Oblivion CTD's

Okay, I took a break from Oblivion for a while and decided to reinstall it. So I did and then began to download mods. I activated them with obmm but I would get a CTD with any mod that I put as active. So I tried to play with no mods but even on vanilla I can't start up the game. So, what should I do? Reinstall again or is there something wrong in my oblivion folder?

Try this;

1. uninstall any mods you have already installed.

2. try to run the game.

a. doesnt work; follow bbens guide on uninstall/reinstall located on this site. Game should work now.

b. it works; proceed.

to install a mod with obmm;

3. extract a mod into the same folder you downloaded it into.

4. open the extracted folder and read the read me file so you know exactly what esp to use, etc...

5. minimize this window to one side of your screen. Open documents on the other. create a new folder called "new mod".

6. Into this folder you will drag only the esp(s) you need plus any meshes, textures, sounds, or bsas that you need. note; none of these subfolders should be titled Data, Oblivion, or subfolders that would go into a mesh or texture folder. Unfortunately, not all mods are packaged in a friendly format, so you need to pay attention.

7. Run OBMM

8. Select Create, add folder, navigate to your "new mod" folder.( you should see textures and meshes below in the tree, but esps dont show here.) Select "new mod" you should see the esps pop up in OBMMs window.

9. Name it. (upper left)

10. Click "create omod"

11. activate new omod.

12. run the game.

13. Enjoy.

I realized as i was typing this that that i might be talking to you like you were a moron. If you are not a moron, im sorry. If you are a moron, im also sorry, but for different reasons.

I will flag this topic, please update.

Edited by eric31415

Tip: Do not throw any mod you downloaded. Before install it, check it carefully. Some mod requires other mod to work. Most of recent mods require latest version of the game. Some mod does not work with some other mods.

Install mods one by one, and check if the game runs without CTD.

Lol, it's not my modding skills that are causing the problem as I have been modding this game for years and I don't think it's any mods in general as I've tried running the game with no mods activated and I still get a CTD. Also, all of the mods that I installed used .esp's so I think it just might be a corrupted reinstall.

Also, is the guide doable with windows 7? I'm having trouble finishing step 3.

I also use windows 7, and i remember having that problem. Download 7zip and use that to extract the mod. Sorry, i probably should have menitoned that.

Since it sounds like you are probably going to have to reinstall, Id Defrag, and clean your registry before reinstalling. Maybe try cleaning the registry before you even uninstall, as this could solve the issue (hopefully). I use CCleaner.

Edited by eric31415

I suggest you to uninstall the game and reinstall if you still have CTD without activating any mod. Uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller helps you to clear registry and other leftovers after regular uninstallation.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but i think i may know whay youre talking about. Does it say to reinstall Oblivion over your existing game?