FPS very low

BlueGunk

Hi folks

Many thanks for your helpful replies. I'll take out Streamline altogether I think. I have already noticed it resets my Oblivion INI tweaks...grrr.

I've been doing some more investigation and removed OBGE Shaders and NIFSe. I tracked these down as being the main FPS killers on my system. Getting rid of these has made a difference and I'm up to around 16-25 FPS, which is a big improvement for me! The on-screen visual flow is acceptable now - virtually smooth compared to this morning. I've also removed a sound file for fighting that should free up some space in battles. I'll now revisit the Oblivion Launcher and try a few settings there again.

I fiddled with AA and AF settings on in my ATI card Catalyst controller today. I set them for performance rather than quality and my tests did not show them hitting the FPS if I set them carefully. The AF in particular adds some nice graphic improvements. Switching these on / off affects look, but does not seem to hit FPS so long as I keep the effects very low-key.

Thank you so much for your help. I think I'm getting there!

All the best, Clive

PS I got defraggler - Googled it. Shall give it a run!

That looks like the correct approach to me - the Microsoft Security Essentials interface gives you a little more control and allows exclusion of specific processes, which is one of the reasons I switched to it from AVG.

Item #BF on the list - you need to adjust the BOSS sorting order to move the delinquent esp file back in front of the VWalk esp. That shouldn't kill frame rate, but the VWalk bits won't behave til you do it.

Hi

Thanks for the heads up on the #BF item. I had not noticed it! But - yes, seriously obvious now I look at it. So, I've reordered my load order. No wonder my group of companions made Long John Silver's pirate crew look look like a bunch of athletes. Mine were limping, hopping and skipping all over the place and I was getting more irritated with it by the day. But I've been focused on the FPS issue! Should all be a little more smooth now...

Thank you! Clive

Being as the system is a laptop you are a tad limited on upgrades, but try the following as resources allow:

(1) Faster spinning hard drive - many laptops are 5400 rpm, a 7200 (hard to get and expensive) can make a fair difference.

(2) If using Windows 7, plug in a USB memory stick and allow it to use readyboost.

(3) If not on Windows 7, google for Omega video drivers and try them. On my old XP rig the difference compared with the stock drivers was startling.

(4) There's a "3GB Memory Patch" for Oblivion which allows it to use memory over 2GB - can possibly make a difference although your milage may vary.

(Edited as the rest not relevant to a laptop)

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Thank you for your comments! I'll try the stutter remover. Not so sure about the 3GB patch - I'll have a think.

I do have improvements from dumping OBGE's shaders. I only ever used Godrays, and I can live without them though they were nice!

Cheers all for your time and input!

Clive

Streamline can help on a weak system. But don't expect miracles. It works by trading graphics features for fps with the intent of smoothing your gameplay. - If you set a high max FPS value in Streamline it can kill any graphics effects you try to use. It works best when you don't use any mods to improve the vanilla game graphics settings. When I was using it on an older system, I had the best luck with a max setting around 28fps and a min of about 13. It will try to keep your fps in that range by changing the graphics settings in the Oblivion.ini on the fly. So if you are in a graphics heavy location - such as the imperial city market district, you will loose a lot of graphic detail., but your FPS will stay higher.

It can only do so much though. If you don't have much to work with as far as graphics settings, then it won't be able to make much difference.

If you use any other mod that caps the fps it will conflict with that part of streamline.

Ha! Bben46 I like your signature line about spending too much time on the mods.

Thanks for your info about streamline. Actually it seems to be benefitting my set up. I took it out and noticed a loss in FPS (quite serious considering only 10FPS before removing it!) So I've kept it in. I'm running a streamline setting of 11-26 at the moment

I've just tried Oblivion Stutter Remover and made sure Streamline was adjusted to fit inside the OSR parameters (OSR is supposed to work with Streamline...). But the introduction of OSR is causing multiple CTDs when I was perfectly OK prior to it. I might have to go with one or the other to avoid this - will experiment.

I feel a few beers coming along...!

Thanks for all your support. I'm so grateful for such a considerate bunch of modding people!

Clive

I apologize because this is off topic, but I've tried and tried to figure out how to tell AVG not to load scan Oblivion. How did you do it? I have AVG Full.

Thanks so much!

suzy

Hi Suzy

Happy to help if I can! I'm using AVG Free 10.0.1375 (latest). I'm not 100% sure this is right but I went to Tools / Advanced Settings, and in the box that pops up I selected "Resident Shield, Excluded Items" from the list in the left pane and added my Oblivion Directory to the right pane using the "Add Path" button. I'm now assuming AVG will ignore the Oblivion directory and its contents as they are picked up and used by the game. Sadly it won't stop scanning stuff that's floating around the caches but I thought it might be better than nothing.

If you think I've done it all wrong - please don't hesitate to say so! :happy: I could not see any other way of blocking Oblivion on load scan.

Clive

Thanks so much! I did not know that I was supposed to look under Resident Shield. That worked like a charm. :smile:

My system would not run Oblivion without serious lag and stutter when I first started as well as game freezes. After following the advice on this forum it runs very smoothly. I used:

Gamebooster

Stutter Remover

Memory Patch

Quiet Feet

Combat FPS Optimizer

and Oblivion Polygone Overhaul.

I have absolutely no lag or stutter now and not one crash since I tweaked my game. I think Stutter Remover made the biggest difference, followed by Quiet Feet.

Thanks again!

suzy

I apologize because this is off topic, but I've tried and tried to figure out how to tell AVG not to load scan Oblivion. How did you do it? I have AVG Full.

Thanks so much!

suzy

Hi Suzy

Happy to help if I can! I'm using AVG Free 10.0.1375 (latest). I'm not 100% sure this is right but I went to Tools / Advanced Settings, and in the box that pops up I selected "Resident Shield, Excluded Items" from the list in the left pane and added my Oblivion Directory to the right pane using the "Add Path" button. I'm now assuming AVG will ignore the Oblivion directory and its contents as they are picked up and used by the game. Sadly it won't stop scanning stuff that's floating around the caches but I thought it might be better than nothing.

If you think I've done it all wrong - please don't hesitate to say so! :happy: I could not see any other way of blocking Oblivion on load scan.

Clive

Thanks so much! I did not know that I was supposed to look under Resident Shield. That worked like a charm. :smile:

My system would not run Oblivion without serious lag and stutter when I first started as well as game freezes. After following the advice on this forum it runs very smoothly. I used:

Gamebooster

Stutter Remover

Memory Patch

Quiet Feet

Combat FPS Optimizer

and Oblivion Polygone Overhaul.

I have absolutely no lag or stutter now and not one crash since I tweaked my game. I think Stutter Remover made the biggest difference, followed by Quiet Feet.

Thanks again!

suzy

Hmm - thank you for that list. I might try dumping Streamline and using your mod list. At the moment Stutter Remover is a game killer for me, but without Streamline it should be OK and a few folks have said Streamline can be more trouble than it is worth.

Glad the AVG turned out OK!

All the best, Clive

I might try dumping Streamline

When you remove Streamline, be prepared to adjust various settings back to where they should be. The uninstall of Streamline will NOT remove the adjustments it made to the ini file.