him enough free will to decide otherwise. I guarantee a gen 3 would say screw this and go do something else.

No matter your view, its a fascinating subject. And each faction really can be viewed as "right". When Maxson is addressing you during that Danse moment, despite the BoS being very hardline and a little tyranical at times, his speech is still true. The gen 3's are just 1 step away from being exactly like Terminators from that series. And thus they ARE a significant threat.

Yet he is also wrong in that they are useful, as the Institue points out.

And they are wrong in that givint he opportunity they are able to live a true life and think freely due to their unique programming.

Really comes down to who's view you feel is the most right. I think Maxson is secretly John Connor, and thats why he hates the Synths so much :P

Codsworth is pre-programmed to dislike 'evil' / distasteful acts, aggression, etc, since he was a robot designed to help around the house. If they were programmed to be ok with out right murder, abuse, etc, then people wouldve used them for terrible purposes straight from the factory lol. On his own, Codsworth cannot change his viewpoints on such things - a gen 3 synth CAN. Gen 3's can come to love violence, or perhaps understand its role, etc.