installed oblivion on laptop with Vista

suzypike

One more question. I have the GOTY Edition with securerom. It has already been a pain. Will it interfere with any of this? Anything at all that's been mentioned .

And I'm still not sure what Steam is.

Thanks

suzy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Securom is just a flavor of DRM. For oblivion, all it is is just a check the the Oblivion DVD is in the drive. Not like the game reads anything off of it while playing. Once you start the game, you could take the disk out, and the game wouldn't care. (or notice for that matter....) Shouldn't cause any trouble at all. Shouldn't......

Steam is a digital distribution client, that allows you to buy, and download games, and play within it's environment. (steam has to be running to start the game.) Its a better alternative than Direct2Drive, as none of it is encrypted, so, any mods that will work on the disk version, will also work on the steam version. D2D doesn't support OBSE, so, you may not use any mods that require OBSE with that version of the game.

Streamline: http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=10400

The first description says 3.0, However when you open the files the 3.1 beta is there. It will never be more than a beta as the author vanished not long after posting the 3.1 beta. Just prior to disappearing, he was very active on the Bethsoft forums and just suddenly stopped posting at all - anywhere.

The 3.1 beta is actually a debugged version of the 3.0 and is more stable. It is a complex mod with many features beyond the simple trade visual eye candy for FPS on the fly that it is best known for. Read the documentation - its fairly long but very comprehemsive.

Yes, ready boost really is that simple. Plug in a USB, SD card, CF card or any other kind of portable flash memory device and select 'ready boost' - The only catch is you need to dedicate that device to ready boost only and leave in in the slot all of the time. So on Vista, using a USB that is bigger than 4Gig will waste the rest of it.

Okay- I'm just clarifying. I download and install 3dot1_open_beta and 3dot1_open_beta patch? I saved them to my desktop but haven't done anything with them yet. Also, I can't find the documentation. I read the description- it looks out of date. The Official Thread was downright scary with complaints. And when I click on the icon from my dowload, the only option I have is run. It's probably right under my nose, but where is the documentation. I don't want to install a complex anything without reading the "readme" first.

Thanks!

suzy

and does it require OBSE? I have it on my desktop computer, but my son just doesn't like the looks of it.. LOL!

suzy

Install Streamline 3.1 only. The patch is for updating 3.0.

The reason it says "run" is that it is a self unzipping archive. Run it, but unzip it to ( wherever you have the game installed )/Data. The read me will be there, along with instrutions on customizing it, but all you NEED to do is install it. OBSE must be installed first.

Yes, it does require OBSE, as do many mods. Obse allows mod builders to add extra functionality. I highly recomend installing this.

Edited by eric31415

The only reason you might not want to disable the UAC in that you are sharing a computer. If you want to have different system privleges for you and your son, then you will need the UAC.

Disabling UAC does not suddenly make all accounts Admin accounts, it simply eliminates alerts relating to program functions. The account privilege system is separate from UAC and can function completely fine without it.

The only reason you might not want to disable the UAC in that you are sharing a computer. If you want to have different system privleges for you and your son, then you will need the UAC.

Disabling UAC does not suddenly make all accounts Admin accounts, it simply eliminates alerts relating to program functions. The account privilege system is separate from UAC and can function completely fine without it.

We share the computer and all log in under the same username/password. We don't need UAC for that reason at all.

We are still playing with the game, tweaking here and there- about to install Streamline 3.1.

It's running better with Gamebooster and the screen turned down to 1200 X 800 (I think). Outside, it is great, I just turned the grass fade way down. It's still a little twitchy inside any building. Forts, caves, etc. are smooth and quick now unless I'm in combat. It always lags during combat- every time. It's very hard to fight that way. If there's something specific I can do for that, please let me know!

If I could just get the lag while inside a house/store and during combat fixed it would be just fine.

I'm hoping Streamline will fix at least some of that and we are going to do the memory boost just as soon as we remember to pick up a new jump drive.

Thanks,

suzy

Streamline will certainly help with combat FPS, but it sounds lihe you also have stuttering issues. Here's how to fix that.

Since you are installing Streamline i will assume you have already installed OBSE. There is an OBSE plugin called Oblivion Stutter Remover that really smooths the game out. Download it, unzip it in place, open the OSR folder. the first folder is "data", this goes in your Oblivion folder, NOT the Data folder. This is important since it needs to create obse plugins folders. IMPORTANT: You need to change Streamline"s desired FPS settings to something between 10 and 30 for it to work properly with OSR. I use 12-15. This is best done in the SL ini, as changes made ingame (ctrl-home to open menu) only affect that save.

Other OBSE plugins I'd recomend; Fast Exit 2, Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System, take a look at Menu Que and Ely's Uncapper also, to see if they interest you.

With Streamline, it won't matter how you adjust the grass (or any) slider, as it will do this on the fly to try to keep FPS above your desired settings. It will also allow for more detail when FPS is above them. Try the grass mod i mentioned earlier in this thread.

Have you installed the 4gb patch yet? This will help the most.

