The Better cities FPS Patches

Streamline 3.1

OBSE

OBGEv2 + Liquid Water

Oblivion Script Optimization 1.0

Here are my system specs:

MSI G41m-p26 MoBo

Intel Core2Quad q9300 2.5Ghz at 1333Mhz FSB

2X2Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600Mhz underclocked at 1333Mhz (since that is as fast as my MoBo will run)

750Gb WD Caviar Green HDD

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

GTX 460 768Mb with Core clock of 810Mhz, Shader at 1620Mhz and mem at 2000Mhz

The problem is when I am in inventory or any menu I get 1100 FPS (no lie) and in buildings I get 85 FPS on average. When outside in the world I get between 9 and 15 FPS unless I watch the blue sky or green earth. Their is really no reason for this and If any one knows whats going on here let me know. I am getting a GTX 580 and 2 weeks or so but In all honesty this game should run better. I know this is an Extremely modded game now but really,come on now I was playing this on 360 ages ago and have never had a system to run it smooth and I get 9 FPS? I have also tried the .ini tweaks and also setting core affinity. Any ideas other than unmod or dial it back some would help.

Here are the main mods I have:

Blood & Mud

Qarl's Texture Pack III

Qarl's Texture Pack for Blood & Mud

Really Almost Everything Visible When Distant

Bomret's Texture Pack for Shivering Isles

Kvatch Rebuilt

Elsweyr Desert of Anequina

Better Cities

Animated Window Lighting System

All OEM DLC

All Unofficial patches plus supplementals

The Better cities FPS Patches

Streamline 3.1

OBSE

OBGEv2 + Liquid Water

Oblivion Script Optimization 1.0

Here are my system specs:

MSI G41m-p26 MoBo

Intel Core2Quad q9300 2.5Ghz at 1333Mhz FSB

2X2Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600Mhz underclocked at 1333Mhz (since that is as fast as my MoBo will run)

750Gb WD Caviar Green HDD

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

GTX 460 768Mb with Core clock of 810Mhz, Shader at 1620Mhz and mem at 2000Mhz

The problem is when I am in inventory or any menu I get 1100 FPS (no lie) and in buildings I get 85 FPS on average. When outside in the world I get between 9 and 15 FPS unless I watch the blue sky or green earth. Their is really no reason for this and If any one knows whats going on here let me know. I am getting a GTX 580 and 2 weeks or so but In all honesty this game should run better. I know this is an Extremely modded game now but really,come on now I was playing this on 360 ages ago and have never had a system to run it smooth and I get 9 FPS? I have also tried the .ini tweaks and also setting core affinity. Any ideas other than unmod or dial it back some would help.

First of all, of course the 360 version of the game is going to run smoothly. The console versions were designed to work smoothly on console hardware. When it comes to PC's, its not as easy for developers, as they have to balance performance for those with low-end PC's and quality for those with high-end PC's. Comparing the vanilla PC Oblivion to the 360 version is stupid, let alone a heavily modded version of Oblivion. And the reason why performance rises when you're in menu's/inventory is because the renderer halts when a menu item appears (i.e quest update, open inventory, etc). The same thing happens when you minimize Oblivion. The reason why looking at the sky/ground causes FPS to rise is because most games made in the last 8 or so years do not render everything currently in a scene, only what you're looking at. There's variations of this concept, but they all work for the same goal, that the scene is streamed into RAM rather than everything being preloaded (for Oblivion that would be impossible).

There are several issues with your specs:

1. You have a Caviar Green hard drive. Those have an RPM of 5900, which means slow data reads/writes. You're probably going to notice stuttering in open world games like Oblivion/Crysis if you install them on that drive, regardless of what video card you have. For a gaming drive, you should have at least 7200RPM and 32MB of drive cache. If you want the best performance, go with a high-quality SSD, like the Patriot Inferno.

2.Your video card is not powerful enough to handle all of the mods you listed while keeping a high framerate. It will run out of Video RAM pretty quickly when running RAEVWD and QTP3, especially if you have AA/AF enabled.

3. Your RAM is high-latency. Bandwidth is important, but not if it comes at the cost of a high CAS latency. Yours has a CAS latency of 9ms. For good real world performance (synthetic benchmarks like PCMark or SiSoft Sandra don't really indicate how well RAM will work in practical situations), it's better to go with lower bandwidth and a lower latencies rather than high bandwidth-high latency. Optimally the CAS latency should be around 6-7 with bandwidth between 1000-1300mhz (you can still get 1600 DDR3 memory with a CAS latency of 6, but you'd have to spend a lot more).

4.Your CPU is decent for multicore games, but since Oblivion doesn't really multithread anything of importance, it's stuck with using only one of your CPU's cores. That means that you are effectively running Oblivion on a 2.5GHZ CPU, 500 mhz less than the reccomended specs. Of course, the architecture improvements of the Core 2 series will still keep you a good deal above a 2.5GHZ Pentium 4 in terms of performance, that's still a bottleneck. Either overclock to at least 3GHZ, or buy a new CPU.

It basically comes down to this, if you want to run Oblivion at the best possible graphics (with mods), you're going to have to have high-performance versions of most of the main componenents. Unlike most games, hard drive speed and CPU speed are very important for solid performance (all modern games still require a good CPU/harddrive/etc, but most are very GPU intensive, whereas Oblivion manages to stress all of the systems components). If you want to run a heavily modded Oblivion and get more than 30FPS, you're going to have to spend a ton of cash.

Get rid of that Script Optimizer, its known to be worse than Vanilla. You are running the top mods on the "better be ready for low FPS" list. Consider that all those mods are hi-res (above 1024x1024 in most cases) textures. If you don't use Oblivion Stutter Remover, try it out. Seems it works wonders with Heap replacement especially on those newer high end.

To help with the HDD slowness GetOut mentions, search for procedure of unpacking BSAs and repacking with little or no compression (OBMM has BSA Browser & BSA Creator built-in) and defrag with something like MyDefrag or similar. MyDefrag puts all those great big archives at the outside edge of your disc, which is spinning fastest and easiest access. It also takes into account MFT and prefetch, placing system files and boot files right after the archives. I always wanted to build a RAID 10+1 from Raptors, 10000rpm. Imagine ten of them buzzing away while you play, makes me think of a swarm metallic bumble bees.:teehee:

In the next few weeks I plan on a complete overhaul of my system, gtx 580, I7 970 and 3 WD caviar Blacks in Raid 0 with 24 GB of high end ddr3 but in the mean time I will deal with this. I turned off distant trees and distant buildings, kind of a middle ground for now. getting 30 FPS out side now. So if any one is looking for a gtx 460 768mb Galaxy card let me know. It is only a month old lol

I definitely agree with the others that because of the mods you're running, you're bound to get low frames. I mean, you can't expect to have smooth frame rates with Qarls Textures along with all the graphic enhancing mods you're running such as OBGE and the Really Almost Everything Visible When Distant mods. If you had beast of a machine that uses Crossfire or SLI, then maybe you can run Oblivion smoothly with all those graphic intensive mods.

Just to toss in my usual comments - do you have a separate sound card (helps with sound-related stuttering), and have you either turned off antivirus or at least turned off "on access scanning" - the antivirus in particular will knacker fps on Oblivion as it is continually accessing dozens of files.

Maybe you are just "abusing" the graphics quality. Another old known source of issues is the sound (no joking). Try disabling the sound and music in the ini file located under the Documents folder... if it solves the issue you may need something like "quiet feet" mod and/or better sound codecs, like K-lite for example.