Proper Installation Order

SpartanSamuel

I'm familiar with the modding scene with the various programs to implement them and patches, so on and so forth. My question here is in what ORDER should I install the following selection of mods? I've gone through each one and made sure I have most updated versions and patches as follows:

Adult Bookstore v1

Animated Window Lighting System v5-5-3

Attack and Hide v2-1

Auto Harvest [Flora] v1-0-1

Bag of Holding v1-5

Better Cities v4-9-7 (Patch for Open Cities Reborn)

Better Gold with No Menu Icon v1

Better Letters v1-2

Borderless Cyrodiil v1

City Life v2-2

Clocks of Cyrodiil v1 (Patch for Better Cities/Open Better Cities/Open Cities/Open Cities Reborn)

COBL v1-72 (Patch for MMM; OOO)

Cute Elves v1-3-5

DarNified UI v1-3-2

Deadlier Sneaking v1-1

Deadly Revles v6

Dynamic Map v2

Enhanced Water v2.0 HDMI

Fast Exit v2

FCOM Convergence v0-9-9 (Created an OMOD using TheNiceOne's Installer utilizing the following files in this order [FCOM v0-9-9; Unofficial FCOM Update; FCOM Entropic Order Rebalance; FCOM OMOD Installer])

Francesco's Leveled Creatures Items v4.5b

Frostcrag Reborn v3 (Patch for COBL)

Harvest Flora v3-0-1

House Map Markers v1-4

Idle Dialogue v1

Immersive Interiors v0-8

ImpeREAL Empire - Unique Castles v2 (Patch for Open Cities v1-1-4)

ImpeREAL Empire - Unique City v2-6-1

ImpeREAL Empire - Unique Forts v2-61 (Patch for OOO v1-4)

Jedi Lightsabers v1-5

Keychain v5

Kvatch Rebuilt v1-1 (Patch for FCOM; OOO)

Less Annoying Magic v1-7 (Using TheNiceOne's OMOD Installer)

Life Detect v1

Lightweight Potions v1-1

Load Screens Dancinninja v1-01

Load Screens Toothman v1

Lost Spires v14 (Patch for ImpeREAL Forts; Open Cities Reborn; Unique Landscapes)

Loth's Blunt Weapons v3-0-1

Mannimarco Revisited v1 (Patch for OOO)

Martigen's Mutant Mod v3-7b3 (Using TheNiceOne's OMOD Installer utilizing MMM 3-7b3; MMM 3-7b3 BSA; MMM Diverse Water Life Update; MMM OMOD Installer v1-6-1)

Naughty Joana v1

Oblivion Script Extender v0020

Oblivion Stutter Remover v4-1-24

Oblivion WarCry v1-08

Open Cities Reborn v1-7 (Patch for Crowded Cities; Knights of the Nine; OOO)

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul v1-33 (Patch for v1-34b5)

Portable Portals v1-3

Quest Award Leveling v1-8

Reneer's Guard Overhaul v2-54

Sensual Walks for Female NPCs v7-3-2

Shady Sam v1

Social Alertness v1-3

Streamline v3-1 (Using Streamline v3-1 Patch)

Supreme Magicka v0-90b (Patch for COBL; Deadly Reflex; DLC Spell Tomes; MMM; No Spell Lights; OOO)

Synx v1-2

Tamriel Travellers v1-39c

Unique Landscapes v1-6-5 (Using the OMOD Compilation and Patch for Frostcrag Reborn; Kvatch Rebuilt; Lost Spires; OOO; Open Cities Reborn)

Unnecessary Violence Beta (Patch for Francesco's Leveled Creatures Mod, MMM, Oblivion WarCry, OOO

Unofficial Patches (OMODs using UOP v3-2; USIP v1-4; UOMP v1-5; UPS v3-3-5)

Vaults of Cyrodiil v2

Weather - All Natural v1-3

Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System v2009-03-28

As I mentioned, I have the most up to date software to handle these mods:

Better Oblivion Sorting Software v1-7

Oblivion Mod Manager Extended v10-12-24

TES4 Edit v3-0-15

Wrye Bash v2.92

If you read the bottom of my post, I have it already. The bulk of my concern comes in when I want to install large files like FCOM Convergence or Unique Landscapes or the ImpeREAL series that certain files are overwritten more than once by different mods. I would like to know which order to insall the larger mods to better optimize my setup.

[EDIT] While I'm asking for help here, would anyone mind perusing my list and letting me know if I'm missing any compatibility patches?

