Potentially good place for a player home.

NDDragor

Once the Creation Kit is out I want to make a player home. It will have one main building and a small workshop building plus a garden. I am looking for a potentially good place in the map where I could build my player home. The place shouldn't be too close to other locations or enemy spawn points and it would be great if the ground would be somehow even. I am currently checking the game for such places but maybe somebody has already found a place in the map that would meet such requirements and be suitable for building a player home?

I think one or two cells, but it depends how that place will be split by cells and I would prefer to have nothing important on those cells. Trees, bushes, or wreckage wont be a problem but there shouldn't be any other buildings, camps or containers with loot.

I think one or two cells, but it depends how that place will be split by cells and I would prefer to have nothing important on those cells. Trees, bushes, or wreckage wont be a problem but there shouldn't be any other buildings, camps or containers with loot.

Why do you need 2 cells? Isn't 1 cell enough for you? A cell can be almost as large as your memory (and the game engine) can handle. It is pretty huge. I guess the biggest known cell is Diamond City? But Bethesda is being conservative, you can go even much bigger than Diamond City.

And here is the good thing. You can make yourself a small cell, yet with .... a horizon view. You just can't go to the horizon. So your new player home can be an island in the middle of no where, on top of mountain, or even a floating island (like in Zelda). Or under the sea .... or, if you are good, you can create a "fake" Diamond City using existing texture to fake an apartment view as if you actually live in Diamond City. Can script a few random NPC walking around in the distance to suggest a busy city streets. In Skyrim, there is this floating island home. You have a great view of the land below, only it is fake low-res Whiterun. If you attempt to jump down, then the fall will teleport you to on top of Whiterun (notice the hiccup) and you fall to your death, for realism.

Mythical flying island can be too much immersion breaking for FO4. But how about a flying fortress (like Sky Captain with Jude Law and Angelina Jolie) that is actually a flying aircraft carrier. if this is a BOS theme, you can animate a few Vertibirds flying around for visual effects. That is one amazing player home.

No I meant an interior. If it had it own then hostiles won't be a problem.

Oh, I plan on making an interior for the main building, but the workshop building and the garden wont have an interior. I want the area around the home to be safe from enemies.

Why do you need 2 cells? Isn't 1 cell enough for you? A cell can be almost as large as your memory (and the game engine) can handle. It is pretty huge. I guess the biggest known cell is Diamond City? But Bethesda is being conservative, you can go even much bigger than Diamond City.

And here is the good thing. You can make yourself a small cell, yet with .... a horizon view. You just can't go to the horizon. So your new player home can be an island in the middle of no where, on top of mountain, or even a floating island (like in Zelda). Or under the sea .... or, if you are good, you can create a "fake" Diamond City using existing texture to fake an apartment view as if you actually live in Diamond City. Can script a few random NPC walking around in the distance to suggest a busy city streets. In Skyrim, there is this floating island home. You have a great view of the land below, only it is fake low-res Whiterun. If you attempt to jump down, then the fall will teleport you to on top of Whiterun (notice the hiccup) and you fall to your death, for realism.

Mythical flying island can be too much immersion breaking for FO4. But how about a flying fortress (like Sky Captain with Jude Law and Angelina Jolie) that is actually a flying aircraft carrier. if this is a BOS theme, you can animate a few Vertibirds flying around for visual effects. That is one amazing player home.

I mean the cells in the worldspace. The player home will be in the vanilla game map, just like the Red Rocket Truckstop for example. Since the Creation Kit inst out yet I cant see how big the cells are but I am pretty sure that they will be like in the previous Fallout or Elder Scrolls games. So of course one cell is more then enough, but if the perfect spot in the worldmap is on the border of two or even 4 cells then I will be forced to build on more then one cell.

The idea of a flying fortress as a player home is really interesting and I think it could even fit into the Fallout 4 world, since we already have the Brotherhoods Prydwen as an flying fortress and why couldn't the same technologies that are keeping the Prydwen in the air be used to make a small floating island? And then there are all the technologies from the Institute as well. But I want my first player home to be just a normal shack or house somewhere in the wasteland. Still the idea of the flying island sounds interesting and challenging to create.

Okay, you can easily disable the area to never reset so that spawns won't respawn.

This is from Skyrim, but will it should give you a good idea about what do when the GECK drops http://www.creationkit.com/Bethesda_Tutorial_Dungeon_Wrapup

There is also a bit about locations and how they work with keywords. If the location had any, it may be wise to remove them. They are used for AI packages, area commentary by NPCs and stuff like that. Just make sure the area you in has no quests whatsoever.

With very basic landscaping skills (it just drag it down and up like clay.) you can change an area to make it flatter, make pounds and lakes and whatnot. Trust me it easy.

Okay, you can easily disable the area to never reset so that spawns won't respawn.

This is from Skyrim, but will it should give you a good idea about what do when the GECK drops http://www.creationkit.com/Bethesda_Tutorial_Dungeon_Wrapup

There is also a bit about locations and how they work with keywords. If the location had any, it may be wise to remove them. They are used for AI packages, area commentary by NPCs and stuff like that. Just make sure the area you in has no quests whatsoever.

With very basic landscaping skills (it just drag it down and up like clay.) you can change an area to make it flatter, make pounds and lakes and whatnot. Trust me it easy.

Landscaping and object placement wont be a problem since I have done a huge mod for Fallout NV with new landscapes and the creation kit for Fallout 4 shouldn't be too different from the Fallout NV one. The problem will be finding a suitable place in the worldmap since its kinda really crowded in Fallout 4 and many locations are very close to each other. Plus I want to make as few changes to the original worldspace as possible. I could expand the worldmaps borders somewhere but I dont know if some in the future upcoming DLC will use that area.

Still thnx for the information even if its about Skyrim, since I am currently testing some things in Skyrims creation kit and this will be rly useful.

Edited by NDDragor

Landscaping and object placement wont be a problem since I have done a huge mod for Fallout NV with new landscapes and the creation kit for Fallout 4 shouldn't be too different from the Fallout NV one. The problem will be finding a suitable place in the worldmap since its kinda really crowded in Fallout 4 and many locations are very close to each other. Plus I want to make as few changes to the original worldspace as possible. I could expand the worldmaps borders somewhere but I dont know if some in the future upcoming DLC will use that area.

You know, I was thinking of a house mod in the city, a hidden one.

See all the boarded buildings? I'm thinking of filling one and give it some kind of a secret entrance like a sewer from somewhere. Like a hideout from riders and mutes. It would be boarded up from inside as well but just like a normal house. If you played assassin creed (the first one was it?) you may know what I mean.

For the location, try going western south. I'm half sure there were buildings near a rider camp, not really that close. And the area where BOS shows up via the main quest seems like a good place too. You may wanna walk across the coast as well, found many areas that seems safe to have a house in. It high level however found many queens in my run.

You can easily make a patch later when the DLC shows up.