The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

Already in the process of upgrading with the goal to max vanilla Skyrim at 1080p and I think I should be good to go.

From

Q6600 @ 2.5 Ghz

4 GB DDR2 RAM

1 GB 5770

to

i5-2500K OC'ed to 4.5 Ghz

8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 Mhz

1 GB 460GTX Hawk in SLI OC'ed to 560TI levels

Edited by roninmedia

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's nothing I'm proud of really. But when I check the requirements these days, the only big problem seems to be my old card.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz 2.39 GHz

4.GB RAM

Vista (might upgrade to W7 before Skyrim release and add like 2 GB of RAM)

If you have any advice of what to get, please don't be shy ;)

My personal opinion is that your system as it is should be fine for Skyrim

(but we'll see when they release the official system requirements)

My advice would be that it isn't necessary to upgrade to win 7 unless you like I am sick to death with Vista lol

My other piece of advice would be about your RAM.

If you are going to upgrade that then i'll pass on some advice that a friend of mine gave me, and that is that before you choose the RAM you want you should first check what kind works best with your motherboard.

EDIT: (This is because not all Ram is compatable)

I have a Gigabyte motherboard so I checked their website and found that a brand called “Corsair” works best with my motherboard.

Yeah man, thanks. The thing is, I have 32 bit operative system, which only recognizes like max 4GB of RAM, that's why I thought of Windows 7 64 bit operative system, because then I can upgrade my RAM easily.

Oh i see lol well in that case its a MUST! ha that was the same problem my friend has with vista. he pluged in two 4GB sticks and couldnt understand why he was only getting 3.86GB's worth.

what size of hard drive do you have?

Already in the process of upgrading with the goal to max vanilla Skyrim at 1080p and I think I should be good to go.

From

Q6600 @ 2.5 Ghz

4 GB DDR2 RAM

1 GB 5770

to

i5-2500K OC'ed to 4.5 Ghz

8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 Mhz

1 GB 460GTX Hawk in SLI OC'ed to 560TI levels

That should handle it just fine, who knows what some of the talented modders might come up with to stress our systems, but the "vanilla" game should run very smoothly on a lesser machine than yours. :)

Well, it's nothing I'm proud of really. But when I check the requirements these days, the only big problem seems to be my old card.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz 2.39 GHz

4.GB RAM

Vista (might upgrade to W7 before Skyrim release and add like 2 GB of RAM)

If you have any advice of what to get, please don't be shy ;)

My personal opinion is that your system as it is should be fine for Skyrim

(but we'll see when they release the official system requirements)

My advice would be that it isn't necessary to upgrade to win 7 unless you like I am sick to death with Vista lol

My other piece of advice would be about your RAM.

If you are going to upgrade that then i'll pass on some advice that a friend of mine gave me, and that is that before you choose the RAM you want you should first check what kind works best with your motherboard.

EDIT: (This is because not all Ram is compatable)

I have a Gigabyte motherboard so I checked their website and found that a brand called “Corsair” works best with my motherboard.

Yeah man, thanks. The thing is, I have 32 bit operative system, which only recognizes like max 4GB of RAM, that's why I thought of Windows 7 64 bit operative system, because then I can upgrade my RAM easily.

Oh i see lol well in that case its a MUST! ha that was the same problem my friend has with vista. he pluged in two 4GB sticks and couldnt understand why he was only getting 3.86GB's worth.

what size of hard drive do you have?

I have no idea, lol

Here are some possible system specs.

i don't know how accurate they are as there is no sources mentioned but if anybody could confirm, that would be great.

No one knows the official specs and I would say that these are not accurate. I would wait a few more weeks for the official specs to be released.

Now a question :whistling: . Everyone think 32gb be enough room for Skyrim and mods? I would say the game would be around 10gb to 16gb so that would leave me with 22gb to 16gb for mods. May seem silly but Oblivion was only 4gb and if memory serves me correctly the oblivion folder became quite large by the time I was done adding mods.

No one knows the official specs and I would say that these are not accurate. I would wait a few more weeks for the official specs to be released.

game is supposed to be released in a month and a day

its about time they got their [censored] together and published some official specs

game is supposed to be released in a month and a day

its about time they got their [censored] together and published some official specs

I totally agree! People need time to do upgrades if they feel they need to. I want to know how many gb it's going to be so I have healthy breathing room for mods. I had to order blindly last night and hope that I did the right thing.

Those system requirements seem plausible other than the 512mb vram for the recommended, I think 1Gb is more likely myself. Since it's not coming from an official source, it's best to take it with a grain of salt for now.

@angelfenriz - Are you looking at getting a 32gb SSD just for Skyrim?