Very torn between NMM and MO

Prenihility

If you use MO do yourself (and everyone else) a favor and actually read the documentation. The official Mod Organizer guide and support forums are hosted by the STEP project. MO is more powerful than any of the other tools which means you can cause a bigger mess with it if you don't know what you're doing. :smile:

Yeah, i've been watching video tutorials for some time now. Apparently you've got to install MO into every separate directory of every game you want to use it for? That's really the only disappointing thing i came across.

Once upon a time I was an avid MO user, defending it with all my enthusiasm against "haters". Then it started breaking my stuff on a regular basis.

I'm not sure about how it handles itself today, but then I don't care anymore. That's because I'm pretty content with NMM albeit it tended to break itself (but not the game) during updates in the past. Haven't had that in at least two years now...

Just my two cents...

Once upon a time I was an avid MO user, defending it with all my enthusiasm against "haters". Then it started breaking my stuff on a regular basis.

I'm not sure about how it handles itself today, but then I don't care anymore. That's because I'm pretty content with NMM albeit it tended to break itself (but not the game) during updates in the past. Haven't had that in at least two years now...

Just my two cents...

Question about the nexus mod manager, do you have to worry about sorting the mods to match loot like with mo? I hate how time consuming mo has become for me and how much misinformation there is, I would of just embraced nexus simplicity if it wasnt for the fact mo has a safe area for mods and wont break my game.

Question about the nexus mod manager, do you have to worry about sorting the mods to match loot like with mo? I hate how time consuming mo has become for me and how much misinformation there is, I would have just embraced nexus simplicity if it wasnt for the fact mo has a safe area for mods and wont break my game.

You would have to explain what you mean by it. Plugins are sorted in MO by using loot. The same has to be done in NMM as well so there is no difference. If you are talking about left pane then you are better off with MO rather than NMM. Unlike with MO you have to reinstall all mods that modify the same files in the same order as your plugins. And actually it does not have to be so.

Also you "don't have to". As usual it depends on which version of the scripts you want.

Question about the nexus mod manager, do you have to worry about sorting the mods to match loot like with mo? I hate how time consuming mo has become for me and how much misinformation there is, I would have just embraced nexus simplicity if it wasnt for the fact mo has a safe area for mods and wont break my game.

If most of your files are packaged properly (with resource files packed into BSA files) then you should be able to disable the resource management feature in Mod Organizer and not have to worry as much about the left pane. The entire point of Mod Organizer's left pane is to have full control over how resources are loaded, but with very few exceptions if the resources aren't loaded in the same order as the plugins you have problems.

Best modding practice if you aren't using Mod Organizer (and even if you are really) would be to make sure the resource files for every mod are packed into a BSA archive for that mod. (That means manually creating a BSA for the mods that distribute the resources as loose files.) Then in the rare cases of conflicts or problems you extract the resources from a particular mod that are getting overwritten incorrectly. (And the only loose files you would have in your Data folder are the ones resolving conflicts.)

That's how the game developers expected things to work. Unfortunately packing resources into BSA files in previous games didn't work well so when experienced modders starting making mods for Skyrim they assumed they should still continue distributing loose files and that mod managers like Wrye Bash and Mod Organizer would need powerful tools to manage the various versions.

If most of your files are packaged properly (with resource files packed into BSA files) then you should be able to disable the resource management feature in Mod Organizer and not have to worry as much about the left pane. The entire point of Mod Organizer's left pane is to have full control over how resources are loaded, but with very few exceptions if the resources aren't loaded in the same order as the plugins you have problems.

Best modding practice if you aren't using Mod Organizer (and even if you are really) would be to make sure the resource files for every mod are packed into a BSA archive for that mod. (That means manually creating a BSA for the mods that distribute the resources as loose files.) Then in the rare cases of conflicts or problems you extract the resources from a particular mod that are getting overwritten incorrectly. (And the only loose files you would have in your Data folder are the ones resolving conflicts.)

That's how the game developers expected things to work. Unfortunately packing resources into BSA files in previous games didn't work well so when experienced modders starting making mods for Skyrim they assumed they should still continue distributing loose files and that mod managers like Wrye Bash and Mod Organizer would need powerful tools to manage the various versions.

Well I install them manually, I dont do the extracting into bsas like some do as it seems very complicated and scary to me with my near 250 mods.

So what your saying is by default I dont need to worry about it the left side, so how do I know which ones I do need to concern myself with, and if I sorted on the left cant that make the game load faster for me and have better performance?