Unusually long load times addressed in Fallout 4 Beta Patch 1.3.47

SirSalami

Bethesda needs to polish their damn engine, get more people (100 people for AAA game dev company.. really), and hire some writers and better/more coders (incline towards better). Engine's fine, but has too many unsolved bugs and unpolished areas, thus people be like "too old, bad, outdated". Most common game engines are not much younger than Creation engine (2011). So yea.. ask for better coding, not new engine. Few can handle what this one does.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #33862040.

Ethreon wrote:

Bethesda needs to polish their damn engine, get more people (100 people for AAA game dev company.. really), and hire some writers and better/more coders (incline towards better). Engine's fine, but has too many unsolved bugs and unpolished areas, thus people be like "too old, bad, outdated". Most common game engines are not much younger than Creation engine (2011). So yea.. ask for better coding, not new engine. Few can handle what this one does.

i kinda agree with you there. They need more skilled people, all over the board.

Textures are 2k, but look worse than skyrim in some areas (hell, some almost reminded me of fallout 3). And we see what modders here have pulled off in therms of texture improvements. They need to get their s#*! together! ESPECIALLY in the frigin world! Even in 1080p the textures look blurry, washed out, and the stupid fog they use all over the damn place makes everything look like someone is trying to hide poor work.

Their codes tend to be terribly optmized and buggy. To the point where i think a large enough group of monkeys with typewriters can do the same. ANd just look at what tim did with skyrim. With my old ATI radeon hd 5870 i had like 40ish FPS at release, now i run the official texture pack at 60. ONLY thanks to game optimizations from bethesda's side.

Get some damn beta testers. Yes, it is one of the most stable releases ever. But come on, even your fans are mking fun of you for your bug riddled games. Bethesda, get your s#*! together. I don't care if they pick 100 random modders to do it, or if they pay people. Hell, as long as i got all other expenses covered, i'd happily test their game for a whole frigin month if i could just dick around in it and report any bugs i found. I wouldn't even demand payment per hour for it!

In response to post #33824310.

vangriffeth wrote: This is my first post on these forums, but I am a long time lurker.

I have been playing Bethesda games since Morrowind, back when I had an Athlon XP!

Anyway, this is the first Bethesda game, since Morrowind, where in its Vanilla state I had not 1 CTD!

Played the game straight through as Vanilla (always try this before modding so I have a baseline to judge against), and was just overjoyed at the fact that it ran like hot butter.

Load times were slow, but this was mainly because, at the time, I was running on a 5 year old WD HDD ^_^;;;

Soon as I swapped to a SSD (transcend ssd250 if ya wander), load times basically vanished.

NOW, since I have started modding like mad (think I have like 68+ mods atm, not at home so couldn't tell you a full figure), the load times have basically remained steady. Areas where I have added tremendous amounts of mods (e.g. settlements), load times are longer, but not to the point its aggravating.

I have seen it mentioned above that people need to check that they have changed their method of MOD validation in their ini files. YOU MUST DO THIS. The one time I did have any lag, was due to this ONE fact. Was like, "...wow this is taking a long time. Hmm check Nexus...oh look a new way to mod in the ini files...[changes ini settings]...ah there we go now no load time." That. Was. It.

Now, in Skyrim, we had the whole issue of it being "kinda" large address aware, meaning that you could get infinite loading screens. So, I can see how people would be worried this bug is back to bite us in the behind. However, I think this (for most players), is simply a matter of incorrect ini settings, combined with maybe too many mods in a given "in-game" location.

Also, keep in mind that the creation kit isn't out yet, so understanding mod organisation and correct mod delineation is still a bit of sorcery rather than science. So it would also help to fiddle your load orders and see if that fixes any load lag.

TLDR: Check your INI files, Check your Load Order, Check how many mods you have in a given location, Switch to a SSD, Be Happy! :D

Exactly the same principles behind why both My housemates compueter(s) Do not experience the same crappy loadtimes.

Gotta invest soon!

In response to post #33824310. #33898565 is also a reply to the same post.

vangriffeth wrote: This is my first post on these forums, but I am a long time lurker.

I have been playing Bethesda games since Morrowind, back when I had an Athlon XP!

Anyway, this is the first Bethesda game, since Morrowind, where in its Vanilla state I had not 1 CTD!

Played the game straight through as Vanilla (always try this before modding so I have a baseline to judge against), and was just overjoyed at the fact that it ran like hot butter.

Load times were slow, but this was mainly because, at the time, I was running on a 5 year old WD HDD ^_^;;;

Soon as I swapped to a SSD (transcend ssd250 if ya wander), load times basically vanished.

NOW, since I have started modding like mad (think I have like 68+ mods atm, not at home so couldn't tell you a full figure), the load times have basically remained steady. Areas where I have added tremendous amounts of mods (e.g. settlements), load times are longer, but not to the point its aggravating.