I know i advocated disabling the UAC, but after reading bben's reply, i reactivated it and got my game out of program files.

Hese's a quick ini tweak to boost performance; change the values for the lines "ugridDistantTreeRange" and "ugridDistantCount" to a lower value. I use 12 for both, i would't go below 10. After loading a game SL will tell you that your fog settings need to be changed. Allow it to set reccomended values (ctrl-home again), write the new ones down, and edit the SL ini to the new settings. the SL ini is in Oblivion/Data/Streamline.

If you check my profile you'll see that we have similar machines. It took me a long time to get this game running well. There is no magic bullet, but the cumulative effects of all the little changes really add up. Keep me posted.

Also: You mentioned early on that you installed a few mods, which ones? Some mods can have a huge impact on performance.

Do you know how to moniter FPS ingame? Some average combat/noncombat (inside and out) values will help me know how far you have to go.

Edited by eric31415

Streamline will certainly help with combat FPS, but it sounds lihe you also have stuttering issues. Here's how to fix that.

Since you are installing Streamline i will assume you have already installed OBSE. There is an OBSE plugin called Oblivion Stutter Remover that really smooths the game out. Download it, unzip it in place, open the OSR folder. the first folder is "data", this goes in your Oblivion folder, NOT the Data folder. This is important since it needs to create obse plugins folders. IMPORTANT: You need to change Streamline"s desired FPS settings to something between 10 and 30 for it to work properly with OSR. I use 12-15. This is best done in the SL ini, as changes made ingame (ctrl-home to open menu) only affect that save.

Have you installed the 4gb patch yet? This will help the most.

Also: You mentioned early on that you installed a few mods, which ones? Some mods can have a huge impact on performance.

Do you know how to moniter FPS ingame? Some average combat/noncombat (inside and out) values will help me know how far you have to go.

Honestly, if I remember correctly, the 4gb patch looked too hard for me, as did removing all of Oblivion from program files and moving it. I am very computer savvy about some things- spreadsheets for instance. I'm a Technology Coach for an elementary school.. lol! But NOT this stuff. I'm not afraid to try it on my desktop computer, but I'm very hesitant about his. It is not my computer- it's his.

I don't know how to moniter FPS ingame.

Mods on his computer- DLC Shivering Isles

Knights esm.

Druid Tree Home (we never go there because of the lag)

Quest Award Leveling

Golden Arrow Archery Shop

Money Spell

VGOS Smarter Time Scale

Carry All You Want

We got most of them on this site.

On my desktop I have all of those plus

All +5 Attribute Modifier

Assassin's Abode

Maethlin's Marksman X2

Whispered Warning

Spell Delete

Dark Green Glass Armour

Realswords Khajit

Adonnay's Elven Weaponry

NMC_Bravil_LOW City (FPS Boosts by Killslasher) -for every city in the game.

NMC_Wild_Tweaked (Also FPS Boosts by Killslasher)

I use OBSE, OBMM, and BOSS. I tried the grass mod and couldn't tell any difference, so I disabled it.

On my desktop, the Streamline 3.1 will probably conflict with the FPS Boosts by Killslasher and I'm in the middle of a game. The only real problem with it is that combat has a terrible unbelievable lag. I gues the FPS boosts don't affect combat. The mod works great- no bugs but I wish I'd posted on this forum more when I was trying to tweak my desktop.

Anyways- I didn't do all that on my son's laptop because I wanted you guys to help me. :)

Thanks,

suzy

Here's all you do to install the 4 gb patch;

Unzip and move it into your /Oblivion folder (not Data). Double click on it and select the Oblivion exe. The 4 gb patch will do the rest, it even makes a backup of the original exe.

To monitor FPS ingame, press the " ` " tilde key to open the console commands and type "tdt" (no quotes) then enter. Close the console with the tilde key again. You will have 4 lines of script in the top right corner of your screen, one is FPS. NOTE: If you installed OSR you will have to make the change to Streamline's ini that i mentioned above or your FPS readings wont be accurate.

The grass mod by itself won't make a big difference, but when combined with things like Optimized Distant Land Max, Oblivion PloyGone Overhaul, Streamline, Quiet Feet and a few other mods plus turning off the music and some other ini tweaks you can get a very noticible performance boost. The things i mentioned throughout this thread are the basics.

I can see not wanting to mess things up, but the answer is easy. BACK IT UP. Since you have a working game, make backups of your Data file, Oblivion ini, and your Saves in a seperate folder (i use c:/documents/oblivion backups). That way you can always start fresh.

None of the mods you are using should have an impact on performance.

To upgrade to SL on your desktop just deactivate the other two FPS mods, load a game, create a new save, and exit. You can now install SL. Conversely, you could install Combat FPS Optimizer. It drops your view of everything past 100 yds. or so during combat. Not very pretty, but it gets the job done. Personally, i like SL but you could do a comparison first.

I would also run a full virus scan and clean your windows registry just to eliminate them as possible causes of lagginess.

Edited by eric31415