Life in medevil times

Akrid

See, shooting a gun, does take skill... But not as much as shooting a bow and arrow... The first time i shot a rifle, and pistol, i hit my target dead on,... It took me several tries to get the use of a Bow and Arrow, everything changes...there is strength involved...and tension on the bow makes a BIG difference, a gun, you press a trigger...

With swords, you need to be able to read the enemy, like what there next move is about to be so you can block it.

True. But the wounds derived from a long sword or battle axe were very messy. I saw a jousting tournament once, and these horsemen guys had real swords and were fake fighting of course, but one of the guys slipped up and the blade went between the helm or whatever, and it sliced into the other's face. I almost wet myself, there was a huge gout of blood and this guy had to be rushed to a hospital. So, to answer the question, yes I would live there if only for the honor and chivalry part, but a hearty 'NO' on everything else.

Using a bow and arrow does require more skill than a rifle, but you also have to remember that most archers in military forces weren't trained to use them, they were archers because they used a bow to hunt for food and defend their flocks from wild animals, etc. The same for sword wielders. Only knights and similar type folks really had much training, and that was only because they grew up in a wealthy family and were brought up to be a knight. The majority of folks in any battle were still the unwashed masses, who had whatever weapon and armor they could scrape together. They had little skill or training and were pretty much fodder.

Back in the days of swords and castles....

ok - life expectancy was rather lower. Infant mortality was high, so there are good chances you wouldn't even have made it into the world - or not for very long.

Unless you were born into a rich or noble family, there are good chances you'd have ended up a serf (provided you made it past measles, mumps, rubella, whooping cough and a plethora of other common childhood illnesses) - toiling in your lord's fields, subject to any whim your lord might have, and likely to be drafted as an expendable front line 'soldier' (as far as you can call an untrained peasant armed with a pitchfork a soldier) should any attacker threaten your lord's territory.

If you lived in a free city you might have more rights but without adequate sanitation cholera and typhoid were rampant. You'd probably be infested with both ecto- and endoparasites (worms, lice etc), have scars from the latest smallpox epidemic (providing you survived it in the first place), possibly rickets from malnutrition - and your teeth would be rotten by the time you'd reached adulthood. Without antibiotics the slightest wound could go septic, and cause gangrene, septicaemia, tetanus and other such lovely fatal complications.

Oh, and did someone mention the bubonic plague?  :lol:

Bring out yer dead!

:nazgul:

That says it all really. No matter how cool sword fighting and knighthood and so forth might seem to you, most likely you'd never get that far anyway.

So, my vote, HELL no! :blink:

Like it in the games, would kill myself if it was IRL :P

Yes I would, better then this hellhole we have become. We might have nice comfy things, but we have even less freedom then the people had back there. We're just slaves in an insane society, nothing more then the serfs were back then. At least back in those days you could just LEAVE. Enough unclaimed land to try and live on.

The inability to survive on your own in the wilderness of the Middle Ages was the reason for the creation of towns in the first place. Yes, the cities were nasty, smelly, disease infested and had rooves of straw but it beat the option of living alone in the woods hands down. Out in the woods you were vulnerable to any number of animals, theives, rogue knights etc. and chances were good that you had very in the way of defending yourself. Swords and armor were very expensive and the average peasant didn't have a chance in heck of getting their hands on something like that. A person could try and make a bow, but anyone who's ever tried can attest to the fact that home builts usually perform somewhat less than stunningly.

If I had live in the Middle Ages, I'd take my chances in the towns, assuming that I was a peasant. Marry and have children at an early age, work hard, and die young. Ahhh life in the great M.E.

If I had my choice, I'd love to live in the Middle Ages with body armor, grenades, a pistol, and an AK-47 with 2 million rounds of ammo, but thats wayyyy off topic. :oops:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to live in the Middle Ages unless I could bring back some Modern Day weapons with me (along with some vaccines and a load of medication to protect me from the diseases). The idea of the Middle Ages: chivalry, honor, castles and knights seems cool. But the reality of it: diseases, low life expectancy, theives, rogues, no DRAGONS or ELVES. I too, vote a big ol' NAY on that one.

There may be no elves or Dragons, but hter is such thing as hobbits, at least thats what I call them, not as a insult just think it's cool a fanasy race exist. Oh and there was a unicorn speices once, saw on TV documentry thing. But in medievil times people were stupid and imppressionable so there would be much excitment each time a riled up pesent runs into town, "heyy!!! I swear I saw a cloud in the shape of a beaver! it's the end!!!" I guess it is best left in games.

There may be no elves or Dragons, but hter is such thing as hobbits, at least thats what I call them, not as a insult just think it's cool a fanasy race exist. Oh and there was a unicorn speices once, saw on TV documentry thing. But in medievil times people were stupid and imppressionable so there would be much excitment each time a riled up pesent runs into town, "heyy!!! I swear I saw a cloud in the shape of a beaver! it's the end!!!" I guess it is best left in games.

Unicorns eh??? right... sure ya did. In the middle ages they mistaked extinced Great bear skulls for dragon skulls... I love medevil stiff like swords but I would never want to actually live there...

Archived