Losing disk space for no reason.

Ghoulz

I clicked on delete for the restore/shadow copies and nothing happens.

There is no visual reference that anything is happening, but it does remove all system restores except the last one, freeing up quite a bit of disk space depending on how many restores there were.

Note that you should never keep any system restores but the last one, as there are too many variables to screw up your system restoring to anything but the last one. So do this regularly.

Eh? But I never even bothered with system restore to begin with :confused:

Im still nowhere. It's 37.4 right now. I know I have more space than that. I deleted a few gigs worth and should be around 45 or so. Maybe Vista has processing issues with Oblivion and the memory is in limbo or something?

Windows performs a system restore automatically under certain circumstances, for example when you install Windows updates (which may very well be done automatically on your machine as well). As HeyYou mentions above, the Recycle Bin doesn't actually reduce your HD usage until you empty it ... it just flags those files as deleted, doesn't free up the space until you dump the trash.

Another thing that takes up a lot of space is indexing for quicker file searches. If you don't mind waiting when you search, don't use it.

Also...have Windows check your drive and check *all* the options. Are you using a really good anti-malware product? If not and you hit even one bad site, that could be your problem right there.

Like I know how to set those harddrives up
What I NEED to do is get a bunch of DVDs. I got a motherload of backup download content. That would easily save me 15 GB.

Even if you don't know how to insert another hard drive into your computer safely, you can still get 1 TB external hard drives for around 100 bucks (depending on your currency). All you need to do is plug it in (power socket, and USB port) and you're sweet. Or you can get full, USB-powered hard drives, which don't have as much space for the same price, but they're smaller, portable, and you only need a USB socket (or two) to use it.

Portable hard drives are much cheaper than getting DVDs of the same size, and more convenient for what you're doing.

Another thing that takes up a lot of space is indexing for quicker file searches. If you don't mind waiting when you search, don't use it.

Also...have Windows check your drive and check *all* the options. Are you using a really good anti-malware product? If not and you hit even one bad site, that could be your problem right there.

Nah, Norton hasn't let me down yet. I don't care if people say it sucks. I had McAfee a few years ago and it got me viruses n' crap and I had to completely reboot the computer from the ground up. Don't have indexing enabled.

Was 34.5, tried removing shadow copies and restore points again and it seemed to work this time. Still think I have more space than 40.1. It was higher than that a few days ago.

Nah, Norton hasn't let me down yet. I don't care if people say it sucks. I had McAfee a few years ago and it got me viruses n' crap and I had to completely reboot the computer from the ground up. Don't have indexing enabled.

Was 34.5, tried removing shadow copies and restore points again and it seemed to work this time. Still think I have more space than 40.1. It was higher than that a few days ago.

If Windows is managing your page file, that will probably grow and shrink, causing seemingly inaccurate HD space. This is normal behaviour. If you only have around 40GB free, you really should think of extra drive space.