The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

ATI 5670 Graphics Card 2GB VRAM

8GB RAM

Q8200 Quad Core @ 2.33 ghz

Windows Vista 64 bit

According to the unnofficial video guide my video card should hit medium-high settings but I'm wondering if my CPU and RAM will bottleneck or help me out any.

not really, having 8GB isn't any different than having 2.5GB when the game only requires 2GB. Not many games have actually utilized the quad cores, this game might, if so it could help you out. With your CPU and GPU you should be able to play flawless on Medium and probably just as good on High with AA & AF turned off

So Xbox graphics? It's really down to using my Xbox or my computer, obviously the computer always has mods but if it will look better on the Xbox I want that version.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm looking at my options for RAM, and I'm trying to decided between:

Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600CB 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz

or,

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3

Which would be the better option? I'm thinking the obvious decision is the former, for it has 12GB as opposed to the Vengeance 8. But maybe there is something I'm uninformed of? ... :unsure:

or,

Which would be the better option? I'm thinking the obvious decision is the former, for it has 12GB as opposed to the Vengeance 8. But maybe there is something I'm uninformed of? ... :unsure:

Go with the first option.

ATI 5670 Graphics Card 2GB VRAM

8GB RAM

Q8200 Quad Core @ 2.33 ghz

Windows Vista 64 bit

According to the unnofficial video guide my video card should hit medium-high settings but I'm wondering if my CPU and RAM will bottleneck or help me out any.

not really, having 8GB isn't any different than having 2.5GB when the game only requires 2GB. Not many games have actually utilized the quad cores, this game might, if so it could help you out. With your CPU and GPU you should be able to play flawless on Medium and probably just as good on High with AA & AF turned off

So Xbox graphics? It's really down to using my Xbox or my computer, obviously the computer always has mods but if it will look better on the Xbox I want that version.

If I we're you I'd go xbox. I was in the exact same boat when fallout 3 came out. My computer was ok, but I knew I would have to sacrifce some good lookin gfx. So I ended up gettin Fallout for the ps3, played the hell out of it, beat it and did just about everything there was to do. A year after buying it for the ps3 I threw down some cash on a new computer bought Fallout GOTY and did it all over again and by this time there were a ton of great mods out plus all the DLC, dont regret it a bit.

Edited by Nebrule

or,

It depends on you build of windows 32bit or 64bit, 32 can't recognize anything over 3.2GB, but regardless of that, in my opinion single=stable so i'd go 1 x 8, we're a long way off from using 12GB practically, come to think of it we've barley touched 8 if at all.

I just used that website to check which games my computer can run, and got some pretty good results :D

It showed Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas on the highest settings. It also showed Crysis on the highest settings which is kind of cool, but I never liked that game.

However, what worried me is that when I checked Battlefield 3, it said I could run it at just above minimum... I'm hoping Skyrim wont be as intense as BF3? Sorry I'm not very good with computers so if someone could answer me I'd be grateful!

I need some advice. I know my current rig can run skyrim on med-high settings, but I want to jump up to the high-very high setting catagory. Current set up

quad core AMD 9750

Geforce GTS 250

8gm ram

450 ps

And my monitor is a 24inch screen with 1900x1200(i think) native resolution

Now I know that I need to upgrade my gpu and I was thinking of getting a 560 or 560ti, or any other card in that range. I think if I stay with the 560 my power supply is fine, however if I get the 560ti I will need to upgrade my power supply as well.

My questions.

1. Which card should I get, is the 560 worth it? Would the 560ti be a better card even though I will need to get a new power supply?

2. If I do update the gpu will it make much difference with my current cpu? I know that chip set is getting old and I dont know if its worth upgrading the graphics card without touching the cpu

3. Does the larger monitor make a difference in how I can run the game? I have an older 19in monitor I can use if it will allow a better experience.

I am trying to decide if I should upgrade the current rig, or since we could use a second family computer for the kids, let the family use this (they dont game much) and just buy a new comp with a more updated setup.

or,

It depends on you build of windows 32bit or 64bit, 32 can't recognize anything over 3.2GB, but regardless of that, in my opinion single=stable so i'd go 1 x 8, we're a long way off from using 12GB practically, come to think of it we've barley touched 8 if at all.

sounds like everybody is expecting a console port to actually use more than 4gb of memory

but this would be an easy upgrade after the game comes out and people with extra memory can test to see if it does anything other than look at it sideways

so save your money until after release

when an informed decision can be made

of course if you are trying to future proof your computer

get 16mb instead of the 12