⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Does anyone use automatic weapons?

infamousxiii

I play with Automatics. :smile: I tried single shot the first time for exactly that reason though - ammo economy.

I've found auto's are A LOT more powerful, especially with legendaries. Still, you're right - ammo economy does tend to be its Achilles heel. My solution to this is to use scavenged ammo for the simple stuff (.38, .45, shells, etc), and bring out my serious stuff when the going got tough (plasma, Fusion cells). This is all made a fair bit simpler thanks to having maxed out Scrounger, though I'll confess that there are still times when I wish munitions were a little cheaper. Despite this, I'm 2 weeks into the game, and I've got 376 plasma cartridges saved up, along with 42 fusion cores.

Cells are harder for me to keep stocked on, since I tend to use that for a lot of the intermediate threats.

(I play Survival Mode - I need the good stuff for the harder stuff)

I haven't touched the console a single time, other than to debug Preston, so yeah. It can be done. Just gotta think in terms of the environment and recall that resource scarcity is a theme here. Stockpile the sweet stuff, and let hail when the right time arrives!

(Also to reiterate a point made by a prior poster: SHORT BURSTS. Otherwise you won't hit anything.)

Edited by Crixas

I prefer semi-auto for most situations (always aiming for the head or legs), however I've started using suppressed auto rifles for stealth kills. I've progressed through using DOOM's full-auto versions of the Mac-11, LK-05, and now the SCAR-LK as my stealth weapons of choice, initially using semi-auto versions of the M9 .38 (replaced my 10mm at the beginning of the game), then the USP .45 and Deliverer. My main go-to weapons are the MK14 EBR .308 semi-auto by Dazzerfong and a fully modded semi-auto Righteous Authority using the Supercharged Capacitor from the Super Laser Rifle mod by gokuGX. And of course, a pimped out XM73 Experimental Gauss by Tumbajamba for sniping (upgraded from the M82a3 AMR, which replaced my 50 cal Hunting Rifle). And yes, as already iterated, short bursts lol.

The only full-auto weapon I use for all-out Rambo-style combat is the Gatling Rifle by Henkspamadres (which replaced my Minigun) using the standard 5mm ammo and an exploding rounds legendary I found thanks to the mod using leveled lists (OP as sh** when you have full Commando/Heavy and Explosives perks). That beast shreds literally *everything* so I try to minimize how often I use it, also it blows up friendlies just as quick so most situations won't allow for it anyway (I've actually blown myself up with it a few times using it in close quarters by accident lol). Even Legendary Mythic Deathclaws and the Legendary Gojira himself (with the Deadly Predators and 99% Tougher Deathclaws mods even) take one look at this gun and run for the hills. When I can't (or don't want to) use the Gatling Rifle I still have a Gatling Laser which adheres to more vanilla styled play against bosses or groups of mobs when friendlies are in the mix.

So that's my loadout and upgrade progression lol. :laugh:

TL;DR - It's all situational, I like both. Semi-auto for the majority of play, full-auto for quick stealth kills and when s*** really hits the fan (i.e. surrounded by Super Mutants or Ferals). I even throw melee in there for some VATS hack and slash action, it's pretty amusing jumping around using the Blitz and Gun Fu perks. Shoving a katana through someone's chest is one of my favorite kill cams lol.

Wik - Playing on Very Hard and I only use the console for things I literally could not otherwise do, such as having the resources to build super settlements (since you have to use infinite budget to do this anyway, I don't count it as my standard gameplay and keep my normally killed/scavved-for items separate), or spamming 'moveto player' to keep my companions and NPCs in line lol. Bastards always disappearing and ending up in the weirdest damn places, or crippled on the ground from falling off buildings.

Also Wik - I've been playing for about a month now give or take, finally broke level 100 the other night. I haven't had much issue with ammo conservation myself, though for the first 80 levels or so I looted literally everything I came across, even if it meant loading up my companion's inventory and making multiple trips to town (Strong Back rank 4 is a must-have doing this, I also put servo mods on my PA leg pieces to raise carry weight). In addition to mass-looting I trade the majority of said loot for ammo instead of caps. Having a solid melee weapon also offsets the ammo use (Katana Insanity, Buster Sword, or Mad Can Fury Beans are all great mods). I try to balance my gameplay by using melee as much as possible and cutting my full-auto and PA use to when it's absolutely necessary (like fighting Deathclaws or Super Mutant and Charred Feral hordes).

