Please help with installing unofficial patch and Shivering Isles

GhoulSlayer

Hello,

I haven't played Oblivion (PC) in quite awhile and I decided to pick it up again. I have a different computer than I did the last time I played so all of my mods and game saves are long gone. I had to install it all over again. I remember there were a lot of problems that were fixed by the unofficial patch so I decided to go ahead and install that right away. I downloaded the "Unofficial_Oblivion_Patch_v3_2_0_OMOD_Version-5296.omod" and "Unofficial_Patch_Supplementals-27710-3-3-5.7z" I can't figure out how to install them. When I try to double click them I get the popup that tells me it's an unknown file type and asks me what program I should use to open them. I'm guessing that I should just drop them into one of my Oblivion folders but I'm not sure and I wouldn't know which folder anyway. In case you need my OS it's Widows 7 64 bit ultimate.

Also, I purchased Shivering Isles d2d and I thought I made a hard copy but I can't seem to find it. Is there a way to recover that? I think I purchased a key that allows me to download it again anytime from whatever website it was I bought it from. I'm sure it was one of the most common websites used at the time (about 2 years ago?). I want to say I downloaded it from the official website but I may have been redirected from there to another website to download it.

The .omod file is set up for installation with Oblivion mod manager. You will need to download, and install that in order to use the omod format file type. (available here on the nexus.)

The .7z file is a compressed file, and you need the correct tool to open it up. 7zip is what was used for that one.... a google search will turn up the installer for it.

The other thing to consider is getting it straight as to which version of Shivering Isles you own. The reason for this is that the Shivering Isles is the only one of the 'expansions' that replaces the Oblivion executable. If your Shivering Isles came from the Direct2Drive or Impulse download services then it is an encrypted version (above and beyond the CD check used by a normal disk install). When you get to installing mods that require Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) that will determine whether or not OBSE will work with your game version (OBSE will not work with either D2D or Impulse versions). If you are mixing download service SI with a disk version of Oblivion you will need to carefully research what official patches you can use and what order to use for doing the patching and installing SI (carefully read the patch requirements for version compatibility).

The other thing to consider is getting it straight as to which version of Shivering Isles you own. The reason for this is that the Shivering Isles is the only one of the 'expansions' that replaces the Oblivion executable. If your Shivering Isles came from the Direct2Drive or Impulse download services then it is an encrypted version (above and beyond the CD check used by a normal disk install). When you get to installing mods that require Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) that will determine whether or not OBSE will work with your game version (OBSE will not work with either D2D or Impulse versions). If you are mixing download service SI with a disk version of Oblivion you will need to carefully research what official patches you can use and what order to use for doing the patching and installing SI (carefully read the patch requirements for version compatibility).

Well, right now I don't have any copy of Shivering Isles. I'm trying to find out if I can re-download it somehow without having to pay for it a second time.

The .omod file is set up for installation with Oblivion mod manager. You will need to download, and install that in order to use the omod format file type. (available here on the nexus.)

The .7z file is a compressed file, and you need the correct tool to open it up. 7zip is what was used for that one.... a google search will turn up the installer for it.

1. Thanks, I don't know if I'm going to get into modding or not. I was thinking about it. So, I guess I should use this version?

2. Thanks also for the heads up on the 7zip.

Edited by GhoulSlayer

You want the latest and greatest version of the game. (1.2.0416) Alleviates one possible issue with playing with mods......

If you still have your account information for D2D, you should be able to log in, look at your history, and re-download it. As it is just one of the expansions/dlc, encryption shouldn't be an issue. I don't think...... Should just be an installer anyway.

As it is just one of the expansions/dlc, encryption shouldn't be an issue. I don't think...... Should just be an installer anyway.

The problem is SI won't be installed like other DLCs. When installed, it will change Oblivion.exe and Oblivion.esm, by adding new contents and script commands. So you cannot 'disable' it once installed unless you uninstall the whole game.

If you want to be able to add mods to Oblivion, with SI, you WILL need a disk release or the Steam version of Oblivion. The Steam Deluxe version comes with all (I think) of the DLC modules, the Disk "Game of the Year" comes with just Knights of the Nine, and you would need to either buy and download the others, or hunt down a copy of the Knights of the Nine CD which had all apart from Battle horn Castle DLC included.

We don't support "downloaded from somewhere" disk images and will give no help to people who use them.

As for the .7z files, a recent version of Winzip or Winrar would extract them, or download 7zip (free) which creates them)

Edited by MarkInMKUK

You want the latest and greatest version of the game. (1.2.0416) Alleviates one possible issue with playing with mods......

I went to the official site and downloaded the latest patch (1.2.0416UK). I think I screwed up there. I thought it was the regular patch. Should I somehow get rid of that and look for the North American version? If so, what do I need to do? My earlier question wasn't about the version of the game but the version of the unofficial patch.

As it is just one of the expansions/dlc, encryption shouldn't be an issue. I don't think...... Should just be an installer anyway.

The problem is SI won't be installed like other DLCs. When installed, it will change Oblivion.exe and Oblivion.esm, by adding new contents and script commands. So you cannot 'disable' it once installed unless you uninstall the whole game.

So you can't mod if you have the d2d version of SI?

If you want to be able to add mods to Oblivion, with SI, you WILL need a disk release or the Steam version of Oblivion. The Steam Deluxe version comes with all (I think) of the DLC modules, the Disk "Game of the Year" comes with just Knights of the Nine, and you would need to either buy and download the others, or hunt down a copy of the Knights of the Nine CD which had all apart from Battle horn Castle DLC included.

We don't support "downloaded from somewhere" disk images and will give no help to people who use them.

As for the .7z files, a recent version of Winzip or Winrar would extract them, or download 7zip (free) which creates them)

Same question

P.S. I already have a copy of Knights of the Nine.

Edited by GhoulSlayer