Daggerfall: Elder Scrolls II

KennethKarl

I still get nightmares from Daggerfall dungeons time to time. Its these damn sound sfx used there you walk in corridor a secret door opens, you hear it turn around and a skeleton screams at you. Gah I almost had an heart attack and lets not start with elder vampires, you walk down corridor turn a corner DEATH and somebody glides over your body. Still then there are the uncommon scares, like failed to pick up a side quest from barkeeper and his nice get killed. The barkeeper curses you, you exit from tavern to pitch black night. Only to be greeted by the dead nice who promptly slays you. Seriously at some point I refused to do undead dungeons in Daggerfall, it was especially bad when playing at dead of night. So now all my chars have phobia to undead, well for Daggerfall only Oblivion does not cause these kind of goose bumps thankfully. As for Daggerfall it one of my favorites, you can spend so much time there and once your hooked, your hooked for life.

Well you certainly seem to have gotten farther than I ever did. The dungeons! They were so huge! The creeky doors!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I started lots of new games and one point even thought doing main quest. Bad idea, main quest realy should be left for time when you know the game very well. But the reasons to play Daggerfalls endgame were to recive deaderic daikatan and contract lychantropy. I did fail the later, but in process learned a lot about guilds and ranking up in them. WIth enough rank you gain access to item enchanter and spell creator and then the fun begins. I confinded myself mostly city quests and avoided dungeons untill I got a cart and horse. Later I started to do dungeon quests, but usually took a big break after. What realy helped me at start was the Ebony Dager you can get through questions. Since it could harm most creatures, later I got nice upgrade when I managed to snag a mithril daikatana in one big dungeon. It was so worth it, geting the sword and high tailing it out of there, with monsters baying at the heels. And when you reach the outside, ahh what a relief.

I gave Daggerfall another go.

I have to say, I am loving it!

The combat, the atmosphere, the vast variety of armors/weapons, the atmosphere and finally, your character always looks great in the inventory screen.

Where have you been all my life?! :psyduck:

• 3 weeks later...
Daggerfall definantly isn't for noobs, or the faint-of-heart. It especially isn't for Faint-of-heart Noobs! This game takes a lot of patiance starting out. I only wish that there were more modern games like it.

• 4 weeks later...

hint-book 01:

+ For best experience make a custom champion.

+ The first dungeon serves as a proving ground for his/her survivability.

+ Loot graveyards ( ! ), once you get out. That will help you make some coin to start with.

+ Pawn unused loot at various town merchants scattered throughout the Iliac Bay.

This post serves only as a suggestion and may not represent actual game-play experience. I do not endorse, nor suggest to read it and act upon the information hereby presented. Use at your own risk!

All rights reserved.

Edited by dannyfx1

Daggerfall definantly isn't for noobs, or the faint-of-heart. It especially isn't for Faint-of-heart Noobs! This game takes a lot of patiance starting out. I only wish that there were more modern games like it.

I wouldn't say Daggerfall isn't for noobs. What it isn't for, are players that need a lot of guidance to move along in an RPG.

Out of all the TES games I payed, Daggerfall really fits the title of "drop you in the middle of somewhere, and have it." If you're one of those guys that will find things to do on your own in a game, Daggerfall was for you. If you need big in-game reminders showing, telling, and pointing out exactly what you must do (especially today's MMORPGs), then you won't like Daggerfall. Because I can see a bunch of new players today asking, "What am I supposed to do? Where am I supposed to go? Please tell me!!! WAAAGGHH! This game sucks!"

If you were the kind of player that says, "Hmm, what can I do in this game? What's over there behind those hills? I'm going to check it out. I wonder what this city is like, never been there. Looks a ways off, so I need to get started. Might see stuff along the way." If that's your cup of tea, Daggerfall was for you.

The only thing is the graphics. The game is quite old and looks its age. There's also repeated textures. But if you can get over those obstacles, you will appreciate the openness of the game and the immense game world. Morrowind and Oblivion are but single provinces in Daggerfall. When I first played Daggerfall, opened the overall map, travelled around a bit, and looked to see how far I got along, and realized it was literally not far at all, I figured "Holy s**t, this game is big!"

I loved daggerfall. Awesome game. Trouble was, buggy as all get out. I could get 15 to 20 hours in, then the game would crash, and I would get the message:

Daggerfall has encountered a problem. You must reinstall.

I got tired of that..... and gave up.

I loved daggerfall. Awesome game. Trouble was, buggy as all get out. I could get 15 to 20 hours in, then the game would crash, and I would get the message:

Daggerfall has encountered a problem. You must reinstall.

I got tired of that..... and gave up.

Yea, I know what you mean.

Did you ever get far enough to buy a house? I always wanted too.