Specifications for Graphics Mods?

omgitsns9

I'm a real advocate of built computers. I had one built for me about six years ago and I have slowly replaced the parts as technology gets more advanced so about all that is left of it is the motherboard and a few fans lol!

Seriously though, if you can find someone who can build a computer I would say that would be your best bet. Odds are, you will get a more advanced, less expensive computer. Just to give an example, the computer built for me was almost top-of-the-line six years ago and cost me a whopping $300.00 because all I had to do was buy the parts.

Pros: Easily repaired and upgraded (store bought computers TRY to make it difficult!!)

You can be sure you are getting what you want/need not what someone wants to sell you!

Whoever built your computer should be around for troubleshooting and repairs! (I suggest a computer nerd for a boyfriend :biggrin: )

I am looking in to an Asus G51JX-X2 right now. It's the older model, but with upgraded internal parts like the i7-720QM, and the Nvidia GTS 360M. I'll look in to a build your own though, see how that works. Thanks guys

Honestly you should build your own as previous posters have said (or get a friend to). You could get a very powerful gaming rig for that budget and have quality components too.

For example, a sandy bridge i5 build would look as follows:

mobo 125-130

CPU 210

RAM 80

PSU 80

495-500

Then add a nice graphics card (~$300), HDD (50-80) and a case (80). Well within your budget and much higher performance than what was listed previously.

Also Windows 7 professional can be had for $30 if you have a .edu email. (i.e. student)

Honestly you should build your own as previous posters have said (or get a friend to). You could get a very powerful gaming rig for that budget and have quality components too.

For example, a sandy bridge i5 build would look as follows:

mobo 125-130

CPU 210

RAM 80

PSU 80

495-500

Then add a nice graphics card (~$300), HDD (50-80) and a case (80). Well within your budget and much higher performance than what was listed previously.

Also Windows 7 professional can be had for $30 if you have a .edu email. (i.e. student)

Where would I go about guying a Sandy Bridge build, or perhaps just a good casing?

Ok, I'm curious. This is the computer the OP is looking at. http://www.bing.com/shopping/asus-g51jx-x2-core-i7-720qm-1-6-ghz-15-6-tft/specs/FB86CD188E1BA27E0001?q=Asus+G51JX-X2&FORM=CMSMSP

So my question is, how is the OP going to have a *laptop* of similar quality or better custom built for less money? And do you guys actually know people that hand build laptops? If so I am incredibly jealous. Have things really changed that much in the last few years? You can build your own better laptop now for cheaper than a Dell or Asus? I feel old now. Where do you buy a laptop case? Just looked, couldn't find any online, but I was going to the old case mod sites where I used to go to see all the wild contest winner type mods.

The original intent here, at least, how I interpreted it... was for a desktop gaming machine. The laptop was a recent departure from what most folks were basing their advice off of.

That said, the OP needs to decide which way he(she) wants to go, laptop or desktop, with the understanding that you can get a LOT more power, for the same money, in a desktop, as opposed to a laptop.

There ARE places out there that will 'custom' (for certain values thereof....) build laptops, but, options are limited, and rather pricey......

Ah, too bad. I was hoping it had become easier and cheaper to build a laptop. The rule of thumb back when I was following it was pretty much build a desktop, buy a laptop. Sounds like it still is, then. Desktops have always been more powerful than a similarly priced laptop. Gaming laptops are pretty decent now. The gap is closing.

For a while Canada Computers had ASUS laptops without CPU GPU and HD so you could make some customization but I don't see them listed anymore ... probably not enough demand.