The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

If anyone want's to know if your PC can run Skyrim just go here

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

I'm sure someone has posted this somewhere, but just in case. Well actually Skyrim isn't up there yet so what you can do is see how well you can run another game (close to what Skyrim may be) and that should be a good guideline.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure someone has posted this somewhere, but just in case. Well actually Skyrim isn't up there yet so what you can do is see how well you can run another game (close to what Skyrim may be) and that should be a good guideline.

No website can tell you how well you will be able to run a game.

The official system requirements should be out in a week or two.

I'm expecting something similar to Fallout 3.

Edited by Iv000

Surely more though? I can run New Vegas at high settings and have 50 fps, so I expect at least 30 fps with Skyrim.

BTW, it's good to know I'll be able to play Skyrim. I might be getting an iMac soon, so perhaps I'll be able to play on that. ;)

Surely more though? I can run New Vegas at high settings and have 50 fps, so I expect at least 30 fps with Skyrim.

BTW, it's good to know I'll be able to play Skyrim. I might be getting an iMac soon, so perhaps I'll be able to play on that. ;)

Everyone is majorly exaggerating the amount of hardware you will need to play this game. It won't be much more than Oblivion, and certainly not much more than Fallout 3, if anything. Not only has their emphasis on quality porting for the game increased tenfold on the dodgy job they did on Oblivion, but the improvements are not as huge as anyone thinks they are. They are just pooling their resources in the right places. Remember, as has been said trillions of times already, this is a console game, and an old console at that. If you could run Fallout 3, you can run Skyrim, I can almost assure you of that.

More a computer question than a Skyrim one:

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series video card. I was considering replacing them with a new 6970, but then I realised that I have 3.2GB of usable video RAM currently.

Should I buy a new one, or is there no point?

(This is because I want Skyrim to run nicely. I realise I probably won't get max settings, but I want to get at least mid-way to three quarters there. At the moment, I get max settings on modded Oblivion if that helps any)

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series video card. I was considering replacing them with a new 6970, but then I realised that I have 3.2GB of usable video RAM currently.

(This is because I want Skyrim to run nicely. I realise I probably won't get max settings, but I want to get at least mid-way to three quarters there. At the moment, I get max settings on modded Oblivion if that helps any)

I recommend getting the 6970 if you can afford it. A 6850/6870 is an alternative if you want something more cheap.

The 4xxx GPU's are getting old, even though they can play a lot of today's games, they can't run them with AA and things like SSAO.

So yes, you should buy the 6970 if you want to enjoy Skyrim (And other games) on maxed settings. :thumbsup:

At what resolution? I could play vanilla Oblivion @ 1080p back in the day on a single HD 4850, but with mods such as Quarl's Texture pack etc... I had to go Crossfire and I still ran out of VRAM in The Great Forest etc..

It sounds like you are running on a 32bit Operating System? You do not have 3.2 GB of VRAM, that's most likely the amount of useable RAM for your entire system. Anyhow, depending on your resolution and the rest of your system, a 6970 may either be bottlenecked or be overkill. We need your complete system specifications to be able to competently advise you in this situation. :)

Will this run Skyrim and if yes, what settings should I expect?

Operating System: Windows Vista 32 bit SP2

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q82000 @ 2.33 (4 CPUs), ~2.3 GHz

Memory: 3326 MB RAM

Display card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GS

Display Memory: 2158 MB

Dedicated Memory: 751 MB

Edited by Barhador

At what resolution? I could play vanilla Oblivion @ 1080p back in the day on a single HD 4850, but with mods such as Quarl's Texture pack etc... I had to go Crossfire and I still ran out of VRAM in The Great Forest etc..

It sounds like you are running on a 32bit Operating System? You do not have 3.2 GB of VRAM, that's most likely the amount of useable RAM for your entire system. Anyhow, depending on your resolution and the rest of your system, a 6970 may either be bottlenecked or be overkill. We need your complete system specifications to be able to competently advise you in this situation. :)

Nope, I do have 3.2GB of VRAM (system says it is approximately 3318MB, but diagnostics show that I'm only using around the 3.2GB mark). I am on Windows 7 64bit OS with 6GB ram with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 3GHz processor.

Resolution I play Oblivion at is 1280x720, and I have several graphics mods going, including Qarl's texture pack, Diverse Landscapes and Better Cities among many others without a framerate drop