Custom Armor in Nifscope

darkmyth78

Ok I decided to delve into custom armor. I found several tutorials on blender and nifscope, and followed them to a letter. I am attempting to take the merc grunt legs and put them in place of the legs for the NCR armor. In blender I removed only the pieces of the armor I didn't want to show, nothing else. I exported using the fallout 3 settings, I didn't change any other settings. apparently if i use the default oblivion setting i get an error when trying to paste branches. I then copy branch and paste it onto the new armor, no hiccups at all. Everything goes smoothly in blender and looks good in nifscope, and as far as I can tell I've done everything I'm supposed to. the problem arises when I try to input it into geck, what I've added doesn't show up at all. any suggestions or help would be helpful. I can e-mail the nif I have so far, if someone with more experience wants to look at it and see what I've done. Edited by darkmyth78

block list looks fubar..you see the scene root ninode? notice that it is not expanded. Now notice that there are a lot of blocks that are not children of the scene root. everything that is not a child of the scene root is ignored. So that is atleast wasting space. also those nodes are never going to work... they aren't linked correctly, for example there is a Nitrishapedata.. on it's own... it's just vertex that doesn't belong to anything. Same with the rest of those node. unless they belong to something that is child of the scene root.. you can just remove them.

How that commonly happens is that when pasting into a nif you are not rclicking ON the scene root ninode when you do so, clicking into the block list window anywhere else is going to result in not being made a child node of the scene root, and the game will ignore it.

I cannot see what the game is reading, ie everything under the Scene Root NiNode as you have not expanded it.

And if you are exporting everything from blender. Why bother with pasting stuff around? Especially rigged meshes. You could have just exported the outfit complete directly from blender to a working nif. I keep saying it is possible hoping it'll catch on.. all it requires is correct scene set up for game export, the correct export settings, and ticking like 2 things in the exported nif. All depending what type of object the mesh is...

Oblivion and F3 nifs have different version numbers, and the data is even indexed differently, so they aren't entirely compatible..

question on this part:

10) Open in nifskope, select the body portion and change the shader to shader_skin. Make sure shader flags shadow_map and sf_window_environment_mapping are checked. To find the shader info, expand the nitrishape/nitristrip, and highilght BSSHaderPPLightingProperty In the block details, you will see shader_type and shader_flags.

Using your tutorial I can make it to here, had an issue at first where i was using A to select all for when I imported the skeleton, fixed that by going into select by type and selecting mesh only. The problem I am running into, is when you refer to body parts, are you refering to the actual body, as in torso and arms, or the armor? Also there are other shader flags checked, do I need to uncheck those? They are Unkown 31, sf empty, and sf zbuffer test.

Ok tried somthing, I did it to all the armor bits, un checked everything except the shadow_map and sf_window_environment_mapping options. armor now shows up in geck, but it's all black.

on a side note, if I only enable Shadow_Map and not sf_window_enviroment_mapping the texture shows up in geck.

Edited by darkmyth78

I want to thank everyone that pitched in with any help, especially you Quetzlsacatanango. I got it to work finally, the only question I have is about destruction of limbs. The limbs on the new armor destroy like any other, with the exception of the bloody stumps. I can see the gore from the body in there, but the armor isn't stained on the ends correctly.

The one in the middle is my new armor, and the leg ends look clean instead of all bloody like the other two. Any suggestions as to why this is like that?