My stealing stinks!

suzypike

I joined the Thieves Guild, but can't get anywhere because I apparently suck at stealing! LOL! :wallbash:

Seriously. I'm a former Morrowind player, and so I thought Oblivion would be the same- if they don't see you, then they can't catch you.

WRONG. I stole something from someone's freakin basement- alone- and a guard appeared out of nowhere and arrested me.

I created my character to be a thief! Help!

suzy

It's easier to steal from somebody who's sleeping or knocked out. But you can train your sneak first and then start stealing when you get high enough levels in it. D: I haven't played a thief type in years so I don't remember what level of sneak gets some good stealing percentages.

Ok I was trying to break in during the day when they weren't home. I'll try some more at night. And I guess I'll hit a few more forts and caves to work on my sneak skills.

Thanks for the reply. I still think it's weird that guards appear out of thin air though...

suzy

Also you have to think about the fact that breaking into someones house will get you in trouble. What I mean is that if a guard notices your breaking in they will follow you inside and arrest you. You simply may not have noticed that they noticed :P

Any citizen seeing you breaking and entering will, by default, inform the guards too. Only B&E when unobserved by npc's.

ALSO:- by default several animal types notice you break in and the guards know because of that (Shades of Rin-tin-Tin and Champion the Wonder Horse there). In the Wrye Bash "Bashed Patch" build options there is a setting to make animals into "dumb" animals that can's send the guards a sworn written statement and won't testify against you in court, hence the guards don't get informed!

Ok that's exactly what's been happening then. I didn't consider that everyone in the street probably saw me breaking in.

Thanks. Obviously I'm not a very good thief! Haha!

I think I'll try being more careful and if that doesn't work I'm adding the mods. I mean psychic guards and talking animals? Seriously? !!!

Thanks for the info.

suzy

Opening doors, you should be in sneak mode anyway. If the crosshairs are bright, then don't do it - someone IS watching you. Even if it's a rat or a mudcrab :)

If you stick with that you'll be ok on the breaking and entering bit. Of course, if you step out of the building again and bump into a guard, you're nabbed!

Rule one - save before exiting just in case