The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

My System:

4,00 GB RAM

32-bit operating system Windows 7 Home Premium

Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

So I can play Skyrim on high settings but I realy want to play it on ultra. What do I have to upgrade?

The GPU needs an upgrade if you want to play it on very high settings. I'm not an expert on Nvidia cards. I heard the GTX460 is good and cheap.

If you want AMD, a 6850/6870 is great (I'm recommending it), if you have (A lot) more money a 6950 will do even better, even though it's expensive, it will dominate every game today and in years to come.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My System:

4,00 GB RAM

32-bit operating system Windows 7 Home Premium

Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

So I can play Skyrim on high settings but I realy want to play it on ultra. What do I have to upgrade?

The GPU needs an upgrade if you want to play it on very high settings. I'm not an expert on Nvidia cards. I heard the GTX460 is good and cheap.

If you want AMD, a 6850/6870 is great (I'm recommending it), if you have (A lot) more money a 6950 will do even better, even though it's expensive, it will dominate every game today and in years to come.

Yep, good upgrades, either the Nvidia GTX 460 (560 is the same thing (non "ti" version) or a HD 6850 or 6870 from AMD will do very well with Skyrim and all of them are easily found for under $200... even under $150 if you look around enough.

Also, overclocking your CPU would probably help. I have the exact same Processor, but it's OC'd nearly 1GH higher... that does make a difference in some games. :)

Hey guys I wonder if I can top it with my new computer. I was playing BF 3 on the ultra settings ( with very nice FPS ) so I am guessing it will also be ultra for Skyrim. But here are my specs:

Intel® Core i7-2600k CPU @ 3.4 GHZ

8 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 560 Ti - NVIDIA

1 TB HDD

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

What do you think?

Thanks!

Hey guys I wonder if I can top it with my new computer. I was playing BF 3 on the ultra settings ( with very nice FPS ) so I am guessing it will also be ultra for Skyrim. But here are my specs:

8 GB RAM

1 TB HDD

What do you think?

Thanks!

Since your system is like x2 the recommended, I don't see your concern mister.

8 GB RAM

1 TB HDD

What do you think?

Thanks!

I know but, I meant can I play on the highest settings. Ofcourse it'll deal with the "high" settings and I'd have a good time playing.

But what about the highest? I read somewhere that the highest settings are quite heavy.

And when I was playing Crysis 2 with the HD graphics pack and DX11 update it wasnt REALLY fluent, although I have quite the package.

Thats my concern.

Edited by Diso

Battlefield 3 is one of the most demanding video games ever (at Ultra settings with Max AA etc...). The only games that really are in it's league are Crysis 1 (still a beast if you play at absolute max settings) and Metro 2033 ( one of the first "true DX11 games). If you can play any of those games with decent settings and resolution then rest assured you can romp through Skyrim with relative ease. :D

*add Crysis 2 with DX11 & texture pack, also Lost Planet 2 and AvP - although they are both unoptimized messes imo.

Edited by Elder III

8 GB RAM

1 TB HDD

What do you think?

Thanks!

I know but, I meant can I play on the highest settings. Ofcourse it'll deal with the "high" settings and I'd have a good time playing.

But what about the highest? I read somewhere that the highest settings are quite heavy.

And when I was playing Crysis 2 with the HD graphics pack and DX11 update it wasnt REALLY fluent, although I have quite the package.

Thats my concern.

I wouldn't be worried man. Although I don't work for Bethesda. But if I had that rig, I wouldn't be worried one bit. :thumbsup:

Hello, I was wondering if my PC should be able to run Skyrim on high settings if I upgrade my GPU.

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

4GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

I'd like to update the GPU to a GeForce GTX 550 Ti or 560 Ti. (If I get the 560 Ti, I'll need a new power supply) Would that be enough, or would I need a more powerful processor as well?

I've compared my system to the recommended specs, and it almost meets them:

win7 x64

4GB RAM (DDR2)

Intel Core2 Duo E8500 [email protected]

ATI Radeon 4850

I only have 2 cores, but they're running at over 3GHz. My video card is just below the rec spec, but it does have 1gb vram. I remember reading somewhere that the ati4800 series isn't very good for games, can anyone confirm or deny that?

I assume that Skyrim is designed asynchronously, so it will be able to take advantage of N cores. Do you think having a faster processor will make up for the lower number of cores?

Also, do you think that having a SSD would increase performance? A 6GB HD footprint is not very much. If Bethesda was able to implement a new compression technique to really shrink down the install size, then I can only imagine that they're unpacking that data while you're playing the game. That may lead to more disk hits for smallish amounts of data that are unpacked into relatively larger amounts of actual RAM.

It's a custom built system, so I do have some leeway in upgrading it. I figure I'll get the game and see how it plays anyway, but it would be nice to have some ideas from you all before I start replacing things.

I've compared my system to the recommended specs, and it almost meets them:

win7 x64

4GB RAM (DDR2)

Intel Core2 Duo E8500 [email protected]

ATI Radeon 4850

I only have 2 cores, but they're running at over 3GHz. My video card is just below the rec spec, but it does have 1gb vram. I remember reading somewhere that the ati4800 series isn't very good for games, can anyone confirm or deny that?

I assume that Skyrim is designed asynchronously, so it will be able to take advantage of N cores. Do you think having a faster processor will make up for the lower number of cores?

Also, do you think that having a SSD would increase performance? A 6GB HD footprint is not very much. If Bethesda was able to implement a new compression technique to really shrink down the install size, then I can only imagine that they're unpacking that data while you're playing the game. That may lead to more disk hits for smallish amounts of data that are unpacked into relatively larger amounts of actual RAM.

It's a custom built system, so I do have some leeway in upgrading it. I figure I'll get the game and see how it plays anyway, but it would be nice to have some ideas from you all before I start replacing things.

SSD would basically just help with loading times. Plus they are quite expensive. I would not invest in that quite yet. I would go with something else.