Skyrim is a port for PC

Thelionheart

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone really think it was going to be anything other than a port? As always modders will fix it.

fix what?

Modders never fixed anything about Oblivion being a port, except the big HUD perhaps.

They fixed the textures and the consolised level and loot scaling, there is also the Oblivion Graphics Extender.

Speaking as a PC gamer who also has an XBox 360, I have particular reasons for being apprehensive about console ports to PC. I like my controls to be pretty simple. This is not because I am stupid before you say anything, it is because arthritic fingers can no longer move as quickly as once they did. I vividly remember trying Devil May Cry 4 on PC, and the controls were horrendously complicated and required you to mash several buttons at once. When, last year, I finally got my XBox 360 I could instantly see where this came from.

Having said that, I can manage to have a whopping amount of fun with Deadly Reflex in Oblivion despite extra buttons coming into play (but that is generally just one at a time). And on the other hand, despite my great enjoyment of The Witcher 2 which is not a console port and is ostensibly "PC first", it has those QTE things which scream "console button mashing" to me and are hard on my digits.

That's why some of us shudder at the phrase "It's a console port". We are not liking button mashing.

To be honest, I didn't think the usual people who you can always find bitching and moaning on forums about 'consolization' and 'dumbing down' would be satisfied with Skyrim. It was merely a matter of time before they started to moan and groan about it again.

Anyways, cheerios. Have fun moaning and groaning about every game that is released that isn't Baldur's Gate 2. I'll be in my room, doing what games are supposed to make me do, having fun.

Edit: Also, ginnyfizz is the only one against the arguing porting issue who has actually raised a valid point in this thread so far, even though a lot of 'consolized' games don't rely on button mashing. The rest of you have just been your usual elitist selves so far.

Edited by Halororor

I think people need to realize that just because a game is being ported from a console to the PC, it is not necessarily going to be bad.

Sure, PC gamers have gotten bitten by ports in the past, but just because Skyrim is being ported to PC, does not automatically mean that it will be a terrible game.

Sure, the graphics may not be be able to live up to the hardware. Sure, there may be several graphical and performance issues; but you know what? There are always (most of) these issues when a game first launches.

What people need to remember, is that we (PC gamers), are still getting the same game that console gamers are getting; it's not like we're only getting a box to play with (although, I gotta admit, boxes are pretty awesome :P ).

Edited by IndorilTheGreat

You people know what's a BAD console port?

When a game doesn't have a mouse pointer.

And when it doesn't have graphic options.

And seriously though, would you like the game to be pushed for PC a few months later, just that they make it unique for the PC?

And there's nothing wrong with console ports if they are done good. And the Gamebryo engine did a good thing, Fallout 3 was a console port and ran better on PC.

Trust. In. Bethesda.

P.S. If you are still mad because it's a console port, just remember that we PC players have mods and the console players don't. :devil:

Edited by Iv000

And I was thinking of pre-ordering. Guessing at 11/11/11 midnight I'll be playing Morrowind.

You're not kidding anyone but yourself buddy :tongue: 99% of the people moaning will play it and be back to rate it as their new favourite game, I guarentee it.

Although i've seen some truly terrible PC ports, I don't really think anything ported by Bethesda is bad. First off, they throw in lots of support for the PC so why the whining? Plus, far as i can see it, PC gamers have always gotten more love from Bethesda than console players.

Hell, you folks should've seen the "support" EA gave to the PC port of the 2010 NFS:Hot Pursuit.

.... Am I the only one who remembers Howard stating in one of the earlier interviews that there was a small team that would be working specifically on the PC port of Skyrim? And at some other point I'm fairly sure I recall him, or someone else at Bethesda, making the comment that the User Interface for the PC would be different (not sure how much different).

I could just be remembering things I never read, but I have a strong feeling that I did read them. Anyone else remember reading such?

Edited by Guest