RIP 4th Amendment..

SpellAndShield

I think that the biggest - and possibly the most frightening - implication of all this is that this removes the checks-and-balances system. The judicial branch threw away a crucial link in having checks and balances over the executive. It makes way for autocracy.

I see a lot of emigration from this police state in the next century...

I think we should all hop the fence into Mexico. :D

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The indiana decision is just scary. Basically, they are saying the cops can do whatever they want, and you have zero recourse. Bear in mind, this is the JUDICIAL branch of the government making these statements, so the executive/legislative branches can't say boo about it. If they try, the judiciary can just overturn whatever legislation they pass as "Unconstitutional"...... How's THAT for irony?

Justices can be impeached and removed, but it's only happened once. Legislation also has to be challenged for the courts to rule on it.

Still, the Indiana ruling, in combination with the federal ruling, means essentially no Fourth Amendment protections in that state, though there are still some tattered remnants still waving about. Indiana will probably address those soon enough. :rolleyes:

Hey, they're more liberal than the US is on certain things...all we'd have to deal with is crippling poverty and poor healthcare. It doesn't sound that different from the situations of a lot of Americans nowadays! ;-)

Edited by LadyAubrie

Why bother hopping a fence? Leaving the US is easy, getting back in is the real problem. Plus, any sort of decent life savings and you'd be living la vida buena, mis amigos.

EDIT: Spanish Grammar fail, adjectives come after nouns they describe, not before. My highschool Spanish teacher would be disappointed, no doubt.

Edited by RZ1029

Why bother hopping a fence? Leaving the US is easy, getting back in is the real problem. Plus, any sort of decent life savings and you'd be living la vida buena, mis amigos.

EDIT: Spanish Grammar fail, adjectives come after nouns they describe, not before. My highschool Spanish teacher would be disappointed, no doubt.

There are exceptions, bueno is one of those, it usually precedes the noun.

I suddenly feel depressed that my kids are growing up here in the US.... anyone in a more sane country have room for a household of 8? lol

I'll just say that if you're not doing anything wrong you shouldn't have to worry.

Long as they pay to put the door back up later.

Wooooooaaaaaaaat ??? Oo :woot:

Are you serios?

Well, thanks for supporting tyranny.

With this attitude, you could and should live in North Korea and be the happiest man on earth.

Good thing we have Texas House Bill 284. The Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground bill allows lawful citizens to SHOOT or otherwise use deadly force in defense of their homes, vehicles, businesses or places of employment.

Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON

(a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:

(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the deadly force was used:

(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;

(3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic at the time the force was used.

There is also a Civil Practice and Remedies clause preventing prosecution or civil liablity.

Every cop in Texas knows this. That's why they always knock on the door and identify themselves.

Just food for thought.