The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

Will this run Skyrim and if yes, what settings should I expect?

Operating System: Windows Vista 32 bit SP2

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q82000 @ 2.33 (4 CPUs), ~2.3 GHz

Memory: 3326 MB RAM

Display card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GS

Display Memory: 2158 MB

Dedicated Memory: 751 MB

this outclasses an xbox -- so yes it'll run skyrim

what settings ---- what resolution?

start with medium then tinker

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More a computer question than a Skyrim one:

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series video card. I was considering replacing them with a new 6970, but then I realised that I have 3.2GB of usable video RAM currently.

Should I buy a new one, or is there no point?

(This is because I want Skyrim to run nicely. I realise I probably won't get max settings, but I want to get at least mid-way to three quarters there. At the moment, I get max settings on modded Oblivion if that helps any)

At what resolution? I could play vanilla Oblivion @ 1080p back in the day on a single HD 4850, but with mods such as Quarl's Texture pack etc... I had to go Crossfire and I still ran out of VRAM in The Great Forest etc..

It sounds like you are running on a 32bit Operating System? You do not have 3.2 GB of VRAM, that's most likely the amount of useable RAM for your entire system. Anyhow, depending on your resolution and the rest of your system, a 6970 may either be bottlenecked or be overkill. We need your complete system specifications to be able to competently advise you in this situation. :)

Nope, I do have 3.2GB of VRAM (system says it is approximately 3318MB, but diagnostics show that I'm only using around the 3.2GB mark). I am on Windows 7 64bit OS with 6GB ram with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 3GHz processor.

Resolution I play Oblivion at is 1280x720, and I have several graphics mods going, including Qarl's texture pack, Diverse Landscapes and Better Cities among many others without a framerate drop

A 4300 or 4500 series video card with 3+ GB of VRAM does not exist. You are confusing onboard video card memory with virtual memory, they are not the same at all. ;)

Will this run Skyrim and if yes, what settings should I expect?

Operating System: Windows Vista 32 bit SP2

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q82000 @ 2.33 (4 CPUs), ~2.3 GHz

Memory: 3326 MB RAM

Display card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GS

Display Memory: 2158 MB

Dedicated Memory: 751 MB

this outclasses an xbox -- so yes it'll run skyrim

what settings ---- what resolution?

start with medium then tinker

1680x1050

I'm just worried since I tried running battlefield 3 on low settings and had like 10-20 fps. If i can't run the game at least on medium I'll be getting a new rig.

1680x1050

I'm just worried since I tried running battlefield 3 on low settings and had like 10-20 fps. If i can't run the game at least on medium I'll be getting a new rig.

if you have money to spare

but you could simply turn down your resolution.

just a bit of news on this topic .. the game will run maxed out on a 270 since thats the rig they used for the PC demos .. http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/441580-pc-gamer-us-december-2011-scans/

The 270 is a beast of a card buts its still a bit old and not really uber high end .. its a higher mid range DX10 card.. but that should still dissolve the rumors of needing some heavenly future PC that some of you keep spreading o_O .. knock it off guys .. its not gonna need a beast.

They said it was a GTX 470 - there is no such thing as a 270, but there is a 275, which was very nice in it's time... ;) Anyway, the writer said it was running smooth and looking fantastic @ 1680 x 1050 resolution with a GTX 470 and an i7 860... not a bleeding edge PC by any means, but it would still be considered to be high end by most peoples standards. PC hardware enthusiasts and technicians may not think so, but we're in the minority I'm afraid. Either way, I'm hoping to max it out @ 1920 x 1080 with texture mods installed at some point....

oh crap .. your right .. 470 o__o .. thats much better .. meh .. the writer is an idiot for calling it mid range .. then again this is a PC gamer magazine .. they are gonna talk about anything below a 590 as if it was trash and outdated.

Not worried about my computer running Skyrim at all but one thing in my computer building I never payed much attention was hd speed. I use a 5400rpm 2tb drive as my main drive. I have three or four more internals tucked away inside that I never even use. I have no idea what speed they are. Does it make that much of a difference? The only game that takes awhile to load is the first witcher right when you first start.Other than that I don't even pay attention to loading time. I did some research and they said the 7200 rpm really doesn't make much difference. This ssd business sounds interesting though is this something I should look into? If so what size should I pick up, it will be just for my new shiny copy of Skyrim of course, after mods I was thinking 20 or 30 gb....Then again I hear loading screens on skyrim are interactive :psyduck: ........

More a computer question than a Skyrim one:

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series video card. I was considering replacing them with a new 6970, but then I realised that I have 3.2GB of usable video RAM currently.

Should I buy a new one, or is there no point?

(This is because I want Skyrim to run nicely. I realise I probably won't get max settings, but I want to get at least mid-way to three quarters there. At the moment, I get max settings on modded Oblivion if that helps any)

At what resolution? I could play vanilla Oblivion @ 1080p back in the day on a single HD 4850, but with mods such as Quarl's Texture pack etc... I had to go Crossfire and I still ran out of VRAM in The Great Forest etc..

It sounds like you are running on a 32bit Operating System? You do not have 3.2 GB of VRAM, that's most likely the amount of useable RAM for your entire system. Anyhow, depending on your resolution and the rest of your system, a 6970 may either be bottlenecked or be overkill. We need your complete system specifications to be able to competently advise you in this situation. :)

Nope, I do have 3.2GB of VRAM (system says it is approximately 3318MB, but diagnostics show that I'm only using around the 3.2GB mark). I am on Windows 7 64bit OS with 6GB ram with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 3GHz processor.

Resolution I play Oblivion at is 1280x720, and I have several graphics mods going, including Qarl's texture pack, Diverse Landscapes and Better Cities among many others without a framerate drop

A 4300 or 4500 series video card with 3+ GB of VRAM does not exist. You are confusing onboard video card memory with virtual memory, they are not the same at all. ;)

Hang on, you're assuming that I only have one

Please don't assume I don't know anything about computers, I am more than capable. I got this info from dxdiag, and as double proof, here is what I got from "Can youRun it":

Video Card

Required You Have

Video RAM 16 MB 3.2 GB

3D Yes Yes

My virtual memory is much more than 3GB.

What I am wondering is whether 3.2GB of 4300/4500 would be more than ok, or should I spend the $300 and upgrade

Edited by LeopoldCrank

Im not gonna have a problem running this. I think i could probably run it on max actually.

Intel Core i7 930 at 2.80GHZ

6Gb of DDR3 Ram

Ati Radeon HD 5870 1Gb

215Gb of free hardrive space (need lots of space for future mods)

Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate

24inch Samsung LED Monitor 1920x1080

Edited by Mitch2129