Ad reporting functionality

Dark0ne

:thumbsup: Hope the site gets a lot of (good) data from these reports on Ads! I think this coming (tiered) system is a great incentive for members to support the site, one way or another. Incentivize, not punish, sort of a refreshing tactic and very, very welcome. I always appreciate these very detailed and frank posts from Dark0ne.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'm not sure if something changed but ever since I made my last comment on this, it seems like the ads have gotten even worse like now I can't seem to type and reply to people AT ALL and just now it tried to redirect me to one of those ads yet I didn't even hover over it let alone click on the ad. Now I have to make posts, replys, etc using my phone which is unacceptable. At this point I wish I had enough money to buy a lifetime premium membership because this is crazy and I'll be damned if my PC gets a virus by one of these ads.

In response to post #35625392. #35625407 is also a reply to the same post.

mannygt wrote: Hi, Dark0ne. Every ad related to mobile should be "banned". Two years ago I tried to use Nexus with my smartphone: 5€ gone in 1 second. Of course I asked my TLC operator to ban these kind of "services" in the day after.
Dark0ne wrote: Mobile ads are something we definitely want to get a grasp on, especially as we'll be launching a mobile-friendly version of the site with the site redesign.

This is food for thought, And now i am thinking a lot about it, I have been useing this site for maybe a month or so now and i use adblock plus and have done for sometime, I really like this site and what it has to offer.

As i said i do use adblock plus, But i am considering turning it off, And sometime in the near future will buy premium membership, and show my support for this great site.

Thank You!

:_)

What's interesting though, is that virtually no website in existence detects AdBlock itself. They just check to make sure that their scripts are running properly, and if not, they assume you have AdBlock, even though you could have some other issue. I usually circumvent this on sites with excessive adverts

by writing Midori scripts that download the .html file, and remove certain elements. Yes, I know that method sounds extremely fake, but it actually requires a bit more human interaction than I made it seem like. This site's adverts are fine though, and I have yet to see an actual pop-up. Come to think of it, the only time I ever see a pop-up anywhere is on other computers that use garbage like IE and Edge. Btw the ToS link is broken, or at least, it redirects back here for me.

In response to post #35625392. #35625407, #35647227 are all replies on the same post.

mannygt wrote: Hi, Dark0ne. Every ad related to mobile should be "banned". Two years ago I tried to use Nexus with my smartphone: 5€ gone in 1 second. Of course I asked my TLC operator to ban these kind of "services" in the day after.
Dark0ne wrote: Mobile ads are something we definitely want to get a grasp on, especially as we'll be launching a mobile-friendly version of the site with the site redesign.
StolenTerminal wrote: This is food for thought, And now i am thinking a lot about it, I have been useing this site for maybe a month or so now and i use adblock plus and have done for sometime, I really like this site and what it has to offer.

As i said i do use adblock plus, But i am considering turning it off, And sometime in the near future will buy premium membership, and show my support for this great site.

Thank You!

:_)

Some adverts can be blocked (I'm not saying that you should) by rooting your phone, installing the Xposed framework, and getting the ad block module. This will for sure block every advert in all non-browser apps.

In response to post #35646727.

CharlieSteal wrote: My issue with most of the ads is they are often bloated, dynamic (flash-based maybe?) and EAT memory. Just turning off adblock for this page immediately raised my RAM usage from 3880 MB to about 4360 MB. 480 MB for one page! I frequently go on a Nexus binge, having as many as 20 or more Nexus tabs open, so I can pick out which mods I'm interested in from the files page, each in a new tab. Then I download them one by one from there. You can imagine how if each page requires an additional 500 MB or so then 20 pages may fill up 8-12 GB of RAM. In doing so, my browser slows down to a crawl. I'd also like to point out that while typing this, new ads keep loading and drastically slow down this simple text box, sometimes locking up the whole page while my browser waits for their connection. These ads are hogs.

So is the OS that you're running. (Hog)

In response to post #35643667. #35643992, #35644452, #35646552 are all replies on the same post.

sisgolden wrote: Mr. Snowden says we, internet users, must use adblockers to protect themselves.
I never turn off my adblock. It's not about hate nexusmods.com, it's all about security.

In recent days, advertisements network were hacked, and used it as a "malware-distribution platform".
What will you do if we infect a zero-day virus from Advertisement, downloaded while visiting nexusmods.com? Nothing, right?
Setekh79 wrote: Then if you value the site purchase a supporting membership, it's a one off payment. You can't be all 'take take take'
sisgolden wrote: See my reply above. There's not bitcoin payment at this moment.
EmissaryOfInfinity wrote: I guarantee you that numerous companies and people you know nothing about already know quite a bit of your personal information. It happens. It's inevitable. And, really, the idea of anonymous payment online is rather amusing, as somehow, through some channel, you will always have shown your information through such a purchase.
And, honestly, it's less than $2. If you're really going to take this approach over such a paltry amount, it goes to show that you're in this not for the best interest of the site, but the greatest interest of yourself.

Seeing as how the NSA can allegedly crack BC wallets and apparently, these "researchers" (https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/researchers-describe-easy-way-crack-bitcoin-wallet-passwords/), I think unmarked bills (hypothetically speaking) are more secure than BC, at least in some aspects. For instance, no one can withdraw funds from your safe from 800 miles away, or install keyloggers, rootkits, or BIOs overwrites that will write new sections on your HDD even if you reinstall your OS, even though the problem can be solved by: A. Going through the hazardous (to your motherboard) steps to wipe your bios, or B. Selling your computer on 'list.

I used to white list the Nexus but then I started getting audio ads, this was months ago now, so I turned it back on fast. I browse the place all the time and I can't have load ads going off. If in a few weeks your report less of these ads now that people can report them I will white list you again. That's all there really is to it for me, although other peoples complaints are just as valid.

On the one hand I'd promised myself that I would finally commit to premium when Fallout 4 released (even though I'm unemployed again despite committing to an interstate move for a supposed new job right before the company went into receivership)... But a couple of months down the line it was those auto-playing ads that finally made me follow through on that self-promise.

They're one of the most obnoxious things on the internet amd they've driven me entirely away from other sites... So even though it no longer directly affects me I'm really glad you folks are trying to put an end to them. Forcing users to close down all their Nexus tabs before they play the mods they've just downloaded doesn't seem like sound business practice for you -or- the advertisers.