Dogmeat always underfoot and in the way

Numbnumb

I have a problem with Dogmeat. He is always getting in my way, especially in doorways and limited access areas. He is underfoot and there doesn't seem to be a command to give him to 'get out of MY WAY'.

It is very frustrating, as you might have noticed. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but, if so, have you been able to do something about it (other than a bullet to the brain, LOL)?

I have renamed him (unofficially in game) to Dogfart since he is a useless as one.

I wanted to temper my frustration with a little juvenile humor.

If any one has a solution, or hysterically funny comments or one liners, I would love to hear back.

Thanks!

It's not just Dogmeat, its all of them, Piper has really BAD BAD habit of crossing in front of me when im laying down a long burst from my Minigun.

Danse isn't any better, and he of all people SHOULD know better. I believe it has more to do with the AI and there path finding then anything specific to Dogmeat.

Oddly, I find that my different characters (I have an assortment) all have different experiences with companions. Some characters have problems with a companion being glued to their backside and some don't. It's never consistent.

I'd just be happy if Fleabait would forget how to open doors (learning to heel would be nice also).

Funny, I have the opposite problem more often than dogmeat getting in the way. I'll talk to him to try and trade things and he runs away before I can open the menu and I have to chase his ass halfway across the area x.x

I have a problem with Dogmeat. He is always getting in my way, especially in doorways and limited access areas. He is underfoot and there doesn't seem to be a command to give him to 'get out of MY WAY'.

You can command him to get out of your way without mods. Just talk to him and then shift your camera away. It will give you the option to send him over to whatever area of ground you're looking at. You can also make him pick up stuff for you. All companions will do this.

In general pathfinding and npc behavior is a joke, the worst problem imo is that when the pathfinding fails as usual, the npc is beeing teleported in front of the player. Whenever I try to sneak through a building, at least once the companion suddenly comes from the next room in front of me, often triggering the enemys. As described dogmeat tends to stay in the fireline, piper comes around the corners all the time, curie trys to wrestle with deathclaws and so on... The main issue is the pathfinding itself though, If you ever have built a structure with more than one floor, the npcs simply cannot access it, try to walk through walls, sometimes get stuck in the ground.

• 1 month later...

It is very frustrating, as you might have noticed. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but, if so, have you been able to do something about it (other than a bullet to the brain, LOL)?

I have renamed him (unofficially in game) to Dogfart since he is a useless as one.

I wanted to temper my frustration with a little juvenile humor.

If any one has a solution, or hysterically funny comments or one liners, I would love to hear back.

Thanks!

ma1025

Thanks for the info. I have downloaded it and will try it.

Edited by Numbnumb