FCOM

FCOM seems to be working nicely, in terms of distributing new monsters and equipment. I've been walking around towns, dungeons and open world spaces while invisible and in TGM for hours, just to see the new monsters and killing them via console just to see if there are any bugs (like the old Frans caliper bug, or any missing meshes). So far so good.

For the curious, I followed this seemingly safe installation guide for FCOM.

However, there are two bugs that I've noticed, which we can probably fix.

1.) Once in a while, especially when entering a new area (such as entering a dungeon or exiting town), you get frozen. Just the player. NPCs and the world move around you, and the UI is still visible. You can turn, open the inventory, and whatnot, but the WASD movement and the mouse clicks don't work. The console command "enableplayercontrols" does nothing (because it's not actually movie mode, you just can't move). The only rudimentary fix for this is to use player.resurrect 1, which allows me to move again.

If I remember correctly, this had something to do with a script problem somewhere. This doesn't happen at all in vanilla, but with the current FCOM installation I have (and practically no other mods except UI and loading screens; refer to my BOSSed LO), it always happens especially in particular areas. So far this bug will always happen when I exit Anvil via the Castle Gate, and continue to enter the castle. There are a few dungeons this will happen in as well, and it also seems to happen when I enter Leyawiin (but I haven't done this one enough times to verify that it will "always" happen when I enter Leyawiin, because I use Anvil Castle Gate as a reference to see if it got fixed somehow).

2.) There is one particular NPC that is trying to walk into a wall corner. This is at the gate to Anvil Castle (across the bridge outside Anvil proper). It's a female guard (I assume is added by MMM), and when you use the names that you can import via Wrye Bash, her name is Private Marielle. She will keep walking into the wall as if she's trying to reach a waypoint inside it.

I've tried toggling TPL/TPG and I don't see any particular error at first glance, though I'm no pathing expert.

So far, she is the only NPC that I've seen to have this problem. I haven't been to all towns yet, though.

I do not have any other mods installed other than the FCOM necessary files (and practically no optional mods from them). I also have Dark DarNified UI, and some loading screens, but the UI mods don't really affect it (I tried unloading them too and it didn't fix the problem).

Here's my LO. This is BOSSed, and take note I do rebuild the bashed patch whenever I make even a minor change.

Active Mod Files:
00  Oblivion.esm
01  Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm  [Version 4.5bSI]
02  Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm  [Version 4.5bSI]
03  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm  [Version 1.34]
04  Mart's Monster Mod.esm  [Version 3.7b3p3]
05  FCOM_Convergence.esm  [Version 0.9.9MB3]
06  Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp  [Version 3.3.5]
07  Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
08  DLCShiveringIsles.esp
09  Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp  [Version 1.4.0]
0A  Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Bosses.esp
0B  Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Enemies.esp
0C  Francesco's Optional Chance of More Enemies.esp
0D  Francesco's Optional Leveled Guards.esp
++  Francesco's Dark Seducer Weapons Patch.esp
++  FCOM_Francescos.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_FrancescosItemsAddOn.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
0E  FCOM_FrancescosNamedBosses.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
**  LoadingScreens.esp
0F  DLCHorseArmor.esp
10  DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.6]
11  DLCOrrery.esp
12  DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.4]
13  DLCVileLair.esp
14  DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.6]
15  DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
16  DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.5]
17  DLCSpellTomes.esp
++  DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.1]
18  DLCThievesDen.esp
19  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.9]
1A  Bob's Armory Oblivion.esp
1B  FCOM_BobsArmory.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
1C  Loth's Blunt Weapons for Npcs.esp
++  FCOM_LothsBluntWeapons.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
1D  Oblivion WarCry EV.esp  [Version 1.09]
1E  FCOM_WarCry.esp  [Version 0.9.9MB3]
1F  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp  [Version 1.34]
20  OMOBS.esp  [Version 1.0]
21  OMOBS_SI.esp  [Version 1.0]
22  OMOBS Optional Combat Settings.esp  [Version 1.0]
23  FCOM_Convergence.esp  [Version 0.9.9Mb3]
++  FCOM_EntropicOrderRebalance.esp  [Version 0.9.9beta2]
24  FCOM_RealSwords.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
25  DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
26  DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.5]
27  DLCFrostcrag.esp
28  DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.5]
29  Knights.esp
2A  Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.1]
**  DLC_MOBS.esp
++  FCOM_Knights.esp  [Version 0.9.9Mb3]
2B  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

This will happen even on a new game. I tend to make new games anyway, for test characters so I can run around dungeons on a fresh save file.

Any ideas on why this is happening and what I can do to fix them? I would like to make sure FCOM is working as smoothly as possible first before I move on and install other mods.

