Wanted: Co-op LAN mod for Skyrim.

plumata

don't give up. try to coax the best programmers around and set yourself up a little team of 4 or something. Then be prepared to spend years in development. It's possible, just not in the short term view. When there is a will. There is a way. Go for it =)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I have seen several 'impossible' things done with mods, I believe that this may be more difficult than you think. It would actually be easier to recreate the Elder Scrolls world using a game engine suited to multiplayer than to force multiplayer onto an engine designed for single player. But don't give up just because I don't think it can be done. As I said, I have already seen several 'impossible' things done with mods. :thumbsup:

I'll just take the word of people who have tried and partially succeded at doing it. I've seen a LOT of people mess up with what they expect a single modder or even a team can do.

adding co-op LAN to a single-player RPG game made by a company known for not having multiplayer in their games, for a good reason?

This is Madness!

Yeah no this won't work mate, even if you did get it working on Skyrim by some miracle, do you know how crappy it would be?

its like trying to make a Slug do a handstand (I don't like comparing Skyrim to a slug) while teaching it the finer points of cooking escargot.

see where I'm coming from?

Plus offering money to make a mod is illegal, even if you say its a bounty.

This is Madness!

This is Sparta!

Plus offering money to make a mod is illegal, even if you say its a bounty.

wrong again, selling is illigal, but as long as the product stays free, everything is fine and nobody cares how much money you spend on workers.

I was actualy thinking about creating a mod like this for oblivion, it dosnt make mush sence to waste any more time on this old game, but skyrim sounds interesting and ifit going to be something truly nice, hen most likely i will start a multiplayer project just to test my ideas of implementing multiplayer infrastructure.

2pl coop should be no problem, simply increaseing the amount of enemys would make it playable.

If i would get 100k and Skyrim with Construction Set, i could write a mod like this in 2 or more weeks )

Really, everyone should stop talking about this. It will not work. Ever. So just stop, don't even try.

That's it. I've warned you. If you insist on continuing to dream, prepare to have your dreams broken, and you'll deserve every moment of it. Let it go, this will never work. And $100 is laughable. Try a couple million, that might get you somewhere... like a court room. Just. Stop. It's for your own good. :ohdear:

Really, everyone should stop talking about this. It will not work. Ever. So just stop, don't even try.

That's it. I've warned you. If you insist on continuing to dream, prepare to have your dreams broken, and you'll deserve every moment of it. Let it go, this will never work. And $100 is laughable. Try a couple million, that might get you somewhere... like a court room. Just. Stop. It's for your own good. :ohdear:

Hey man, I gotta say it, paying people to make a mod, as far as I have understood it for years, is not illegal so long as the mod is freely available. I'm pretty sure if it was illegal, the admins and mods here would have shut down the thread, since they have a rightfully stiff stance on illegal activities. As for telling people to stop dreaming, c'mon, we're modders! :thumbsup:

Red Dead Redemption from Rock Star Games has an excellent multiplayer (open world, NPC's included) I don't see why Bethesda insists Skyrim be single player. All they have to do is make the engine capable to handling multiple packages and leave it at that. I'm sure if that's in place a lot of modders would find it pretty simple to make a functioning online multiplayer addon.

Picture this, I'm walking alone IC water front at level 1, FCOM decides to spawn in 30 white entropic rats. One attacks me, super lag and instant CTD. If Oblivion can't handle simultaneous multiple AI packages, multiple players online would certainly send it up in flames. Its precisely why Oblivion Online failed, the engine isn't designed for it. But that's no excuse for Skyrim going down the same road. Maybe most X-box players (Bethesda's core audience) prefer a single player. You'll have to convince Bethesda to allow multiplayer for the console (like Red Dead Redemption) only then would you have a chance of seeing it on the PC.

I atleast hope Bethesda releases a multicore patch for Oblivion. Skyrim seems very cool, but if won't have any of the modded content of Oblivion atleast for a few years. Maybe someone with make a Oblivrim (like Morrobli**on)

I'm glad to see that this thread is at least still going, even if most people aren't interested it's nice to get a bit of encouragement, so thank you. Although some of you guys keep using words like "illegal" and "impossible", I don't think they mean what you think they mean.

I actually haven't had time to do much with this yet, we've got a contract at work to make 20 suits of elven armour for The Hobbit movie and it's a rush order so that's been keeping me pretty busy, it's a really cool project though so I'm not going to complain.

I have been working out a proof of concept idea for 2 player co-op Oblivion based on the Fallout 3 mod in my spare time, the only thing I can't find a solution to yet is camera sharing. Everything else can be done well enough for my purposes, but there just doesn't seem to be a way to display from two cameras at once.

Here's a question, can I take the third person camera and move it to the 2nd player's mesh?

That way I could switch the camera from player1 to player2 by toggling the 3rd person view. If that would work then perhaps I could also set a quest to toggle the view every other frame and have an external program split every other frame to a 2nd monitor or a similar solution.

Anyways, I haven't given up yet, still looking for solutions and would love any constructive input.

Edited by plumata

If your looking on how to make a multiplayer mod for Bethesda's games, i recommend contacting the individual responsible for making the Oblivion multiplayer mod called "MultiTES4"; seeing as how that individual will already have working knowledge on this topic

http://csusap.csu.edu.au/~mloxto01/ <---- MultiTES4 website

Note: that mod was made back in 2006

Edited by FreekillX1Alpha