The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

@BuckeyeTiba: Tough call on what could be happening with Borderlands. It could be anything from bugs in the program, driver issues, host connection problems, etc. It's a fun game though.

About the noise, if you haven't been cleaning your PC regularly you may want to do an inspection. Whenever I started having noise issues, it usually meant that either the fans were clogged with filth and needed to be cleaned or they were dying and needed to be replaced.

If you are particularly unlucky, one or more of your capacitors on either your GPU or main board could have suffered damage from excess heat, defective materials or simply age.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk if this is the right information... Please help!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Model G74Sx

Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM

System type 64-bit operating system

Number of processor cores 4

Storage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 907 GB

Disk partition (C:) 259 GB Free (441 GB Total)

Disk partition (D:) 224 GB Free (233 GB Total)

Disk partition (E:) 21 GB Free (233 GB Total)

Media drive (F:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

Total available graphics memory 4095 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 2048 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 2047 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.6837

Primary monitor resolution 1360x768

DirectX version DirectX 10

@ClarityNightfall: Looks like you easily exceed requirements at this point. The only thing that might hold you back a bit is the hard drive's speed causing slightly longer load times. Barring switching your main hard drive to an SSD I don't see anything else you can significantly change hardware-wise. You should be able to run it on high settings. Funny thing though, the GTX 560M should be dx11. Do you need to update?

@ClarityNightfall: Looks like you easily exceed requirements at this point. The only thing that might hold you back a bit is the hard drive's speed causing slightly longer load times. Barring switching your main hard drive to an SSD I don't see anything else you can significantly change hardware-wise. You should be able to run it on high settings. Funny thing though, the GTX 560M should be dx11. Do you need to update?

Update, how do i do this?

@ClarityNightfall: According to the description on the Asus website, http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/ , your laptop should have DX11. You don't need it for Skyrim but it is supposed to be able to use it in a limited fashion.

To check if you have DirectX 11 go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Which-version-of-DirectX-is-on-your-computer

Also, if you haven't been updating or just left it to update automatically, go into the control panel and click windows update to see if there are any that the auto updates may have skipped something that you could use. You should also check the Asus support page for firmware updates.

I'm planning on getting a Cyberpower PC Black Pearl. Through the customization process I had the option of three graphics cards. Here are the CPU and GPU specs I chose:

Intel Core i7 - 990X Extreme Edition 3.46GHz 12m Intel Smart Cache LGAT366 [t860]

Geforce GTX 580 3GB 16X PCIe

Geforce GTX 590 Dual GPU SLI 3GB 16X PCIe

I chose what I thought to be the very best options. Can someone more educated on all this comment on anything. Are these indeed very good specs? Is there any significance in having three graphics cards? Do the specs I chose ultimately add up to four graphics cards, since the last one is a 'Dual GPU'? Anything else I might need to know?

I'm planning on getting a Cyberpower PC Black Pearl. Through the customization process I had the option of three graphics cards. Here are the CPU and GPU specs I chose:

Intel Core i7 - 990X Extreme Edition 3.46GHz 12m Intel Smart Cache LGAT366 [t860]

I chose what I thought to be the very best options. Can someone more educated on all this comment on anything. Are these indeed very good specs? Is there any significance in having three graphics cards? Do the specs I chose ultimately add up to four graphics cards, since the last one is a 'Dual GPU'? Anything else I might need to know?

That cpu is a waste of money 2nd gen intel 4 core do more and cost less. You don't need a 3gb gtx 580 or let alone two of them that's way overkill and pointless having 6gbs of VRAM. Also the gtx590 say dual Becuase it's really two gpus in one card. Again both the 580 and 590 could run skyrim in the highest setting.... Easily very very easily.

That cpu is a waste of money 2nd gen intel 4 core do more and cost less. You don't need a 3gb gtx 580 or let alone two of them that's way overkill and pointless having 6gbs of VRAM. Also the gtx590 say dual Becuase it's really two gpus in one card. Again both the 580 and 590 could run skyrim in the highest setting.... Easily very very easily.

Agreed. You can max out Skyrim, indeed all current games for far, far less money. A single GTX 580 is enough for anything on the market right now realistically, and an i5 2500k or whatever the cheapest i7 is will be more than enough processor. I have a 1st gen i7 920 from 2008 and I have yet to max it out during intensive 3D work, much less running a videogame.

There is a general consensus that building/buying absolute top of the line, cutting edge tech for gaming is a waste, when you can often get 90% of the real-world performance for a fraction of the cost. I am assuming this PC you were building was up in the $5-6,000 range, which is wayyyy too much for what you likely need. A machine in the $1200-1500 range is going to be far more cost effective and will leave you a lot of extra money for future upgrades.

Think of it this way; a $600 graphics card today is going to have the same performance of a $150 card three years from now. Its all about finding that sweet spot of performance vs. cost.

.....Im done rambling.

Thanks guys :thumbsup: Although, cost doesn't overly bother me. I have money to spare, and I've worked out how long it will take to earn the rest on my wages.

Yes, I am extremely greedy when it comes to technology... :teehee: Especially mods :unsure: I guess it is because I irrationally stress that it might end up being not all that great.

My System:

Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Model P55-UD3

Total amount of system memory 4,00 GB RAM

System type 32-bit operating system (Windows 7 Home Premium)

Number of processor cores 4/ 2.79 GHz (Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz)

Good for 64-bits Yes

Storage

Disk partition (C:) 806 GB Free (931 GB total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Total available graphics memory 2429 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 896 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 1533 MB

Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080

DirectX version DirectX 10

System requirements Skyrim for playing on high settings:

Recommended Specs

•Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)

•Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU

•4GB System RAM

•6GB free HDD space

•DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher (i.e GTX550Ti); ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).

•DirectX compatible sound card

So I can play Skyrim on high settings but I realy want to play it on ultra. What do I have to upgrade?

Edited by ufw7