I can take a video of the gameplay so you see what I mean, especially how it reacts to moving.

Edited by UNKNOWNYMOUS

Yes, definitely a good idea to stabilize FCOM first. Haven't seen your particular problems before but I'm hardly an expert. Few notes:

07 Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp - You can disable this unless you find it's needed, save a slot

09 Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.4.0] - Latest version is 1.4.2, check your install of the patch supplemental

1E FCOM_WarCry.esp [Version 0.9.9MB3] - Update to FCOM Warcry 1.09, the stated version would be 0.9.9MB5

20 OMOBS.esp [Version 1.0] - Update to 2.0, which only requires OMOBS SI

21 OMOBS_SI.esp [Version 1.0] - Same as above

22 OMOBS Optional Combat Settings.esp [Version 1.0] - Do not use with FCOM, disable

FCOM_BobsGuardUnity - Not certain if this will fix your guard issue, but you'll need this

Hmm, that's about all, wonder if that'd help with your issues. The guide you followed seems rather simplified, a lot of the optional plugins are safe to use and probably even recommended. And the bash patch, under Import Factions and Import Relations be sure OOO isn't checked.

Yeah that's FCOM WarCry 1.09. I dunno why Wrye Bash thinks it's 0.9.9MB3.

-edit: Oh, looks like I mistakenly checked the UFCOM WarCry at the bottom of the install order, which overwrote FCOM WarCry lol. My bad.

I got OMOBS 1 because the guide recommended it, but I'll try getting OMOBS 2 anyway.

As for the official stuff, those are actually overwritten by the latest supplementals pack (version 3.3.5), so those should be the latest version already, but I'll double check their installation again just to be sure.

I guess that guide was written primarily to make sure that new FCOM users, like myself, can at least get a basic setup running, with as little headache as possible. From there obviously, with BAIN or OBMM knowledge, you can just patch and update as necessary, which is what I plan to do.

I sure hope your suggestions fix it too. I still have over a hundred mods to test for stability and errors lol. Not that it isn't fun though. :dance:

Edited by UNKNOWNYMOUS

Should I always check every import option (except for factions/relations for OOO like you mentioned)? Is that generally how to rebuild a bashed patch? Because I know stuff will generally work even if you don't, as long as nothing else modifies the same things (which is why I understand we merge them into the bashed patch in the first place; to make sure they override any changes made by other mods).

Anyway I've rearranged my install order properly in BAIN, and it looks like USIP is the correct version now too. I'm also using OMOBS 2 now, and deleted the unnecessary mods. Here's what it looks like now:

Active Mod Files:
00  Oblivion.esm
01  Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm  [Version 4.5bSI]
02  Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm  [Version 4.5bSI]
03  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm  [Version 1.34]
04  Mart's Monster Mod.esm  [Version 3.7b3p3]
05  FCOM_Convergence.esm  [Version 0.9.9MB3]
06  Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp  [Version 3.3.5]
07  DLCShiveringIsles.esp
08  Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp  [Version 1.4.2]
09  Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Bosses.esp
0A  Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Enemies.esp
0B  Francesco's Optional Chance of More Enemies.esp
++  Francesco's Dark Seducer Weapons Patch.esp
++  FCOM_Francescos.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_FrancescosItemsAddOn.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
0C  FCOM_FrancescosNamedBosses.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
**  LoadingScreens.esp
0D  DLCHorseArmor.esp
0E  DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.6]
0F  DLCOrrery.esp
10  DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.4]
11  DLCVileLair.esp
12  DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.6]
13  DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
**  DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.5]
14  DLCSpellTomes.esp
15  DLCThievesDen.esp
16  Bob's Armory Oblivion.esp
17  FCOM_BobsArmory.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
18  Loth's Blunt Weapons for Npcs.esp
++  FCOM_LothsBluntWeapons.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
19  Oblivion WarCry EV.esp  [Version 1.09]
1A  FCOM_WarCry.esp  [Version 0.9.9MB5]
1B  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp  [Version 1.34]
1C  OMOBS_SI.esp  [Version 2.0]
1D  FCOM_Convergence.esp  [Version 0.9.9Mb3]
++  FCOM_EntropicOrderRebalance.esp  [Version 0.9.9beta2]
1E  FCOM_RealSwords.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
1F  Mart's Monster Mod - Extra Wounding.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3]
20  Mart's Monster Mod - Farm Animals.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3]
++  FCOM_BobsGuardUnity.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
21  OOO-WaterFish.esp  [Version 1.34]
22  DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
23  DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.5]
24  DLCFrostcrag.esp
25  Knights.esp
**  Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.1]
**  DLC_MOBS.esp
26  Mart's Monster Mod - City Defences.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3]
++  FCOM_Knights.esp  [Version 0.9.9Mb3]
27  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Just now tested it with this very LO, and it's still broken. In fact, I'm now noticing that my character gets stuck in most transitions now (whether I walk into the cell, go through a loading door or use the "coc" command), which leads me to believe that some mod's script is trying to run when I enter a cell, but gets snagged somewhere.

