Fallout 4 1.3 Update Now Official!

SirSalami

In response to post #34079885. #34080760, #34081435, #34081525, #34081825, #34082030 are all replies on the same post.

Kelleth wrote: ANOTHER CRASH CULPRIT FOUND:
Textures/SetDressing/ and then if you have any flag files in the loose files below the folders, delete them.
Cat121 wrote: Thank you! This stopped my CTD.
fangysativa wrote: what do you mean by "flag" files?
Kelleth wrote: Any file with the name "Flag" in it. Like Flag_s.dds
sydney666 wrote: Don't you mean setdressing?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\textures\setdressing???
Centerman wrote: Do you mean loose files not inside folders in the SetDressing folder?

Yeh, they are files not in folders, usually found below the folders - loose files. Individual files, they will have the word flag in them - which cause CTD apparently. I wonder what happens to the file the game was expecting if it was part of a mod, will we see purple textures or what not?

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #34078110. #34079010 is also a reply to the same post.

sydney666 wrote: So I have sorted out my CTD problem...some feedback after 15 minutes of playing.

Actually I am impressed by the massive performance gains. I can play with god rays on ULTRA, the new SSAO, the new particle effects at Ultra as well. Shadows set to Ultra quality, and distance to medium. So far getting a smooth 60fps everywhere. Usually with these settings prior I would get 45-50fps.

Hopefully once all the mods get updated, the game will begin to be further optimized.

Btw, the new lighting and shadow effects make the game a lot prettier, but I have seen areas of shadow striping where I didn't before. Anyone else experiencing this?
sydney666 wrote: Okay update.

On everything ultra, shadows, god rays and all. Some areas I have tested heavily in the past, where I would drop down to around 30fps, now I have approximately 50-55 fps. 99% of the game, even in Diamond City I am getting a smooth 60 with all these settings, including the new ones bumped up to their highest settings.

This is a massive performance boost from 10-15 in most of the game (45/50 to 60fps), and up to 20-25 fps boost in the most demanding areas (30 to 50-55fps).

My system is 2600k OC to 5.0ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM, Gigabyte GTX980 G1 and 2XIntel 510 SSD in Raid 0.

Other than some modding teething issues causing CTD (now resolved thanks to our great community), I am pretty happy with the performance gains.

The games new AO setting, HBAO+ (ultra) adds those nice little shadows to lots of the textures and objects - it actually looks really nice on trash piles and other textures and such from Commonwealth HQ, Langleys Workshop and Vivid Landscapes. I didn't know that ambient occlusion worked on supposed flat textures, but I can certainly see increased depth in them.

I also really enjoy the weapon debris. Using this in conjunction with Rain of Brass, Long range bullet holes mods and an ini tweak to keep decals up longer just makes shoot outs all that more interesting. I shot up a building with over 2000+ bullets and there were loads of chipped wood and concrete, as well as loads of bullet holes and shells. It looked chaotic and I didn't notice a performance hit on my 5 year old rig (minus the 980 of course). I am sure performance will vary, but I am sure it will improve on older cards. Curious to know how others go, please post your specs so we can get an idea of what performance people can expect to see.

I am actually really impressed - which is quite shocking because only an hour ago I was lamenting how none of my saves would load, but Bethesda is not to blame for mods crashing because they were made on older versions of the game.

Also remember to refresh your ini's because a lot of the old edits such as the texture loading fix;

bForceUpdateDiffuseOnly=0
iTextureUpgradeDistance1=7500
iTextureUpgradeDistance0=5000
iTextureDegradeDistance1=7500
iTextureDegradeDistance0=5000

That is no longer needed because I think Bethesda fixed the overlaying texture issue which was using up a lot of CPU and GPU processing.

Oh and one little edit I tried was;

gr grid XX to give god rays more "rays" so to speak. I think default is 64, I tried 128, 256 and 512 and 512 being by far the prettiest, and I also did not notice much if any performance impact. It also helps lessen the shimmering the god rays do on lower settings. This tweak was found on the Geforce tweaking guide.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/guides/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide#fallout-4-config-file-tweaks

Happy gaming everyone!

