Swords

Admiral

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow

you have increased my knowledge of medieval/ancient/modern weapons greatly, admiral, and i thank you for that.

i always knew that the armour was dumbed down in morrowind, but i never knew it went to this depth, i never knew the helmet stood for wisdom.

although when you look at it from a game designers point of view, it probably wasent viable to put that many diff. armour pieces in the game, but you probably already knew that. :rolleyes:

Yes, it would be a little foolish to have that many pieces of armor. Keeping it simple for a game was for the best.

A squire would have to know each piece of armor and what it stood for before he was allowed to become a knight.

If anyone wants I can send them a file of this info.

Before this post you may have thought swords were relatively simple, they had a grip, and a blade. If you thought so You were wrong, the following is a long list of sword vocabulary.

Handle: were you grip the blade. Many different types and lenghts exsit.

Tang: The part of the blade that enters the handle, connects the blade to the hilt at the pommel.

Shoulder: The part of the blade that makes the trasngression into the tang. If you think of the tang as a head, then you can see where the term shoulders come

Pommel: The last part of the hilt, usually large, and varies in shape. Great for hitting a person in close quaters.

Cross Guard: This is the top part of the hilt. It doesn't not protect the had, and is used to stop your knuckles from hitting a shield.

Hilt: The hilt is the combination of the Pommel, Cross Guard, and Handle.

That does it for the hilt now for the blade.

Edge: The cutting surface of a sword

Point: Used for thrusting, and well the point of the sword. Also called tip.

Stark: The part of the blade that comes into contact with the hilt, it is the stronger part of the entire blade. Use this part when parrying.

Schwech: This is the lower part of the blade, it is weaker, and the point is located here. Don't parry with this area.

Fuller: This is where the blade has one or more curves on the flat sides. A cross section would show a diamond with two sides biten off. A fuller makes a sword lighter and stronger.

Ridge: Opposite of a fuller, and adds a raised surface to the sword, this strengthens the sword, and makes it rigdied.

Rassco: ON longer swords, a piece of leather that is above the cross guard, allowing a person to grip the long sword higher without touching the blade or metal.

Ring Guard: This is a metal ring added to the cross guard offers greater hand protection and if there is more then one ring, you can get finger the cross guard allowing more control.

Flamberg: This is a rapier, that has a blade that is curvy. Looks like a flame, thought to inflict more damage this isn't true. Cause same amount but when parring a strange vibartion will occur, that may scare an unprepared opponent. THat and they look great.

Handles: Basic types are wood, leather and wire wrapped. and combination.

Wire wrapped: A handle wrapped in leather wire, rough on hands.

Leather wrapped: A handle covered in leather, your hand might slip if moist. This paticular one features a wire under the leather for style.

Hilts:(see above) Special ones: swept hilt, and basket hilt.

Swept hilt: The rapier style offers great hand protection. The bars have a sweeping appearance

Basket hilt: Seen on claymores (and some other swords), the entier hand is enclosed in a metal basket.

That does it for swords, but now on two other items.

Gaunlet: These are gloves, made of leather, or steel and protect the hands.

Live blade: Many swords are dull, a live blade is one that has a razor sharp edge.

Wastril: A wooden practice sword, shoudl be the same weight as a sword.

Folded: This is a method used in making a sword, all swords should be folded many times. Basically when a metal is white hot, the smith folds the metal into itself. What it does is strengthens the blade and even out the impurities of the metal. If something says it is folded it is nothing special.

Damascus: This is where the blade are etched in acid, very beautiful, each blade has a unique design, that the metal and not the smith determines. These are expensive and very good blades.

Temper: This is the final process of making a sword, it will stop a sword from becoming brittle.

Temper line: This is when used with katanas, different areas of the blade are heated at different rates causing the traditional bend in Katanas

These terms are important, if a store says it has top quality swords, ask if they are properly tempered, if they don't know what it means, then don't buy.

I assume you know thrust, parry, block, cut, slash. So If you want I will tell post quick

Quillions: refer to the varios metal bars that form a swept hilt. The word quillion was used in the late 1300’s and early 1400s just before the Renaissance.

Cross Guard: Is also known as a Cross Bar.

More terms.

Pommel nut: This screws into the end of the tang. It connects the two. Sometimes in the absences of this the tang is fused right into the pommel

Finger Ring: This is a a small curved piece of metal, the protects

the finger wing fingering the ricasso

Chappe: This is a leather area that begins at the cross guard. It purpose is to stop rain from entering the scabbard, when the sword is sheathed.

Anneus: These are side rings. (shown in the ring guard pic)

Annelets: These are vertical ring guards.

Compound hilt: Compound hilts are those that have more guards then a simple cross guard.

Umbo: These are metal cones placed on shields.

Scabbard: This is the carrying case of a sword. It is also called a sheath, scabbard is the proper name.

Double wrapped Belt: This is a belt of extermly long length. Designed to comfortable hold a sword, it wraps around the waist twice, and transfers the sword weight to each hip.

Frog: This refers to carring devices that do not include a a belt.

This is also availble as a word doc. In the Word doc. some of the words are illustrated with pics from my personal collection.

Archived