I have seen it mentioned above that people need to check that they have changed their method of MOD validation in their ini files. YOU MUST DO THIS. The one time I did have any lag, was due to this ONE fact. Was like, "...wow this is taking a long time. Hmm check Nexus...oh look a new way to mod in the ini files...[changes ini settings]...ah there we go now no load time." That. Was. It.

Now, in Skyrim, we had the whole issue of it being "kinda" large address aware, meaning that you could get infinite loading screens. So, I can see how people would be worried this bug is back to bite us in the behind. However, I think this (for most players), is simply a matter of incorrect ini settings, combined with maybe too many mods in a given "in-game" location.

Also, keep in mind that the creation kit isn't out yet, so understanding mod organisation and correct mod delineation is still a bit of sorcery rather than science. So it would also help to fiddle your load orders and see if that fixes any load lag.

TLDR: Check your INI files, Check your Load Order, Check how many mods you have in a given location, Switch to a SSD, Be Happy! :D
Knowidee wrote: Exactly the same principles behind why both My housemates compueter(s) Do not experience the same crappy loadtimes.

Gotta invest soon!

Seeing as how I have no mods, fresh installed fallout loads like s#*! whether installed on my SSD or not. It takes some time, usually after getting about 20+ hours in a savegame, but it always happens. Ridiculous load times. Count yourself lucky.

In response to post #33862040. #33872225 is also a reply to the same post.

Ethreon wrote:

dartmaul15 wrote: i kinda agree with you there. They need more skilled people, all over the board.

Textures are 2k, but look worse than skyrim in some areas (hell, some almost reminded me of fallout 3). And we see what modders here have pulled off in therms of texture improvements. They need to get their s#*! together! ESPECIALLY in the frigin world! Even in 1080p the textures look blurry, washed out, and the stupid fog they use all over the damn place makes everything look like someone is trying to hide poor work.

Their codes tend to be terribly optmized and buggy. To the point where i think a large enough group of monkeys with typewriters can do the same. ANd just look at what tim did with skyrim. With my old ATI radeon hd 5870 i had like 40ish FPS at release, now i run the official texture pack at 60. ONLY thanks to game optimizations from bethesda's side.

Get some damn beta testers. Yes, it is one of the most stable releases ever. But come on, even your fans are mking fun of you for your bug riddled games. Bethesda, get your s#*! together. I don't care if they pick 100 random modders to do it, or if they pay people. Hell, as long as i got all other expenses covered, i'd happily test their game for a whole frigin month if i could just dick around in it and report any bugs i found. I wouldn't even demand payment per hour for it!

2011? Creation engine is just a modified Gamebryo Engine, which Bethesda's been using since before 2002. They can add as many "upgrades" as they want, but the problems will remain. They're never going to get more than decent animations, seamless transition from external/internal areas, or smooth non-wonky looking LODs, among other things on the creation engine. I've been playing Bethesda games as long as I can remember, but unfortunately they're too afraid to change and take a chance with a new engine, especially with all the demand for mod support and open world sandbox that we've all come to expect from them.

i tried the beta patch for a bit, but i kept getting stuttering, like the old skyrim large-save bug - but mroe often, about every 20 seconds. so i uninstalled it, hope it doesnt carry over to live.

did anyone else experience this?

In response to post #33862040. #33872225, #33914585 are all replies on the same post.

Ethreon wrote:

dartmaul15 wrote: i kinda agree with you there. They need more skilled people, all over the board.

blizzbones wrote: 2011? Creation engine is just a modified Gamebryo Engine, which Bethesda's been using since before 2002. They can add as many "upgrades" as they want, but the problems will remain. They're never going to get more than decent animations, seamless transition from external/internal areas, or smooth non-wonky looking LODs, among other things on the creation engine. I've been playing Bethesda games as long as I can remember, but unfortunately they're too afraid to change and take a chance with a new engine, especially with all the demand for mod support and open world sandbox that we've all come to expect from them.

@dartmaul, one of the most stable releases ?
It CTD's every 2 minutes with me, loading times are in the 3 minutes with SSD and i5 and 32GB RAM and R9 290x 8GB.

I was able to play it for longer earlier, but lately i can't even play it anymore cause it just quits to desktop.
Been searching for days to find if i can fix it.

I have extensive experience with gamebryo engine cause i modded since Fallout 3 and handled just about every aspect of the game in the GECK, and i have a thourough understanding of game engines in general.

I know for a fact that the hardcoded code has a shitload of bugs in it, and so does the scripts that aren't hardcoded, to fix the engine they would need help of some better programmers, that is the simple truth, the coders they have now just aren't good enough, they're no whizz kids that's for sure.

In response to post #33696365.

Khazakhan wrote: Well, my load times were long-ish. Anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds.

I updated to beta.

My load times are now 30 seconds to 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

Can I revert back, or am I somewhat screwed for now?

same here, fasttravel and from exterior to interior loads up fast, but from interiors to exterior is sometimes 5 minutes, more then enough time to make a cup of coffee, it is simply ridiculous.

also have a fast PC and loading from SSD.