I also have got a perfomance boost even with mods.
Before the patch my fps have dropped about 20 in the city, but now
I'm getting 40-45. Not the best, but it's still a good boost
and finally... its playable !!
One good example is Hangman's Alley and the area. Specially the tunnel, that is near of the settlement. It is filled with junk and some car wrecks. Thus the tunnel have caused massive fps drops.
After the new patch I'm getting constantly 60 fps within the settlement and area. Edited by Crowlaay

In response to post #34075930.

DocPie wrote: Is there a way to figure out which mods specifically aren't working? I don't want to turn every single mod on and off again to figure it out.

Backup all your saves. Now load up your save and check each facet of the game which you have modded. Check dialogue, check your armor paints, check textures, check weapons, look at your inventory, weapon damage etc...

You don't have to turn anything on or off, just play for a while - testing the save, but don't save on anything you don't wish to destroy. :P

In response to post #34079885. #34080760, #34081435, #34081525, #34081825, #34082030, #34082350 are all replies on the same post.

Kelleth wrote: ANOTHER CRASH CULPRIT FOUND:
Textures/SetDressing/ and then if you have any flag files in the loose files below the folders, delete them.
Cat121 wrote: Thank you! This stopped my CTD.
fangysativa wrote: what do you mean by "flag" files?
Kelleth wrote: Any file with the name "Flag" in it. Like Flag_s.dds
sydney666 wrote: Don't you mean setdressing?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\textures\setdressing???
Centerman wrote: Do you mean loose files not inside folders in the SetDressing folder?
sydney666 wrote: Yeh, they are files not in folders, usually found below the folders - loose files. Individual files, they will have the word flag in them - which cause CTD apparently. I wonder what happens to the file the game was expecting if it was part of a mod, will we see purple textures or what not?

What the gentleman above me said.
And those flag files are just replacers for the current ingame US flag, so the flag just reverts from whatever it was modded to, to the standard US flag. Edited by Kelleth

In response to post #34080270. #34080375 is also a reply to the same post.

Fredthehound wrote: No CTDs here. But missing textures, screen tearing and a metric ton of 'unplayable. I had the same issue with the beta even after an NMM uninstall/reinstall of all the mods but was able to fix with a return to the last official release.

Can't say I'm massively upset since once you enter the mod arena you can't blame the developer for mod issues. Well you CAN, but it's pointless.
sydney666 wrote: They could have always released a more polished game, along with the GECK on day one though right? Some of the performance issues with this game on release date are just not good enough - especially since they had similar issues with Skyrim. You would think they would learn from their mistakes - and from their own engine, of which they have been using and tinkering since 2002.

Oh don't get me wrong. They most definitely could have done a better job on the game itself considering the time involved since Skyrim. But I'm looking at it purely from a mods/game break perspective.

That the game itself is broken without mods is another issue altogether.

I get CTD when loading a save or starting a new game. I disabled all mods, removed any flag files from SetDressing, and removed my .ini files and let fallout regenerate them. Still CTDs. :/ RIP mods.

Currently backing up my mods folder, going to uninstall and reinstall fresh... and begin the arduous task of reinstalling mods 1 by 1.......

In response to post #34068820. #34077130, #34077260, #34078080, #34082245 are all replies on the same post.

QBit71 wrote: Me too, CTD after the update. It seems, that we should wait, for the mod updates, or in the worst case, we have to start a new character. :(
MickeyMcE wrote: I uninstalled FO4 Gore overhaul mod and no more ctd's. Might be worth a try...
Username0815 wrote: I removed gore overhaul already when I tryd beta, but there are other things causing problems too. I for example can load my current save but crash everytime I enter my house.
sydney666 wrote: Thanks, I uninstalled GORE Overhaul and my CTD stopped.

Ravenring wrote: It is a FALLOUT game and including Patch-FALLOUT for free^^

Same here, I got rid of Gore Overhaul and its running fine. No CTD's fo me now.

Well my game loads fine and i can play around sanctuary(were i last saved) but when ever i fast travel out, my game crashes. so yeah that's a prob that yet again is caused by Bethesda's half arsed patch that NO ONE WANTED/NEEDED. I like the game and everything i really do, but these patches need to stop and they should just give us the creation kit already and let the community sort it out....again.