Edit - I almost forgot to mention using DOOM's M2019 PKD Detective Special with the Revolvers Overhaul mod by CharacterCreator for fanning action makes for a glorious good time when going up against 1-3 enemies at a time. DDP's 'Thumper' 40mm M79 grenade launcher is another great tool for when you don't want to bother with the whole throwing grenades thing. Both are great alternatives to full-auto weapons.

Edited by PhoenixKnight13

Well, I'm mostly a melee guy, if anyone couldn't tell from my making dozens of melee weapons from rapiers to halberds for FO3 and NV, but I've played with automatics.

Essentially the trick is to

A) carry a weapon for more than a caliber

C) take the perks for automatics, or generally whatever weapons you use. If you do twice the damage per shot, considering how armor works, you need about a third of the ammo to take an armoured opponent down. Or so.

These two. I constantly carry both a submachine gun and an assaultgun.

And I was a bit lucky, the submachine gun has explosive bullets (it's a legendary you can find somewhere), but so does the assaultgun (dropped from a mirelurk). The explosive bullets basically makes it deal even more damage, and now not only the automatic weapon perk improves the damage, but so does the explosives perk.

These two still chew through ammo like there's no tomorrow, but they're lifesavers in a tight situations.

I've been using the LK-05 mod and I even went in with FO4Edit and jacked up the firing rate even higher. I've also been playing with the Silver Submachinegun Receiver which adds a receiver for the submachinegun that bumps damage and fire rate a bit and makes it a much more viable gun late game, and can even be added to legendary weapons. Spray N' Pray plus that receiver is a lot of fun. I use the LK-05 with the Wounding effect and it's sweet.

I dislike cheating a lot, for a ton of reasons, for one, immersion.
Last time I cheated was 7 years ago, I think, when I got stuck in a game, a bug putting an obstacle in a doorway, that I needed to get through.
Had to use a game save editor to get me past that doorway.

But yesterday I had such a f*#@ed up day, that, when I got home, I fired up FO4, loaded my V111 exit save, cheated me a minigun and about 100.000 rounds, OF COURSE overweighed, so I cheated that one as well, went out, and killed anything that moved.

One cannot believe how good it feels to go nuts like that, while blasting some Death Metal or Black Metal. XD

I've started walking around with a modified Desert Eagle, it can take a Deathclaw out with 3 or 4 shots, less if I'm in stealth, and a Queen (or King) Mirelurk with 1 clip of 14 bullets. I use a sniper rifle for distance work ( I have several). I use mods, but then I'm not THAT good at games (I'm not THAT bad neither) but I like to enjoy them. If that means modding, so be it.

I've got a auto/mele build, with rank three scrounger (survival difficulty). I keep 4 different ammo type automatics on me at all times, and alts of all ammo types back at base. That way I've always got ammo for something (including my double shot pipe .38, which holds its own pretty well in most zones still, and I'm at lvl 50 with that character).

You don't need settlements to make it work. I sell weapons and ammo of types I have a surplus of, and only when scrounger fails to produce enough. I hardly ever go into an encounter with less than 500-600 rounds for everything I'm packing.

I do use a shoulder bag mod sometimes, to carry more guns to sell, but my carry weight is only increased by 100, and I don't use the carry weight perk.

Bearing in mind that FO4 is a single-player with no multiplayer function, I don't get this whole concept of cheating while playing a Bethesda game on PC. On a console, sure. It's a closed system, so anything that breaks the system is a kind of hack. But the PC version was designed to be modified, either by downloading mods from this site or by making tweaks in the console. The game's developers balanced the game one way (based on a whole bunch of reasons, many of them commercially motivated). If you decide that you don't like how they've balanced it, why shouldn't you change it? Right now I have a mod that allows me to build robots to defend my settlements, which obviously makes the game easier. I have another mod that makes my settlers mortal, which makes the game more challenging. Neither is a cheat. They're just different ways of balancing. In the same way, if I want access to something that's isn't readily available in the game (and which I think should be), I just open up the console and get typing. If you do it within moderation, I don't see the problem and it doesn't particularly break immersion.

So regarding the OP's original question... It you want to use automatic weapons, just open the console and give yourself a little extra ammo. It won't break the game. It will just allow you to play the game the way you want to play it (and I mean, you paid good money for the damn thing, so might as well enjoy it). Just be thankful Bethesda gave us the option to do this. I've been trying to get into AC Syndicate the past few weeks - but the inability to mod the game to fit my tastes and not those of Ubisoft is really pissing me off.