Protection from radiation in settlement buildings!

Lehcar

This is one of the biggest things that really annoys me about settlements - your buildings won't protect you from radiation storms, because you're still technically "outside". :down:

Does anyone think it will be possible to remedy this once the modding tool is released? Could a building enclosed by four walls and a roof somehow be scripted as a no-radiation zone?

Would be possible if you've had high tech buildings like institute stuff from NovaCoru's mod. I wonder if there will be a mod that'll have "radiation-free" zone with a certain item built in a room, like... lights or something. Would be an interesting idea.

This is one of the biggest things that really annoys me about settlements - your buildings won't protect you from radiation storms, because you're still technically "outside". :down:

Does anyone think it will be possible to remedy this once the modding tool is released? Could a building enclosed by four walls and a roof somehow be scripted as a no-radiation zone?

Yeah, this can be done, it's a little tricky but certainly possible. Doesn't need the creation kit though.

The way Thing123 suggested would be a lot easier to script, although potentially a little less immersive.

For a radiation-free zone item, why not give those Pulowski Preservation Shelters the ability to function for their intended purpose? Was quite disappointed the first time a Radstorm rolled in, and I tried to seal myself up inside one and wait it out only to realize that they weren't actually radiation-proof. It would make a little more sense, too. Four junk walls and a corrugated roof isn't exactly a radiation shield, but a cylinder that is explicitly designed to offer protection against it should actually perform as advertised.

Edited by Zetsumi_Nihilus

I'll take a look at the radiation effects used by the rad storms and see if it's possible to set a LOS (line of sight) flag on them. That would be the simplest solution.

It might be technically possible to put an enchantment (aka. object effect) of the Pulowski's, that in turn, would put a cloak spell on the player giving them rad resistance.

There are so few Pulowski shelters. Imagine the chaos when the bombs struck, hundreds of people all fighting each other to get into that one little shelter? :P

Edited by steve40

I don't know the Fallout 4 syntax yet, but LPC had if(is_CONDITION(environment(this_player()))) // condition met, do stuff. Maybe check whether player is standing on a constructible floor? Then add in code to check walls too? I don't know if that functionality exists, just thinking out loud.

A radiation storm is where the radioactive particles still on the ground are whipped up among the winds and rains, and spread more easily through the gaps in the buildings (where they're then inhaled/ingested by you and the settlers). It's not just a case of getting rads from being directly rained on by nuclear rain.

Bear in mind that your settlement buildings are generally open to the elements - holes and gaps in both wood and metal, and window holes without glass - plenty of ways in which the radioactive particles can be blown into your buildings.

This image, published in recent years by the US government, shows the different levels of protection given by different buildings made of different materials, where a 1-story wooden frame house provides little protection, whereas a concrete or brick underground basement provides substantial protection.

This all said, and knowing steve40 is always up for a challenge, how about a scripted solution that provide different levels of protection from the rads depending on the type of building materials? Most vanilla building materials are riddled with holes where the fallout can pass through, but if the player constructs concrete walls (using the wooden floor concrete foundation) this should offer a lot of protection - and would be interesting to see a modded solution where the player could build brick walls and lead-lined doors etc. to provide full protection from storms.

Edited by jackstarr

For a radiation-free zone item, why not give those Pulowski Preservation Shelters the ability to function for their intended purpose? Was quite disappointed the first time a Radstorm rolled in, and I tried to seal myself up inside one and wait it out only to realize that they weren't actually radiation-proof. It would make a little more sense, too. Four junk walls and a corrugated roof isn't exactly a radiation shield, but a cylinder that is explicitly designed to offer protection against it should actually perform as advertised.

This assumes they actually function as advertised. You find a lot of dead people and ghouls in them. :laugh:

This assumes they actually function as advertised. You find a lot of dead people and ghouls in them. :laugh:

Yes, which I suppose is the in-universe explanation for why they don't even provide rad resistance to someone standing inside them. The out-of-universe explanation is laziness on Bethesda's part. Nonetheless, it seems like a bit of wasted potential to have them everywhere and not have them actually provide you resistance against radstorms.