playable advent mod: details, feedback

davidlallen

Hey, just saying hi again. I did a little bit of digging in the command console and some files, and found a few interesting things. One, you can just use the console to give your Viper a viper rifle or an avatar psionic rifle. Both of them work with their firing animations.

Second, I noticed something in the DefaultContent.ini. Both "teeth" and "eyes" are options as body templates, though teeth is always enabled. I think that if there was a way to make an invisible eye option and an invisible teeth option, and combine those with the invisible face mod, it could fix the second head glitch thoroughly. Or, perhaps, add a few lines that specifically tell the game to not try to add those details. Perhaps maybe add a custom race that your newly-generated aliens default to, that by default has invisible everything.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ ionutro, that is very odd. Can you confirm which version of the mod you are using? That is, the most recent one is here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=644076161

If you are using a different one, please give the details. It seems that you may be using the very oldest version of the mod from February. That is the only way to get aliens in the character pool without having built them in the armory. If you change versions of the mod, please delete all the local ini files from My Documents/My Games/XCOM2/XComGame/Config. Note that changing mod versions will not get rid of the existing aliens.

@Ionutro

I had that same problem too, I believe. It turns out, both the old version of the mod and the new one have the same reference name or something. That means that if you're trying to run the second version of the mod while still having the original version installed (but not activated), the game will encounter the original version first with the exact same description of what it's looking for, and try to run that one instead, but it's missing features from both. The fix is as simple as unsubscribing from the old version, but you also might be able to just move the mod installation order around a bit as well.

Also, quick question. You mentioned how aliens would remain from the original version of the mod, even if you later removed it? Would it be possible to activate the old mod temporarily to get the old appearances of some of the aliens back, and then deactivate it and continue with the newer version? Just feeling nostalgic.

Or, barring that, could you tell how modify the old version to make it so new aliens aren't continually added with each save loading? Everything seems to work as intended otherwise, even with the amount of mods I'm running.

Let me make sure I understand where you see these extra aliens appearing.

1. In the character pool?

2. In the barracks (under the armory menu)?

3. The project, rather than the alien itself, in the proving ground menu?

For #1, I don't even know how aliens could get there. I have never seen any aliens there let alone any extra ones.

For #2, the only time aliens appear directly in the barracks is in the very first version of the mod by sgtcal. All the versions since March have aliens appear only when you complete the project. I suppose it is possible you have a save game which includes that old version of the mod, and perhaps that is acting as some kind of infinite loop generator. I don't know how to get rid of that.

For #3, this is reported commonly, and may have to do with a relatively recent mod version overlapping with the latest mod version, when you have a save game with one of them and you load it with the other one. Sometime in March it was reported that the way the game tells mods about whether the mod is already loaded, does not in fact work. So the mod may not realize the mod is already in a save game, and may add the projects over again.

@Ionutro

I had that same problem too, I believe. It turns out, both the old version of the mod and the new one have the same reference name or something. That means that if you're trying to run the second version of the mod while still having the original version installed (but not activated), the game will encounter the original version first with the exact same description of what it's looking for, and try to run that one instead, but it's missing features from both. The fix is as simple as unsubscribing from the old version, but you also might be able to just move the mod installation order around a bit as well.

I never installed any other version of the mod, I picked up the mod at the latest version.

Let me make sure I understand where you see these extra aliens appearing.

1. In the character pool?

2. In the barracks (under the armory menu)?

3. The project, rather than the alien itself, in the proving ground menu?

For #1, I don't even know how aliens could get there. I have never seen any aliens there let alone any extra ones.

For #2, the only time aliens appear directly in the barracks is in the very first version of the mod by sgtcal. All the versions since March have aliens appear only when you complete the project. I suppose it is possible you have a save game which includes that old version of the mod, and perhaps that is acting as some kind of infinite loop generator. I don't know how to get rid of that.

For #3, this is reported commonly, and may have to do with a relatively recent mod version overlapping with the latest mod version, when you have a save game with one of them and you load it with the other one. Sometime in March it was reported that the way the game tells mods about whether the mod is already loaded, does not in fact work. So the mod may not realize the mod is already in a save game, and may add the projects over again.

I see the extra aliens as classes in the character pool, but if I pick them the character still looks human. They don't show up anywhere else in the base game. After I installed the Uniform Management mod they again showed up as classes in the uniform manager, but that's it.

My Viper can't use "Enhanced Spit". It's listed as a skill on the left but it doesn't appear on the action bar for use. All other skills work perfectly and I've tried retraining but no dice. I'm getting a second Viper to see if the bug is the same for them too. Is there a known fix for this?

• 5 weeks later...