Custom Races

StanIsTheLaw

Sorry to start a new topic, sure this has already been covered but the search function for "custom races" comes up empty.

I don't want to create a new race, only add NPC's from an existing new race. I have several esp's that add NPC's from different races, such as mystic elves and chocolate elves. A couple of the esp files have allowed me to make changes in CS, such as changing equipment or moving the NPC to a new starting location, such as elves of lineage.

However, by and large, any change to other race esp's leads to instant CTD on startup. Even creating a second copy of an NPC, making no changes to equipment etc, then just placing in an open location.

Even mystic elf companions esp has a complete set of duplicate elves created, but have no script or equipment and are not placed in the game, yet if I simply place one in the game, ctd.

Can't find anything about placing custom race npc's in the game, other than the standard description in the CM partners readme. I can add any number of vanilla NPC's. Created an esm from the race esp and tried using the esm as described in the readme, CTD.

Using TES4Gecko to convert to esm.

Edited by StanIsTheLaw

The oblivion CS does not handle having esp files dependent on other esp files, very well. If at all.

If you want to make a mod, using NPC's/equipment from various other mods, you will need wrye bash, to 'esmify' the mods you want to use as masters, create a NEW plugin with your changes, save it, espify the mods you esmifyed...... enable your mod in the mod manager of your choice, and then it should work.

I thought the race creation tutorial would not be applicable as I am not creating a race, they are in the game already from the downloaded esp's. In addition, those CS Wiki instructions do not tell you how to place a new race NPC in the game, it creates a new race and gives details on how to make it playable.

I am only trying in the first instance to duplicate an existing new race NPC with a new name and location.

I am using TES4Gecko as I can't get wrye bash to work. Is there a problem with Gecko?

Am I right in saying you always have to have an esm selected in CS when working, seems that is the case? So in my case I must have partners.esm and myrace.esm selected plus any equipment.esm selected before I create and place anything in the game?