Swords

Admiral

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for making you wait. However, I've been working long hours. Anyways.

Swords and medieval age weapons fall into five areas. These are wall hangers, battle ready, fantasy, replicas, and antiques.

I'll Deal with Antiques first.

Antiques These as the name implies are actual swords from the time period. This option is out for most people. Price range: $1000- and up. (Some are priceless, and can cost millions).

Now to the more appicable ones.

Style:

Fantasy These creations a not based upon any sword design. Half the time they are made to look "cool" and deadly. Example is the Final Fantasy weapon.

Replic: These weapons are made from preexisting swords form the time period.

Type

Wall Hangers: In reality these pieces are more pieces of art then actual weapons. As the name suggest they are suited to be put on the wall. Price range: $50-200 (Generally, can be more expensive depending on the paticular shop, sword ect.)

Battle Ready: These are what I would say are actual swords/weapons. The few that fall into this category can be used. Price range: $170-and up.

Now that the categories have been briefly explained. The combinations should be obvious, however just to make sure I'll list them. We have: Fantasy wall hangers, Fantasy Battle Ready, Replica wall hangers, and Replica battle ready (surprising isn't it).

Obviously you must pic the style (I generally hate fantasy blades, and only buy replica blades or antiques).

I'm betting some of you are now wondering what makes a sword either a battle ready blade or a wall hanger. Wonder no longer:

1. The metal used in the blade. I've seen a variety of metals used. The most common are high carbon steel and Stainless steel. A battle ready sword is made from high carbon steel, a wall hanger from Stainless steel. Now, this may appear to be a little odd. High Carbon Steel rusts, Stainless Steel doesn't. However, Stainless Steel is very brittle (fine for knives but not for swords), you hit something with it you will break the sword and very easily hurt yourself. If the store doesn't tell you ask how to maintain the blade. If not maintenance is required then it is most likely stainless steel. High Carbon Steel requires a coat of oil to prevant rusting Rule: If the blade is stainless steel on the wall it goes.

2. Tang. One of the most important parts of a sword. When buying a sword you want a full tang. Most swords today are made with only partial tangs. This makes the entire blade week, and can easily break if used. Rule: when looking for a battle ready sword, a full tang is key

3. Weight: Swords are not heavy This is a common myth perpetuated by movies, and worst by most sword makers. Since Swords are no longer used many smith no longer care about the weight but about the design. When I gave sword classes I gave weights for the paticular class. Rule: A very heavy blade is a wall hanger.

4 Style: This deals really with fantasy blades. Some are so badly designed (from a useable view point) that they are only suited for hanging.

Now with those you should be able to identify what type of sword you are buying. Finding Battle ready swords is very hard. Most swords today are wall hangers. Now onto some general tips for purchasing a weapon.

1. First you must decide what you are going to do with this weapon. Is it purely for decorations or do you want to use it to practice swordsmanship, or do you want it for decorations but want to know that that it could be used.

If you just want a a sword for decoration then buy a wall hanger. Get a stainless steel blade. These swords will look shiny and not put a big dent into your pocket book. If the answer is other wise then be prepared to spend more.

2. Now you need to pic a stlye. Fantasy blades are very common, true Replicas are rarer. Battle ready replicas even rarer. If you want a battle ready replica sword then you wil have to shop around.

3. How much are you willing to spend (or how much can you spend). Battle Ready blades are expensive, be prepared to pay more for one.

That is the end. Hopefully after reading this you will now be much more informed as to what you are buying, and have few if no misconceptions of exactly you are paying for.

Also in case anyone is curious: I only buy Battle Ready Replicas . I cannot stand fantasy blades. I also practice swordsmanship so that is another reason for my decisions.

Your welcome. IF any of these topics are of interest to anyone just say the word and I'll talk about them further:

Refurbishing a rusted sword

Care for a Sword (where to Store ect.)

Swordsmanship (European only)

so do I. I always found them to be pieces of art.

Something else: If anyone has a question about a paticular medieval weapon (European, or Asian) please feel free to ask. Even if I do not know the answer I'll do my best to get you one.

Archived