Ad reporting functionality

Dark0ne

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid the Supporter subscription a couple years ago, $2 is nothing for a great website I have used for years. Admittedly it was a bit annoying that my bank charged a few extra cents for an international charge, but whatever.

Someone else has pointed out that Adblock Plus has an option to whitelist certain "unobtrusive ads" which is free to register for as a small business. Not sure if Nexus would qualify, but it might be something to look into.

Ads are definitely a touchy topic for the "internet generation" so to speak. I try to disable ads on websites I support, but I am very quick to revoke that privilege if an obtrusive ad comes up. It baffles me that my grandparents pay for television services that are literally 20% advertisements.

Supporting content and creators I access often is a pretty big thing for me, so I bought a year of premium. I still hate ads, though. Especially the video hijacking ads YouTube loves these days. I want to watch my videos without seeing ads for f*#@ing Australian beer (I'm Canadian! ), thanks.

The moment ad networks and advertisers perfect non-obtrusive, relevant (means no REDUCE BELLY FAT TRICKS ads on gaming sites, thanks) advertising is the moment I uninstall my adblocker.

Edited by NebulonRanger

I do greatly appreciate that you're not trying to bash our(ABP user's) heads in with punishments, but I would like to point out a slight flaw with the incentive you chose.

A lot of us are on terrible ISPs. I am no exception. My maximum download speed is about 3/4ths what the cap is. IE: I would never hit the cap anyway, so raising the cap is utterly meaningless to me. This holds true for anyone and everyone on a slower connection, which includes most rural users(as I am) since they just do not have a choice.

Hmm, but what else to use instead, something that even a dialup user could take advantage of? 'Tis the conundrum for sure.

As for supporting the Nexus...up until very recently I was so broke that the only way I could enjoy gaming was to find a really good game with a really active modding community that would let me squeeze thousands of hours out of a single title. That, for me, was Fallout 3, and New Vegas behind it. The Nexus powered the modding community. Now that I'm not broke I'm probably going to toss a few bucks your way once in a while. Most of the perks of premium/supporter/donator are worthless to me, but eh. I don't care. The Nexus continues to be a kickass mod site and, even while I disagree with a few things they do and don't care for the mod manager, I adore the site. I feel being able to keep the servers running without being begged to buy crap I don't want is well worth it.

Hmm, but what else to use instead, something that even a dialup user could take advantage of? 'Tis the conundrum for sure.

It's always been there - Supporter costs around US$2 Less than a coffee at Starbucks. I don't think you can find a better deal on any other website. The $2 is to offset the loss of advertising revenue. And, unlike most other sites it is a one time payment for no ads forever. PLUS several other perks. As I said - try to beat that. :tongue:

In response to post #36175210.

bben46 wrote:

It's always been there - Supporter costs around US$2 Less than a coffee at Starbucks. I don't think you can find a better deal on any other website. The $2 is to offset the loss of advertising revenue. And, unlike most other sites it is a one time payment for no ads forever. PLUS several other perks. As I said - try to beat that. :tongue:

Not quite the same thing. I'm referring to the free upgrade path you get by allowing the ads to show. The current plan is to raise the speed cap by half a meg, but for a lot of users that is a worthless thing because they cannot hit the cap as-is. An incentive to turn ABP off that doesn't cost money and doesn't revolve around speed caps would be a better one, as it would appeal to all users. Not just those lucky enough to have high speed internet. The hard part is finding out what that could be. Maybe access to that special image share would do it?

And, as for me, the only real perk I get out of giving money to the Nexus is keeping the Nexus running. Which, for me, is well worth the pennies it would cost as this place is a great one-stop-shop for mods for my favorite games, but none of the other things on offer really appeal to me. Edited by KennyMcCormick315

In response to post #36152835.

DKong27 wrote: I paid the Supporter subscription a couple years ago, $2 is nothing for a great website I have used for years. Admittedly it was a bit annoying that my bank charged a few extra cents for an international charge, but whatever.

Someone else has pointed out that Adblock Plus has an option to whitelist certain "unobtrusive ads" which is free to register for as a small business. Not sure if Nexus would qualify, but it might be something to look into.

Ads are definitely a touchy topic for the "internet generation" so to speak. I try to disable ads on websites I support, but I am very quick to revoke that privilege if an obtrusive ad comes up. It baffles me that my grandparents pay for television services that are literally 20% advertisements.

I remember making a suggestion to use ABP's whitelist, and guess what...one of the admins just shut me down, telling me to buy premium instead lmao.

I think I'll keep adblock enabled. I could use uBlock or any of the other adblockers that completely remove all ads, but I stick with ABP specifically because of that ad whitelist. The nexus sites would benefit so much from being added to the whitelist, and all Dark has to do is just submit an application.

Hi all,

Weighing in on the ad issue: This sites ad's are not intrusive really and I have no problem disabling my adblocker to support sites like this, sites I use a lot. It's the other end of the scale that I can't handle. Those sites that just throw ad after ad at you just to raise money. This site offer's a service, I'm happy to support it.

In response to post #36156040.

NebulonRanger wrote: Supporting content and creators I access often is a pretty big thing for me, so I bought a year of premium. I still hate ads, though. Especially the video hijacking ads YouTube loves these days. I want to watch my videos without seeing ads for f*#@ing Australian beer (I'm Canadian! ), thanks.

The moment ad networks and advertisers perfect non-obtrusive, relevant (means no REDUCE BELLY FAT TRICKS ads on gaming sites, thanks) advertising is the moment I uninstall my adblocker.

Relevant ad's are being implemented in a lot of web sites already. Youtube, twitch, facebook. It's got a lot to do with gathering metadata on users.