In response to post #34079440. #34080265, #34082235 are all replies on the same post.

Ravvid: Phase -0 wrote: We. Do. Not. Want. Forced. Updates. For. A. Heavily. Modded. PC. Game.

Why. Can't. We. Bloody. Wait. Until. Everything. Is. Fixed.

I feel like even if we spelled it out one letter at a time and subliminally infested the dreams of the developers these days it still wouldn't get into their head. Sometimes I just want to play my games for a while since they still work after spending hours browsing for mods/creating mods and installing them while making sure everything plays nice. How are super busy people supposed to deal with this? Spend most of their nights off checking for incompatibilities or small bugs that might be caused by some small code change? It makes me curious about that one new system that is like steam that says it allows users to disconnect. I really like some of the ability to stay "connected" these days but I would rather have it be optional. After programming all day I don't need my hand held about which updates to install and when. Yeah, it is just this once but since there were apparently so many issues before on previous updates that broke mods as well as the beta update, I can foresee a future of a repetitive cycle of having to fight my own game installation directory tooth and nail.

What joys I shall have determining if a newly installed mod is causing issues after this or if it was the patch.

Thanks for any warnings about mods breaking as well as the news. I wish that developers would be more respectful of their mod communities like they used to be.. since half of the time the mod community is what is really selling and/or fixing their game for them. I'll be waiting a few weeks to play until everything blows over/mods update.
russw1138 wrote: It is early days and this level of quality mods ahead of the official modding tools is unprecedented.

Also it's very easy to run steam in offline mode...

I my current FO4 game is highly modded and already giving me the occasional COD. as soon as I saw there was beta patch I switched to offline mode and will run that way till I complete this run - level 64 and past time I finished out the main quest line. By this time next week I suspect I will be on a new character with the patch and all the mods I want that work with the patch.
mcguffin wrote: keep in mind that the game doesnt officially support mods at this time.

i actually have steam auto updates turned off for fallout's (and TES games) and while the update is waiting under "update required" using the script extender shortcut i can bypass the updates
But yes they should really really give us the option even though they consider FO4 to currently be a non-mod game until the CK comes out

In response to post #34071015. #34071450, #34071620, #34071680, #34072505, #34072540, #34072595, #34073190, #34073450, #34073500, #34074510 are all replies on the same post.

Nordland1 wrote: For me, this fixed the CTD!

(I got CTD 5-10 seconds after the game started.)

And after some research in my mod list i found that "The Gore Overhaul" was the culprit.
I still got the mod activated in NMM but I renamed the "gore" folder (the mods texture folder) so it won't load. And after that no more CTD's.
arroya wrote: so what folders name did you change again? I want to try this. I am running EBT as well
Nordland1 wrote: Sorry I mixed up two mods.
For me it's "THE GORE OVERHAUL" mod who was causing the CTD.
Not "Enhanced Blood Textures".

I renamed the folder "Gore" by just adding a Z (zgore).
You will find the folder in ".../Data/Textures/Gore"

(I edited my first post with my new findings)
arroya wrote: ok just renamed it. because i have gore overhaul as well lets see if it works Ill send you a pm I dont want to clog the thread. Check your messages
MadveD12 wrote: I also disabled "The Gore Overhaul" and CTD 5-10 seconds after the start of the game disappeared.
iiicragiii16 wrote: It worked! Thank you sir
Panaorios wrote: Thank you so much. This worked for me!
grapser wrote: Thanks for the fix. XD
Nordland1 wrote: Glad that I could help! :)
MickeyMcE wrote: Interesting I uninstalled "The Gore Overhaul" mod after reading this and it appears to have fixed my ctd as well for now. Good find, I was just getting ready to go through my mods and play the uninstall reinstall game. Thanks for saving me the headache.
St4rkill3r wrote: Worked here too.At the start i was unable to play 5 mins long without a ctd.Now i did the rename of the folder and i played like 30 mins without problems so far, thanks a lot sir for the tip!

Uninstalled Gore Overhaul and this worked. It corrected the CTD 5-10 seconds after game start. I still get a random CTD during what seem to be bloody battles. I'm disabling Mods little by little to find the additional culprit.