Oblivion Mods: Common Questions and Problems

Steam by default is installed in C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam and the game would be installed in Steam\Steam apps\your name here\Oblivion\Data.

With the steam install you are going to run into issues unless you use a program to change the date on the BSA files that are in the data folder to older than 2006. Setting the year to 2005 is usually what is recommended. The reason for this is because the newer date takes precedence over older files and will prevent mods from working because a lot of them are dated prior to when you installed Steam and the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I am so new to this. I think that I am becoming a PC gamer. At least for the Elder Scroll Games. I've been able to get some of the mod's to work, and yes I do read the read me texts. My question is, in some of the mods, they have esp. files which I can transfer right over to the data folder. Sometimes they also have texture folders as well as mesh folders. I know that there are folders such as those in the Oblivon/data folder. Some of the texts say to overwrite these. If i were to overwrite them every time I would lose the other textures correct? Am I supposed to copy the new texture into the existing folder or over the existing folder? If I am supposed to copy over then how am I supposed to have multiple textures and meshes?

Hello all...

I have a question and I hope that you can halp for me.

I would like use DMC stylish mod and the sexy walk mod by Mur_Zik. If the DMC.esp is the first and SW.esp is the second in the ESP list, then my elf walking sexy, but not working some DMC stylish pieces. (one hand block, two hand idle, one hand idle... etc.) Their are replaced original pose.

But if I put the DMC.esp end of the ESP list, then all DMC stylish working, but my elf doesn't walk in sexy.

I would like if she is disarmed, then she is walking and running in sexy style, but if she is armed, then she uses DMC style moves.....

It can be done?

THX.

Edited by Guest

Hello everyone.

I new here, I tried doing several mods and now the game wont start. Once I click play on the game launcher it just restarts the game launcher and I cant get past that loop.

I deleted every mod I tried but that hasnt fixed the problem.

Any advice aside from reinstalling?

Also I got this game through steam does that complicate modding?

Unfortunately with steam, you may have to uninstall and reinstall. Try updating the game manually. In my opinion, I avoid Steam because it has caused nothing but headache for me when using it. Steam however should not affect modding because I have Fallout New Vegas on Steam and I have around 30 mods for it.

I'm sure somebody has mentioned this somewhere before but the "Easiest" way to install mods in Oblivion is using Oblivion Mod Manager. Instead of deleting every mod veggiedealer, all you have to do is disable them and your game should play normally. Oblivion Mod Manager lets you do this. I Highly recommend using this program for Oblivion mods.

If you ever want to keep mods for future use and have to uninstall Oblivion because it's taking too much space, the computer needs a clean install, for whatever reason you can go to your game directory and open obmm. Inside this folder, if you have mods installed, you will see a folder named mods. This is where all mods are saved. You can copy and paste this onto a flash drive and save it. Remember these folders do not exist if you don't have Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM) installed.

I forgot to ask so I'm editing this post, what operating system do you have veggiedealer? If you have Windows 7 or Windows Vista, it's probably an Administrative issue. Try running the game as Administrator.

Edited by AlbinoFoxRacer

First off, if you just allowed the game to install to it's default location C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) you are bound to have trouble with mods. Here is a link to Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure. Of special note for you as a Steam user is the link near the beginning of the article on how to move your Steam folder. Also do not neglect the part about running a registry cleaner before your re-install.