Losing disk space for no reason.

Ghoulz

I haven't installed anything recently other than files smaller than 100 kb. Everytime I play the game for a bit and exit I lose 100+ MB of disk space almost magically. In just 2 days I went from 40 GB to 34.5 GB.

Any logical explaination?

After a session, do a search of your hard drive for any file with a "last modified date" and time of during the session. This will at least tell you what files are being "grown" or "added". I suspect a log file or something similar.

Im so confused. Now it's 34.8 GB.

I don't see any massive file that was changed recently.

Ok, I think this computer is haunted. This is the only game that's been doing this to me.

Edited by Ghoulz

I already have CCleaner and it will only remove 100 MB worth. I used to have 40 GB left out of...... 35.7 now.

What will happen if I compress my hard drive to save space? Kinda paranoid about the unknown.

Edited by Ghoulz

I'd look into a second HD before I did that myself. Even laptops often have a spot for a second drive. When you look in your My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves folder do you have a lot of files? Are you saving often in these gaming sessions (quicksave and autosave just overwrite so they shouldn't take up appreciably more space as far as I know). Take a look at the file size difference between older saves and these most recent ones (thinking save file bloat here). Compressing a drive uses extra resources whenever you access a file and you already have Oblivion decompressing it's bsa files in the background when you play. You may just add to the stutter problem.

Yeah, compressing drives to save space sacrifices performance. Don't wanna do that. Considering the price of harddrives has come down DRAMATICALLY, (you can get terrabyte drives (1000 gig) for under a hundred bucks......) you should never need to compress one.

My saves folder is only 32.4 MB. And this has been happening without me saving.

40.4 GB.... I even got finished installing IE9.

Maybe I should hire an exorcist....?

Like I know how to set those harddrives up :wallbash: My brother's a computer buff but he's not around to help. I'll just stick with that I got and hope it just stays around this level. I got enough games installed anyway.

What I NEED to do is get a bunch of DVDs. I got a motherload of backup download content. That would easily save me 15 GB.

But that doesn't explain my disk space jumping all over the place. Hopefully it won't drop back down to 35 Gigs. Afterall, my memory needs plenty of room for recorded videos. They act funny when your low.

Edited by Ghoulz

Go to Control Panel / Performance and Information / Disk Cleanup. When the applet has scanned your drive click on 'More Options / System Restore and Shadow Copies --> Clean up.. Confirm that you want it to delete and then wait while it cleans up.