Survival Mode will be on beta next week

Boombro

I imagine console is disabled because of the "temptation" factor. Some people when faced with a challenge find the urge to cheat a little to get out of it.

I really hope they don't dumb this down to nothing due to complaining. This was going to be a solid groundwork for my next play through.. I am tempted to try the beta, but I want to be able to tweak its settings with mods, so I was waiting for it to be live.. but at this rate they will just abandon the entire idea :(

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most notable problems are saving and nothing to indication of needs imo.

Well, saving issue isn't a big deal to me, but I am curious about the no-notifications? It doesn't have at least some pop-up of "you feel extremely hungry" etc? Cause thatd be a big oversight there. Is there at least a means to check your hunger / thirst/ sleep deprivation within the pipboy?

I don't think pop up messages are non-immersive, since its like you "feeling" the problems.

So apparently, if you start out well-rested, and sleep an additional hour, you become fatigued:

=0[.]o=

ETA: It turns out that after you choose to use survival mode on a given character, characters on other saves will revert to Very Hard, allowing you to make that choice individually, by character

Well, if it isnt just a bug (Likely is?), my explanation for that would be that in real life, if you wake up after having slept for 8 hrs or whatever, but then go back to sleep not long after, you actually will wake up more fatigued than before. Its due to your body having come out of 'sleep mode' and into 'awake mode', then starting 'sleep mode' back up only to get back up shortly after. Your body just starts to get back into sleep mode when you get up the 2nd time, often causing you to be drowsy / more fatigued than before because your body is still in 'sleep mode'.

Its why they recommend you don't use the snooze button much either, because you are better off waking up at that point, especially when your body is in a routine of getting up at a set time.

So, if it was intended, its not entirely unrealistic tbh.

Well, saving issue isn't a big deal to me, but I am curious about the no-notifications? It doesn't have at least some pop-up of "you feel extremely hungry" etc? Cause thatd be a big oversight there. Is there at least a means to check your hunger / thirst/ sleep deprivation within the pipboy?

I don't think pop up messages are non-immersive, since its like you "feeling" the problems.

I haven't played it yet, but I watched a youtube video showing the features. You can see your current level of thirst/etc, by pressing Q in the pipboy, just like you'd do to check on current status effects from chems etc.

I'm disappointed they don't have more of a notification. If they wanted immersive they could go with stomach rumbling and throat clearing like one of the Skyrim mods did.

Well, on the plus side, if the info is in your pipboy, I cant imagine itll be overly difficult for modders to add popups from it. Not sure if itd take script or not.. I have no scripting experience at all, its the last thing I need to start dabbling into for modding as its a pretty essential piece for complex mods, and I have no clue where to start. I did a tiny bit of C++ in high school, so I at least recall the If --> then --> else type of structure / concept, but aside from that, nothin.

Well, if it isnt just a bug (Likely is?), my explanation for that would be that in real life, if you wake up after having slept for 8 hrs or whatever, but then go back to sleep not long after, you actually will wake up more fatigued than before. Its due to your body having come out of 'sleep mode' and into 'awake mode', then starting 'sleep mode' back up only to get back up shortly after. Your body just starts to get back into sleep mode when you get up the 2nd time, often causing you to be drowsy / more fatigued than before because your body is still in 'sleep mode'.

Its why they recommend you don't use the snooze button much either, because you are better off waking up at that point, especially when your body is in a routine of getting up at a set time.

So, if it was intended, its not entirely unrealistic tbh.

That did occur to me (as I have had a bad habit of sleeping more than I ought to, and paying the price for it when I finally did get up), but I suspect it may have to do with balancing the Well Rested bonus, keeping you from extending it in tiny increments. Either way, it just came across as counter-intuitive. =^[.]^=

ETA: Here's another reasonably in-depth analysis of Survival Mode

Lots of little implications that may not have occurred to some folks. I do wish you'd get your bottles back after you drink water you've collected. ='[.]'=

Well, on the plus side, if the info is in your pipboy, I cant imagine itll be overly difficult for modders to add popups from it. Not sure if itd take script or not.. I have no scripting experience at all, its the last thing I need to start dabbling into for modding as its a pretty essential piece for complex mods, and I have no clue where to start. I did a tiny bit of C++ in high school, so I at least recall the If --> then --> else type of structure / concept, but aside from that, nothin.

Any of the HUDs (whether that's the main HUD, containers, dialogue, pipboy, merchants, etc) are controlled through .swf files in the /interface folder of the data directory. Unfortunately working with this requires knowing how to work with Actionscript3, the programming language for .swf (basically the same thing as flash). The reason I say unfortunate is because this isn't the same programming language you use for scripting (which is a Bethesda created programming language called Papyrus). As such even people with a lot of scripting experience for mods may have trouble with the interface files.

I used to work in Actionscript 3 a little, but I'm not a great programmer at all and I'm getting pretty rusty with it so I've struggled when it comes to anything with the /interface.

In order to get something like this to work properly you need to know a little bit of scripting, to keep track of the in-game data that you're notifying the player about and a little bit of Actionscript in order to work the HUD properly. Fortunately you don't have to do anything terribly complicated with either so it's not too difficult. If no one else makes a notification system when the survival mode is properly released (and I'm going to suggest to Bethesda that they implement one), then I'll make one myself but because of my low skill level I'd prefer to see if someone more qualified does it first.