Site redesign - 2016 Update #1

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #34770380. #34891990, #34918540, #34923565, #34989765, #35002645 are all replies on the same post.

STURMKATTEN wrote: I like how it is / has always been. I'm just getting used to it now. If it changes, I'm back at square one.
If it's changing for people on mobile phones etc, then why don't they keep the PC version as it is? Okay, maybe make a few improvements, but a complete overhaul is just not needed in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck to them. Looks like a lot of work.
BlindJudge wrote: Hey Surmkatten,

The site as it stands at the moment is quite piecemeal, it has had features bolted on over the last few years which have maybe ended up in confusing locations.

They new site has been looked at with old and new eyes, the focus group has been incredible and truly helped shape the site for the general populous. It will be easy to navigate, easy to customise and your experience will only be enhanced by it.

I'm sure that you will love the final product, though we will be running both old and new concurrently for you to get used to it at your own pace.
STURMKATTEN wrote: Fair enough, thanks for reply, you may have made a typo on my name, but whatevs...
Oh I noticed something that I found awkward; When looking at the replies to my comments, I click on the notification in the drop-down list there, expecting it to take me to the reply, and on this occasion it did not, I had to scroll through all the entire thread here, to find your reply here. Anyone had that happen before? Looking forward to seeing the new look anyhow.
Zaldiir wrote: Imagine my shock when it change from this to how it is now! It does take some getting used to, but in the end, the site will be more intuitive and better to navigate for most people. :thumbsup:
Matoyak wrote: @Zaldiir: Oh man, I'd forgotten about that old design. Whew boy.
fredlaus wrote: @Zaldiir, I love the old site because it is cleaner or down to the bones, not all these effects with shadows and 3D pretenders and so on and on and on...
He, he. I wish you the best

Why mobile use when you can't mod on mobile so there is no point browsing on mobile

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #35766410.

thinkpad4 wrote: that looks like a flat design, NO ONE wants a flat design. it cheapens the look of the site being flat. And why the need for mobile use, you can't mod on mobile so what's the point?

Simple what if I'm out and want to browser mods for when I get home?
This brings me to a idea I had steam allows you to download games on to your PC from your mobile app as long as your steam client is open on your desktop, wouldn't it be cool to add this type of functionality to the NMM to go along with the new site seeing as you want a more modern approach and modern seems to be most about convince even if its a premeium member thing. Just something to think about or maybe you could make mod lists from your phone or tablet for when you get home and open the NMM?

In response to post #35766410.

thinkpad4 wrote: that looks like a flat design, NO ONE wants a flat design. it cheapens the look of the site being flat. And why the need for mobile use, you can't mod on mobile so what's the point?

Simple what if I'm out and want to browser mods for when I get home?
This brings me to a idea I had steam allows you to download games on to your PC from your mobile app as long as your steam client is open on your desktop, wouldn't it be cool to add this type of functionality to the NMM to go along with the new site seeing as you want a more modern approach and modern seems to be most about convince even if its a premeium member thing. Just something to think about or maybe you could make mod lists from your phone or tablet for when you get home and open the NMM?

"I don't use this, therefore nobody uses this!" Ah, the generalizing logic is strong with this one.

In response to post #35766410. #35821425 is also a reply to the same post.

DrCreo wrote: Simple what if I'm out and want to browser mods for when I get home?

Then make a mobile app for the site, don't make the major users of the site, desktop users, suffer with mobile friendly buttons and awful flat design to cater to mobile users

Damn that looks neat, I love it. Couldn't help but notice the part at the bottom where "Media" is. Under "New Today" the first thing is "New female character" LOL. I swear that had to be an intentional joke. A good one.

when I logged in today I was shown what looked liked a news bulletin from the admin of the site warning of a breech from a hacker back in july and suggessted I needed to changed my password which I tried to do but each attempt failed but when I tried to log on again I found my password was no longer working and had to use the forgotten password button to change it to a new one. did you issue a news bulletin about a hacking leak which stated many of the users of this site had their passwords stolen so they could be cracked? because I find this entire thing a little strange and unsettling

dr

These new layouts showed here are great already! I can't wait to see the final edition. The managers and the designers of Nexus are competent, creative and most important of all, available to listen to our suggestions. Congratulations for the effort!

PS: Sorry for my poor english, I'm brazillian.

@BlindJudge -- Not sure if you're still keeping an eye on this thread or not, but just in case...

Any word on when the general community can get an update on functionality improvements in progress? Aesthetics are great (and obviously show a certain amount of these changes) but the site has long been in need of improvements to searching, tagging, and filtering capabilities.

Example: I'm a native English speaker. I'd like to block any mod not available in English, as I'd never use it. However, if I add all languages but English to my block list, this will block any mod tagged with those languages regardless of whether it is also tagged with English. As SkyUI, has tags for many languages, it will get blocked in this scenario.

Essentially, the site's tagging/blocking system isn't smart enough or customizable enough. With Skyrim at... what... something like 60K mods, it's pretty imperative users can blacklist everything and anything they know they aren't going to be interested in (or whitelist everything they know they are). Doing so makes navigating through all the remaining mods that much easier. Right now, I don't even use the blocking system, as I've had too many bad experiences with it blocking content I end up wanting to see. No system will be perfect, but the existing system needs improvement.

When might we expect a news post covering these types of functionality changes?

As people might not like the changes i like this design html is what i like and if people rather like the old one you could make a button that changes the ui theme so people can use any ui theme to classic no eye candy to this version we have the moment which i think its flash i think and the new one which i like is html so everybodys happy. Edited by Gam3r87

In response to post #35766410. #35821425, #35833870 are all replies on the same post.

DrCreo wrote: Simple what if I'm out and want to browser mods for when I get home?
thinkpad4 wrote: Then make a mobile app for the site, don't make the major users of the site, desktop users, suffer with mobile friendly buttons and awful flat design to cater to mobile users

I absolutely am crazy about flat designs, so I personally support this type design.