The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

Was planning to build my first desktop Q1 2012 but with release Skyrim planned to get my rig now and upgrade some parts later , think a single GTX 570 will max out Skyrim especially in regards with draw distances maxed out or is it bit too much to hope for? Edited by Bubbletub

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I has a question. Why does everyone seem to have an AMD HD graphics card? When I looked on the Graphics card hierarchy chart, the Nvidia Geforce exceeded AMD cards.

I wouldn't consider that chart as an absolute truth. I linked it to you because it had the mobile video cards, and their tests are less common.

Here's a good compilation of relatively new video card test results (http://www.ixbt.com/video/itogi-video/0911/itogi-video-cr4-wxp-pcie-aaa.html), in a real game (Crysis Warhead - still one of the most demanding), not some fancy benchmark.

All in all, I'd say: if you want PhysX - get NVidia, if you don't - AMD may be better (especially if your CPU is also AMD).

I have doubts on wether or not I can run Skyrim at it's best. My graphics card isn't the best out there but I do have an i7 processor.

Intel® Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz, 2934 MHz

4GB RAM

NVidia GeForce GT 230

HD 1920x1080

Windows 7 64bit

Not sure how to find my RPM.

You need a new video card, your CPU is very good, but your video card is low end at best..... was this a pre-built unit? If your Power Supply can handle it you should look to upgrade.

What's a good graphics card beyond the GT 230 for this?

I have doubts on wether or not I can run Skyrim at it's best. My graphics card isn't the best out there but I do have an i7 processor.

4GB RAM

NVidia GeForce GT 230

HD 1920x1080

Windows 7 64bit

You need a new video card, your CPU is very good, but your video card is low end at best..... was this a pre-built unit? If your Power Supply can handle it you should look to upgrade.

rec card is the 260 .. but if your going to update get something in the 400 series or 500 series .. 450/550 or better

4GB RAM

NVidia GeForce GT 230

HD 1920x1080

Windows 7 64bit

rec card is the 260 .. but if your going to update get something in the 400 series or 500 series .. 450/550 or better

450 and 550 are worse cards that 260 only think is that they have DX11 but is it really a good thing when they they cannot outperform 260?

if you really want to upgrade to something that will last long you can go for 5870/6870/GTX470/GTX570 but if that is out of your budget you can go for 5770/6770/GTX460(768M)

4GB RAM

NVidia GeForce GT 230

HD 1920x1080

Windows 7 64bit

450 and 550 are worse cards that 260 only think is that they have DX11 but is it really a good thing when they they cannot outperform 260?

if you really want to upgrade to something that will last long you can go for 5870/6870/GTX470/GTX570 but if that is out of your budget you can go for 5770/6770/GTX460(768M)

Wrong .. look into some benchmarks instead of just numbers .. the 550 outperforms the 260 and the 450 is on par.

Around what FPS and settings should this run Skyrim on:

i7 870 quad core (2.93 ghz)

8 GB RAM

Radeon HD 5770

1920x1080 res

windows 7 64-bit

I have no doubt that it will run well, but my main question is that recently, my computer has been running Borderlands (a not very demanding game) at 25-30 FPS at highest settings. However, when running the Battlefield 3 beta a few weeks ago (a demanding game as you may know), it ran well at medium-high settings and 1080p. My computer has also started to become louder as I play games, and all this is occurring after I messed around with MSI Afterburner. Any ideas of why this is happening?

Around what FPS and settings should this run Skyrim on:

i7 870 quad core (2.93 ghz)

8 GB RAM

Radeon HD 5770

1920x1080 res

windows 7 64-bit

I have no doubt that it will run well, but my main question is that recently, my computer has been running Borderlands (a not very demanding game) at 25-30 FPS at highest settings. However, when running the Battlefield 3 beta a few weeks ago (a demanding game as you may know), it ran well at medium-high settings and 1080p. My computer has also started to become louder as I play games, and all this is occurring after I messed around with MSI Afterburner. Any ideas of why this is happening?

I can't tell you for sure what FPS; but it should run well on high settings.

Your PC is loud because the temperature increases in the CPU and GPU, and because of that the fans have to blow faster to keep it cold.

If you have overclocked the GPU or CPU you should probably bring it back to stock if the sound is really that loud.

4GB RAM

NVidia GeForce GT 230

HD 1920x1080

Windows 7 64bit

Wrong .. look into some benchmarks instead of just numbers .. the 550 outperforms the 260 and the 450 is on par.

Actually.. it depends.

GTX260 216core that I was looking at is on par with GTX550Ti and normal GTX260 is on par with GTX450.. nVidia as confusing as it gets.