DDoS attack on sites [Updated]

Dark0ne

what does ddos mean??

Distributed Denial of Service

It is an attack carried out by constantly sending a request to the site. When you click on the address you are sending one request and the site then processes the request. In this case, looks you up and allows you in. In the ddos, they really don't wait for a reply from the site, they just continuously send more requests. If you can get enough different people doing that with enough computers - unless there is some defense against it in place, it can bog the site down in trying to answer all of the requests.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what does ddos mean??

Distributed Denial of Service

It is an attack carried out by constantly sending a request to the site. When you click on the address you are sending one request and the site then processes the request. In this case, looks you up and allows you in. In the ddos, they really don't wait for a reply from the site, they just continuously send more requests. If you can get enough different people doing that with enough computers - unless there is some defense against it in place, it can bog the site down in trying to answer all of the requests.

Kinda like being in a room full of people and everyone wants to talk to you at the same time...and your head explodes from trying to keep track of 20 conversations at once. ;)

I agree with you 100%, and I'm glad you stood your ground. I don't know if you have the capabilities but if you do, I'd say track the little troll to his lair (his home via IP address) and have his ass arrested for cyber crimes. Anyway, I'm glad things are running smoothly.

I seem to be unable to get a couple downloads (vilja 3.01 patch and MMM omod installer). The download pages just aren't loading. Would this have something to do with it?

Edit: Maybe it's just Chrome acting up for some reason...

Edited by SilvasRuin

Shame we don't know where the petulant brat lives - a good spanking is in order here! Have to say though, between you and Krystal, I wouldn't have noticed anything was amiss, so well done all!

A couple of hours later, and I just read the welcome message on his silly site. Not so sure he is a he after all - sounds like a 14 yar old girl whose lost her favourite vampire romance novels and has PMS to boot! (I say this as a somewhat older female, before I'm slated for sexism there!)

Whatever - thieves should not prosper. A basic lesson this brat, of whatever gender, really needs to learn.

Edited by Lilaeth

This will fail, just like everything else he has done so far. If anonymous were to come for us their mandate would have lowered considerably.

Don't link to the site anywhere as it increases Google indexing.

Petulant Child's behaviour is just so last-century. I recall there were some links on this thread to that site. For the reasons you've stated, I am glad I am no longer able to find them. If you insert the following:

rel="nofollow"

you can preserve reference links while, at the same time, discouraging search engine indexing - but I'm not sure this always works because far too many sites have been abusing the rel attribute and major search engines tend to adapt to abuses by changing their behaviour. I think, in this case, not having any of those links here is the most prudent choice.

dshoub suggested bringing in the police. I agree. Not only has Petulant Child committed several criminal offences in the course of his/her/its campaign, but this primate (no offense to other primates) has also committed the crime of conspiracy (planning the commission of a crime with others) and incitement (asking other people to commit a crime). As I said in my last post on this thread, the likely reason for Petulant Child's behaviour is no reason to let down your guard or go any easier on him/her/it (if that is at all possible in this case). Just because Petulant Child has reasons for this behaviour, doesn't make it any less malicious or harmful to others. Thanks to bad parenting and an education system that sucks, it's a bit late for preventative measures - and, after the fact, the most effective courses of action are not just direct but avoid playing where the perp wants you to play.

Moreover, it seems to me that Petulant Child staged the whole thing. Let me get this straight. This primate (no offense to other primates) uploads what is obviously someone-else's work as his/her/its own, without addition or modification, and we are expected to believe that it is all a big misunderstanding. Righhhhht.... If that is how this started (and not some big misunderstanding on my part), then I can say that I have seen this kind of thing before. In my experience, this kind of nonsense has always been instigated by political activists trying to set the stage so they can manipulate an audience. I suspect that Petulant Child staged this to provoke a confrontation because this primate (no offense to other primates) thinks he/she/it has a tesuji to play. Again, I can say from experience that tesuji, whether in life or Go, rarely emerge in the opening rounds because this kind of play has to be engineered according to a premeditated plan of attack (in which case, the dDOS attacks would be a decoy designed to lure attention away from a more vital area).

In my somewhat anecdotal experience, there has been concerted social opposition to role playing games that has been instigated by a vocal little subculture ever since the emergence of pen and paper RPGs in the 1970s. Perhaps this is because some people fear the consequences of others using their imaginations to have a good time (e.g. instead of watching the idiot box). In light of this, the sorry farce being played out by Petulant Child screams "sock puppet". Sock puppets (including the print variety that adorned the editorials long before the internet) are the tools of political deceivers. Whatever the twisted rationale of such political "activists" turns out to be, role playing games have evolved into something too potent and far too important not to attract organised attention from luddites and other horrible misanthropes. So, given the significance of what is at stake (and we are talking about a whole new medium of the arts here), I think it would pay very well to prepare for, and expect, a certain amount of political deviousness when confronted by provocative behaviour - especially when that provocative behaviour is so brazenly stupid that only a sock puppet would "take" the credit.

I'm glad things are still working here, and I think that what you choose to do is ultimately your decision. I'm just expressing my concerns because I am sick and tired of seeing the really important online phenomena being systematically trashed by horrible misanthropic neoluddites like Petulant Child.

[And yes, I'm being judgemental and not very constructive here, but that is meagrely a product of my irritation with some of what has been going on over the past couple of decades.]

[EDIT]"...what has been gooing on..."??? - fixed, but priceless just the same[/EDIT]

Edited by RealmEleven

@RealmEleven: Your post is too long for me to quote, but I think you and I are somewhat thinking along the same lines with regard to the "Petulant Child" and some of its comments elsewhere. It seems to me that this happening while there are attacks being made on Sony's Playstation Network for people being banned for "hacking" their PS3s may in fact be deliberate; I know that there are people out there that have done that for the specific reason of modding their PS3 games, so there may be some motivation for the attackers there to join in on an attack on a mod distribution site for doing the exact same thing to users.

Ok, enough with the discussion of a topic that is expressly disallowed on the Nexus. Inappropriate posts removed from view.

For those who are in any doubt, please see Dark0ne's recent policy statement (clarifying the earlier one) on any form of "modding" for the console platforms: "Console modding is not supported here"

Well, I guess this kid's loving the fact that there are 16 pages (and continuing), including at least one long essay, all about his very own self on this site. I honestly don't understand why this hasn't been locked. Dark0ne could always keep us up to date on a separate locked thread of his own.

Well, I guess this kid's loving the fact that there are 16 pages (and continuing), including at least one long essay, all about his very own self on this site. I honestly don't understand why this hasn't been locked. Dark0ne could always keep us up to date on a separate locked thread of his own.

Here here. Let it die, people.