The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

Hey guys,

Will I be able to run Skyrim on medium settings? My laptop was able to run Dragon Age Origins on high settings and FNV smoothly.

Laptop:

CPU: Intel ® Core2 Duo CPU P7550 @ 2.26GHz ~2.3GHz

RAM: 4GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M

Display: 1366 x 768

(GPU is built in the motherboard which I suppose it cannot be replaced...)

Desktop:

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4200

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840T Processor 2.9GHz

RAM: 6GB

Your Lappy is able to play Crysis on High so I would imagine that Skyrim wouldn't be problem on Medium maybe even higher with that resolution.

Now your Desktop.. HD4200 is hard to find details on but with limited info I found I think its actually worse than one in your Lappy.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Will I be able to run Skyrim on medium settings? My laptop was able to run Dragon Age Origins on high settings and FNV smoothly.

Laptop:

CPU: Intel ® Core2 Duo CPU P7550 @ 2.26GHz ~2.3GHz

RAM: 4GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M

(GPU is built in the motherboard which I suppose it cannot be replaced...)

Desktop:

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4200

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840T Processor 2.9GHz

RAM: 6GB

Your Lappy is able to play Crysis on High so I would imagine that Skyrim wouldn't be problem on Medium maybe even higher with that resolution.

Now your Desktop.. HD4200 is hard to find details on but with limited info I found I think its actually worse than one in your Lappy.

A GT 130M cannot play Crysis not at any respectable settings without being choppy. I had a 130m in an old work laptop and it just isn't beefy enough for any serious gaming. I would forget about playing Skyrim on the laptop but the desktop should be good if you put a new videocard in it.

The 460 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391

The 550ti http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121435

The 6870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

The 6850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

Are all cards that should run Skyrim on high to max settings. Most cards within the $150 - $250 range should run Skyrim without any issues. Shop around, check the reviews, and make sure your power supply has enough juice to run the card. If you have some money to throw around go big now and save yourself the trouble of having to run SLI/Crossfire or upgrade in the near future.

Edited by NAPALM13092

well it depends on how well the game is optimized, if its ported like GTA 4 then all of these discussions will be irrelevant.

Well it is ported from the 360, but then again, so are almost all bethesda games nowadays. I think they've put extra care into Skyrim though. It's their flagship franchise afterall.

Would a NVIDIA 9800 be enough for high settings?

That depends on your resolution. The 9800 GT (or the slighlty better GTX) is getting quite dated these days, but it's still capable of good settings at lower resolutions, or low settings at higher resolutions.

That depends on your resolution. The 9800 GT (or the slighlty better GTX) is getting quite dated these days, but it's still capable of good settings at lower resolutions, or low settings at higher resolutions.

Do you think the geforce 210 will handle Skyrim on 1920x1080 if I have all the settings on lowest?

I wouldn't count on it (not smoothly, at least). That's not much VRAM for such a high resolution, and I doubt Skyrim's lowest settings will be as easy to run as older games'. It's only a $30 dollar card; would it be absolutely impossible to upgrade?

EDIT: Wait, do you have the passive version, or the 1GB version with a fan? 1GB is easily enough VRAM, but it's still DDR3 at only a 500Mhz core. Your chances aren't great for smooth gameplay, but much better with the $40 version compared to the passive version.

Edited by Rennn

Do you think the geforce 210 will handle Skyrim on 1920x1080 if I have all the settings on lowest?

No I don't. The NVIDIA Geforce 210 is a dismally weak video card for any kind of modern 3D gaming. It's not intended for gaming, and it shows in the level of performance, or rather, the lack of performance. If you want to game at 1080p then you need to pony up and buy a real video card.... just for a point of reference, what are the specifications of your computer?

Laptop: TOSHIBA Satellite L650

CPU: Intel® Core i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

RAM: 4096MB RAM

GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Display Memory: 2737 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB

Shared Memory: 1723 MB

how should my laptop handle it?

I don't mind not playing at super high graphics, I just like to play PC games without any slowdowns