Oh...I haven't.

Wrye Bash and BOSS should do all the work. Wrye Bash can detect incompatibilities.

With what do you have problems?

Edit: Do you have CTD...Or what?

Edited by goranga

Yeah. I don't want to mock your modding intelligence, but Wrye Bash's BAIN installation process does a good job of detecting that sort of thing, like goranga suggested.

Generally speaking, I would install the mods that make the bigger changes later. I always install FCOM and all its components first, simply because I want to make sure I installed it correctly before I even try installing anything else. So I'll run a test play with a Chameleon 100 character running around various dungeons or worldspaces to make sure everything is fine.

I don't have Better Cities, but I would install those here because they seem like a pain to install, and should I make a mistake in installation, it'd be easier to diagnose it with just FCOM and Better Cities.

You didn't list whether you have texture/mesh replacers (like QTP3). I would personally install those fairly early right after the overhaul stuff, so that other things (like AWLS, which has options for QTP3) can overwrite them if necessary.

I would install the ImpeREAL and other area changing mods about now. It's also a good time to install AWLS.

Install all your NPC spawners and companion mods here. Because the Sensual Walks mods should be installed after you've installed every single NPC mod you want to install (so that the OMOD can detect all of them, if they're supported).

Install Supreme Magicka after every mod it's aware of (DR, COBL and the overhauls of course).

Everything else is kinda obvious by this point, and I think most, if not all, of them would not be overwriting the same data files by now.

Lol, by all means insult away. I thought I had a good grasp, but I guess I don't with Wrye... To be honest, I'm not familiar with the BAIN installation process, but I'm reading up on it now. Thank you for the advice. I'm also going through the FCOM website and it covers a lot more mods than I knew about, and the website is pretty verbose with the different things it covers and what to do with them.

@goranga: I don't have any problems yet. All I've done so far is install the game with the DLCs and SI, and then put in OBSE, Wrye Bash, and OBMM. After that, I've made a full-length replica of the installation directory as a backup elsewhere in case I have to revert back to vanilla.

I would do Deadly reflex last, or close to it, messing with any of DR's meshes at all (except for a very limited few) can cause pretty wacky results.

also just use discretion when installing them, the mods that are more 'essential' (FCOM, for example) should be closer to the end so hopefully none of the important files are overwritten. things like loading screen replacers can go earlier.

...at least that's how I look at it.

I had DR6 and it worked just fine installing it fairly early (I had all my combat and skill mods near the top right after FCOM at the time), but I didn't have mods that messed with its meshes. I don't see any mods in this list that would touch the same meshes that DR6 uses (actually the biggest problem is the Skeleton.nif, if I'm not mistaken). But I could have overlooked some, especially some of the ones I don't recognize or never actually downloaded.

If it crashes and you think DR6 is at fault, follow monkeyboi's advice and reinstall it later after everything just to be sure. BAIN makes that easier by just moving it all the way to the bottom and right click -> Install or Anneal.

- edit: Oh one more thing. Don't take my word as though I'm an expert or anything. :dance: I'm just saying how I would do it. I have a lot of the mods you have, and they work just fine the way I listed (almost everything I have installs via the BAIN system, so it's pretty much automatic overwriting and whatnot). The only mods that I install via OBMM are the scripted ones like AWLS and Sensual Walks, among others.

Edited by HosokawaTakuya

Gah, finally. That was rough, I botched it up a couple of times so I had to revert to my backup directory... Here goes a first run just using FCOM and a couple of others.

[EDIT] AAaaaaaand CTD upon start... time to start working backwards, eh?

[EDIT] Running FCOM alone works, [aside]thank god[/aside]. I'll play through the sewers just to have the save and then try the rest a couple at a time.

[EDIT] So on several Goblins on my way through, they had yellow starbursts as large as they were that seemed to be their weapon saying, "WTF? It seems I'm a missing mesh!" Also, anyone at less than half health or less turned green. Then it crashed upon trying to autosave when exiting the sewers, according to the wxPython traceback.

Useful resource for playing with mod setups - mTES4 Manager. It clones Oblivion, and automates the swapping between setups, and then allows more clones at whatever point you like. It also clones your BASH Installers directory :)

One proviso - when you swap clones DON'T change your mind and immediately click another clone, go and have a cup of coffee, then start using it - the Manager says it has swapped but the HDD light still works like crazy for a couple more minutes and if you swap again in that time, you screw the folders.