Site redesign - 2016 Update #1

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #34721635.

hishutup wrote: I think there is the problem with the whitespace on the sides of the page. Most users are using the standard widescreen displays and the sides usually go to waste, why not display more info like a wider list of pictures.

With ulta wides starting to come into play they will suffer from this issue even more.

The sides of the page have been left open like that for a few reasons, one of those is a requirement for ads that need to run in a side skin format.

Since the site is build in a modular way, it's easy to build upon it later on for even wider screens if the need arises.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #34714565. #34718485, #34720180 are all replies on the same post.

Rooker75 wrote: I'm sure someone's brought this up already, but I'll say it anyway, this site isn't the friendliest to mobile devices as it is now. Text is too small, some important menu buttons rely on a mouse hover event that's impossible for a touch screen and the search box at some point stopped accepting the "enter" button as input (also a problem on desktop browser), so it makes it extra awkward searching from a tablet/phone.

Also, I despise white text against black backgrounds and wish I could choose a more usable color theme, like I can on the forum part of the site. More than a few minutes gives me serious eye strain. I can override the colors on my PC's browser but it makes everything look weird. I can't do that at all on my tablet.
epoling wrote: Am I just old? I don't get reading this site on a phone. You only get a few lines of text that is too tiny for these old eyes to read. By the time you crowd all the necessary functions of Nexus onto a mobile screen you get even less text unless you make it tinier. Just because things can be done on mobile devices doesn't really make it a good idea.
Pagafyr wrote: No! You're not getting old. You are getting worn out, likely following the incorrect guidelines for your continued health and wellness. The tiny mobile phone screens tend to strain the eyes a person who is beginning to suffer from lack of solar or HappyLight during the Winter months when the days are shorter. Get a couple HappyLights in you rooms and you'll see the difference after following the instructions CAREFULLY for them.

As the new design stands, it's very mobile/tablet friendly.

In response to post #34714565. #34718485, #34720180, #34724595 are all replies on the same post.

Rooker75 wrote: I'm sure someone's brought this up already, but I'll say it anyway, this site isn't the friendliest to mobile devices as it is now. Text is too small, some important menu buttons rely on a mouse hover event that's impossible for a touch screen and the search box at some point stopped accepting the "enter" button as input (also a problem on desktop browser), so it makes it extra awkward searching from a tablet/phone.

Also, I despise white text against black backgrounds and wish I could choose a more usable color theme, like I can on the forum part of the site. More than a few minutes gives me serious eye strain. I can override the colors on my PC's browser but it makes everything look weird. I can't do that at all on my tablet.
epoling wrote: Am I just old? I don't get reading this site on a phone. You only get a few lines of text that is too tiny for these old eyes to read. By the time you crowd all the necessary functions of Nexus onto a mobile screen you get even less text unless you make it tinier. Just because things can be done on mobile devices doesn't really make it a good idea.
Pagafyr wrote: No! You're not getting old. You are getting worn out, likely following the incorrect guidelines for your continued health and wellness. The tiny mobile phone screens tend to strain the eyes a person who is beginning to suffer from lack of solar or HappyLight during the Winter months when the days are shorter. Get a couple HappyLights in you rooms and you'll see the difference after following the instructions CAREFULLY for them.
llihP wrote: As the new design stands, it's very mobile/tablet friendly.

Does anyone know what those menu buttons at the top do? if clicking them brings down a menu then that's fine, if clicking them takes you off somewhere then it's going to have to same problem as the site does now.

I think those mock-ups look fantastic! To me they are much more modern and user-friendly. I really hope to see a mobile friendly version! Sometimes I just want to look up some mods while board on a drive (while I'm not driving of course) or something like that. Sometimes a great mod catches your eye and I "track" it so it's easy to find when I get home!

In response to post #34714565. #34718485, #34720180, #34724595, #34724720 are all replies on the same post.

llihP wrote: As the new design stands, it's very mobile/tablet friendly.
jim_uk wrote: Does anyone know what those menu buttons at the top do? if clicking them brings down a menu then that's fine, if clicking them takes you off somewhere then it's going to have to same problem as the site does now.

They bring down menus, yes

In response to post #34723145. #34723880 is also a reply to the same post.

kraag wrote: Look like M$ Windows 10 buttons and general "square" layout.

Funny how many many large/corporate websites have gone this way so soon after W10 was released. Almost like they got payed to do it by M$.

I have no idea why you'd want your website to replicate the look of that Spyware M$ OS.
splinter82 wrote: Wow. Conspiracy theorist much>?

Wow - stick your head in the sand much?

I really hope you guys have considered adding "normalized" mod sorting options alongside the current ones. For example "endorsements per download," "downloads per view," etc. I'd like to be able to find quality mods that never reached celebrity status, and it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

In any case, love the wireframes! I'm sure Nexus is going to come out of this much better than it went in.

In response to post #34723145. #34723880, #34726020 are all replies on the same post.

kraag wrote: Look like M$ Windows 10 buttons and general "square" layout.

Funny how many many large/corporate websites have gone this way so soon after W10 was released. Almost like they got payed to do it by M$.

I have no idea why you'd want your website to replicate the look of that Spyware M$ OS.
splinter82 wrote: Wow. Conspiracy theorist much>?
kraag wrote: Wow - stick your head in the sand much?

Funny how companies follow the current trends?