Ad reporting functionality

Dark0ne

This is no directly linked to the adds, but for people who have the means and will to support the site.

I was thinking about the whole donation thing and how I could support the website at the same time.

What I did and tend to do is to donate lifetime premium membership to some of the mod authors who aren't yet.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #35649942. #35650687, #35651037 are all replies on the same post.

Pridornta wrote: Noone and I do mean NOONE will ever turn off adblockers no matter what kind of incentives you try to use. I can assure you of that. People hate and despise all forms of advertising, especially those that have the audacity to try and infect your pc with viruses. Most people wont even take the chance, just in case. I am one of those people, though lucky for you I am a premium member. I only do that because I use this site a lot and felt it was the right thing to do. The only way I can see you getting anywhere with advertising is by simply not doing it and finding another source of income, or at least sticking with what you have. Adverts turn people away.
omega2008 wrote: Don't speak for everyone. I turned adblock off simply because I know the website needs big money to run, didn't need incentives to do this. The ads aren't annoying here, they're actually easy to just ignore.
EagleRaptor1522 wrote: They didn't stay within their boundaries. Plus they looked like the kind that appear due to a virus.

" especially those that have the audacity to try and infect your pc with viruses. " Hahahahahaaaa

* ahem *

Serious. It won't happen if your browser has secure privacy settings and that you have a solid AV. The host that uses the ad service can also make it more secure by sandboxing it or implement a strict SOP. Still, most infections occurs after the user has clicked on the ad.

I allow these ads. I even don't have adblockers installed. Why ? Because they need an income. If you advises to find another source of income, please suggest them. Be sure that you can reach an income of > 780,000 US $ on yearly base.

Also " Adverts turn people away " is not true. Look to major sites like YouTube. You can say that sites like Pinterest / Facebook doesn't have ads, but they gain their income by selling/using visitor's data. Or wikipedia ? They rely on charity. Their costs is also lower than this nexus.

So please don't yell if this site wants to use ads. Nothing is free. Especially hosting a large file service that Nexus provides. If you have problems with that, then do what you have said with " Adverts turn people away ". Go away. Or you're a hypocrite. Edited by xybolt

In response to post #35646727. #35647377 is also a reply to the same post.

CharlieSteal wrote: My issue with most of the ads is they are often bloated, dynamic (flash-based maybe?) and EAT memory. Just turning off adblock for this page immediately raised my RAM usage from 3880 MB to about 4360 MB. 480 MB for one page! I frequently go on a Nexus binge, having as many as 20 or more Nexus tabs open, so I can pick out which mods I'm interested in from the files page, each in a new tab. Then I download them one by one from there. You can imagine how if each page requires an additional 500 MB or so then 20 pages may fill up 8-12 GB of RAM. In doing so, my browser slows down to a crawl. I'd also like to point out that while typing this, new ads keep loading and drastically slow down this simple text box, sometimes locking up the whole page while my browser waits for their connection. These ads are hogs.
1Doom1993 wrote: So is the OS that you're running. (Hog)

Some ads are causing memory leaks due of malfunctioning script in the background. I have mentioned it before. It gives you a feeling of "freeze". If you see one, just report it.

But at the end, it's the ad host that should fix their scripting.

Well since I did not want to see the ads here and support the page non the less, there is one easy solution. Buy premium. I figured since thanks to Nexus my games are expanded waaaay over their usual life expectancy and double or triple the hours I would put in them, I bought the lifetime premium. I think it's pretty worth it.

In response to post #35649942. #35650687, #35651037, #35653332 are all replies on the same post.

Pridornta wrote: Noone and I do mean NOONE will ever turn off adblockers no matter what kind of incentives you try to use. I can assure you of that. People hate and despise all forms of advertising, especially those that have the audacity to try and infect your pc with viruses. Most people wont even take the chance, just in case. I am one of those people, though lucky for you I am a premium member. I only do that because I use this site a lot and felt it was the right thing to do. The only way I can see you getting anywhere with advertising is by simply not doing it and finding another source of income, or at least sticking with what you have. Adverts turn people away.
omega2008 wrote: Don't speak for everyone. I turned adblock off simply because I know the website needs big money to run, didn't need incentives to do this. The ads aren't annoying here, they're actually easy to just ignore.
EagleRaptor1522 wrote: They didn't stay within their boundaries. Plus they looked like the kind that appear due to a virus.
xybolt wrote: " especially those that have the audacity to try and infect your pc with viruses. " Hahahahahaaaa

* ahem *

Serious. It won't happen if your browser has secure privacy settings and that you have a solid AV. The host that uses the ad service can also make it more secure by sandboxing it or implement a strict SOP. Still, most infections occurs after the user has clicked on the ad.

I allow these ads. I even don't have adblockers installed. Why ? Because they need an income. If you advises to find another source of income, please suggest them. Be sure that you can reach an income of > 780,000 US $ on yearly base.

Also " Adverts turn people away " is not true. Look to major sites like YouTube. You can say that sites like Pinterest / Facebook doesn't have ads, but they gain their income by selling/using visitor's data. Or wikipedia ? They rely on charity. Their costs is also lower than this nexus.

So please don't yell if this site wants to use ads. Nothing is free. Especially hosting a large file service that Nexus provides. If you have problems with that, then do what you have said with " Adverts turn people away ". Go away. Or you're a hypocrite.

Not true. I am an example.
Anyway, after reading the announcement, I realized how cheap is premium and I am thinking buy it, or at least, supporter. I was expecting some 10 USD/month or something.

In response to post #35649942. #35650687, #35651037, #35653332, #35654932 are all replies on the same post.

xybolt wrote: " especially those that have the audacity to try and infect your pc with viruses. " Hahahahahaaaa

* ahem *

So please don't yell if this site wants to use ads. Nothing is free. Especially hosting a large file service that Nexus provides. If you have problems with that, then do what you have said with " Adverts turn people away ". Go away. Or you're a hypocrite.
romanianjoker wrote: Not true. I am an example.
Anyway, after reading the announcement, I realized how cheap is premium and I am thinking buy it, or at least, supporter. I was expecting some 10 USD/month or something.

As someone who complained directly to staff about this a couple of weeks ago, I can definitely say you're wrong. I'm a person, and I'm planning to turn it off here (as I have before).

I pointed out the bloated ad problem directly to staff members a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if my comments had any effect on this whatsoever (although they never mentioned anything was already in the works for it). Either way, this is fantastic and I'm glad to hear it. I've been getting back to modding Skyrim (after months and months focusing on a game whose modding community is elsewhere), so this is just in time for my return, and I greatly appreciate that. :)

Thank you. Personally, I don't mind the ads on this site. It's quite understandable that you need them in order for the site to keep running. Except for that Insurance Ad with a train that makes a disturbing screeching sound.