I really don't want to give up on FCOM just yet, because it's so close to working smoothly! But it's pretty annoying because I can't find what's causing it at all.

UNKNOWNYMOUS, I think your original "freeze" problem stems from two or more mods trying to activate an idle or specialidle. I get that also when globaltimemultiplier has just been reset and an anim is trying to play. Some anims aren't clean and can't adjust with time scale, so they just freeze. You might remove the Timescale mod and see if that helps the freezes.

How odd, you're not actually running that many mods and they all look fine. Does the console say anything? Could you try unchecking bash patch and running the game? Maybe it's not working well if you haven't imported all the various stuff. If that still doesn't work, only thing left to try is stripping out all the mods and try to narrow down the culprit one by one..

Generally yes you should always import all the options, so that everything gets merged into the bash patch and play nicely together. It's very rare that a mod will state otherwise. So roughly what you should have:

Merged Patches

Import Actors

Import Actors: AIPackages

Import Actors: Death Items

Import Actors: Spells

Import Cells

Import Factions

Import Graphics

Import Inventory

Import Names

Import Relations

Import Scripts

Import Stats

Leveled Lists

Race Records

SEWorld Tests

Edit: Just noticed some plugins are missing from your new load order. :sweat: Francesco's Optional Leveled Guards.esp, DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp, DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp, DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp

Edited by omeletted

I don't have a timescale mod (look at my load order), or any animation mods for that matter. D: It's all vanilla except for the stuff that FCOM and its components add.

I checked my Oblivion.ini, and fglobaltimemultiplier is at its default value (1.0000). Nothing in FCOM should be messing with that anyway, so that probably isn't the issue.

The character doesn't "freeze" as in he's stuck in some animation. He can look around using mouse movement, and his head and body will move and adjust with him. He just can't walk in any direction.

Does the console say anything?

Nope. The console is blank. :(

- edit:

Edit: Just noticed some plugins are missing from your new load order. :sweat: Francesco's Optional Leveled Guards.esp, DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp, DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp, DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp

Fixed. Apparently they got deactivated but I forgot to merge them when rebuilding that last time. But it didn't change anything. :( Mariella is still walking into a wall, and my character gets stuck after loading screens sometimes (and it's not always, which is what confuses me; maybe about 50%).

Also, it may be a good observation that weOCPS prevents a crash on exit whenever I try to exit the game during the frozen state. There may be a messed up script somewhere that would otherwise have caused the crash. If I fix the freeze (by resurrecting myself) before exiting, there is no crash on exit.

Okay it sometimes crashes on exit (prevented by weOCPS though) even if I get my character moving.

AAAAA this is getting kinda frustrating. D:

Oh and one more thing. I tried that suggestion of deactivating the bashed patch, still no banana. Same problems (and more I imagine, since some of the unofficial fixes are simply merged into the patch and not active).

I'm actually starting to think maybe it (character freezing) has nothing to do with the mods at all. I had this FCOM setup working and it didn't have this problem before. I just reverted to vanilla and reinstalled it so I can figure out a different bug (import names not working). Could it possibly be because of some bad Oblivion.ini settings? Or something else completely? D:

Edited by UNKNOWNYMOUS

Alright I'm going through the mods one by one. No choice. It's not the INI because I tried with a freshly generated INI and it's still broken. I doubted that in the first place anyway, but yeah I'm trying everything I can think of.

I tried disabling OOO and all mods dependent on it, then rebuilt the patch. It disabled the stuff that OOO added (like the Sylvans around Anvil), and strangely, though actually added by MMM, the female guard Mariella got replaced by a male guard in the same spot and he didn't have the same walking-into-wall problem.

I'm thinking Mariella's problem is completely isolated to just her since she's the only NPC I notice doing it anyway; could be a minor bug isolated to her particular entry in the CS that nobody else notices because she's the night shift guard in front of Anvil Castle. People don't exactly hang out there a lot, and if they ran past her, since she's not otherwise bugged, they may not have noticed.

I'll focus instead on getting rid of the odd freezing. I'll update when I find what mod is causing it, and if I can find a fix for it (maybe staring at it very hard in the CS and making threats).

Sorry I wasn't much help. Your case is most curious, the only mods you're running are all fine and shouldn't cause the freezing that you described. Can't imagine what it is. Well, good luck hunting it down.