Can't Install OBSE with the D2D downloable game

jallard

That was Stardocks whole point. They're one of the only ones who actually understands the negative attached to DRM. The PC game industry is also taking it on the chin for the very complexity that makes PC games superior to consoles. Cheaper to support a game that you stick in the disk and it can only do one thing. A modern PC's installation woes alone are enough to make you wonder how the non-techy types manage. Creates a need for sites like this I suppose.

Getting back on track with the thread, in my opinion, once that purchased game comes across the counter to the consumer or paid for and downloaded to the consumers PC, it is the property of the consumer and therefore he or she should be able to play the game as they wish. Fortunately Bethesda is once such company that apparently recognizes this and allows for modders to enhance the game's playability.

Incidentally, when I watched that interview about Skyrim on GameSpot they were highlighting the game play in the background. You actually got a chance to see how the game is "actually" played. That, not exactly in and of itself however, allowed me to chose to pre-order the game. I respect Bethesda for their professionalism --unlike Bioware/EA for example, who hid the game play for months with their theatrical cut scenes --until a couple weeks prior to release when they released a demo of the game. This, after many people had pre-ordered the game and for some are now very disappointed in their purchase, like myself. In a sense Bioware/EA fooled the public. However, that is just my opinion as one who felt fooled into purchasing the game. Kudos to Bethesda for showing how the game is actually played.

I think if you read your EULA you'll see you're licensing use of the game, not owning it. I do agree that D2D and Impulse need to have BIG warning about how their version differs around modern modding requirements. OBSE is optional, but not if you consider the number of mods requiring it today. I'm sure there will be marketing guys who'll disagree about full disclosure ... takes away part of their 'toolkit'.

OBSE is not compatible with the D2D version of the game, due to the encryption on the executable. (oblivion.exe) There is no fix for it. It simply won't work.

Strange, because I had it working once before --before I had to reformat the hard drive and lost mostly everything. As a radical nonconformist I find it disdainful that D2D would do that. I bought the game. It's my game now. I should have the right to do with it as I will. One thing is certain, it convinces me not to ever by another downloadable game ever again. Perhaps, that is why I was upset when I bought the disk version of FNV and then realized that it was a downloaded version from Steam. Still, Steam doesn't encrypt the .exe: thank God.

Apparently, Steam does encrypt the exe, but Valve worked with the OBSE devs to get it working anyway.

OBSE is not compatible with the D2D version of the game, due to the encryption on the executable. (oblivion.exe) There is no fix for it. It simply won't work.

Strange, because I had it working once before --before I had to reformat the hard drive and lost mostly everything. As a radical nonconformist I find it disdainful that D2D would do that. I bought the game. It's my game now. I should have the right to do with it as I will. One thing is certain, it convinces me not to ever by another downloadable game ever again. Perhaps, that is why I was upset when I bought the disk version of FNV and then realized that it was a downloaded version from Steam. Still, Steam doesn't encrypt the .exe: thank God.

Apparently, Steam does encrypt the exe, but Valve worked with the OBSE devs to get it working anyway.

I see.

I think if you read your EULA you'll see you're licensing use of the game, not owning it. I do agree that D2D and Impulse need to have BIG warning about how their version differs around modern modding requirements. OBSE is optional, but not if you consider the number of mods requiring it today. I'm sure there will be marketing guys who'll disagree about full disclosure ... takes away part of their 'toolkit'.

So, in other words I only lease the game for $60 , I don't actually own it. Perhaps the EULA needs to change its tune. Or, perhaps I need to quit spending money renting and playing video games: one or the other?!? I should be able to play the game as I wish, I still paid for it. If the developers can't produce a game with high resolution graphics, better animation and better human body shapes, then they need not be in business.

I have only been modding my games for less than a year now and what amazes me is how dedicated, professional and artistic these modders are: That do the awesome things that they do. When they can enhance the playability of game to it make more enjoyable than the vanilla version I will support them to my death. That being said, it brings to mine why many game developers cannot do the same within their own vanilla version game? Like with Dragon Age 2 it was all about cutting cost and counting on a huge market share of profits. In then end, Dragon Age 2 game only scores a 7.3 among users. Nothing like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It is precisely because of money that modders generally turn out better work than the devs Modders aren't working under deadline, or a budget.

True enough and wisely said.

And they don't have someone looking over their shoulder counting pennies. Doing it right = making a profit today ... wasn't always just about that at one time.