Battlefield 3 Boycott is picking up steam

Thelionheart

After seeing about 3 threads on the front page of Reddit talking about the "Physical Warfare Package" pre-order exclusives in a very negative light it appears that there is a possibility of a boycott against Battlefield 3.

Here are just some threads on the subject for reference and to show the extent of the outrage/anger.

(FYI there will be some vulgar language in these threads I am about to link. You have been warned).

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/6801802.page

I will say that I am against exclusive pre-order content such as multiplayer maps and weapons/guns. I am open to exclusive cosmetic content such as more camouflage for your soldier, or something like TF2's hat system. I however, will not buy or pre-order BF3 unless these exclusives are either removed or integrated into the final game as non-exclusives. I do realize that some will disagree with me and that is totally fine, however hopefully they too will join so that they don't have to pay for the DLC at a further date, because nothing's wrong with getting something free (as long as it's legal).

P.S. I put this thread in PC gaming since BF3 is appearing to be a heavily PC influenced title. Furthermore the Battlefield forum section does not have a BF3 section. I did not put it in off topic because I felt that since this is a PC game it better belongs here.

Update: Some legitimate new articles about the subject

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/13/boycott-against-battlefield-3-is-underway/

http://kotaku.com/5811243/battlefield-3-finds-a-way-to-piss-people-off

Edited by Thelionheart

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never cared about pre-ordering, i can live without that stuff.

Could you possibly shrink that signature picture down? it's pushing the whole board over to one side on my tablet and also making the board unusable on my phone. The board automatically resizes images in posts, sadly it doesn't do the same for sigs.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2029/photoojn.jpg

@jim_uk It didn't resize your iPad's screenshot either, so yeah... :P

I had read about the "Back to Karkand" thing, and was thinking about Pre-Ordering the game. I'm pretty sure they said they'd be releasing that later, as a DLC.

But having seen your thread, I searched the webs with trusty ol' Google and found about the issue too. I too, have the same opinion as you, regarding the access to the content. I was kinda meh with the Karkand part, but now they have items too? It's outrageous :down:

Not sure about the boycott happening though. The game seems to good not to buy it, and people will eventually do it... If EA keep screwing up games like this, I hope it'll be their demise.

Edited by Aellyth

These boycotts never happen or work. Anyone remember when they announced Modern Warfare wouldn't have dedicated server or modding support for the PC? The PC gaming community went livid (more livid than this pre-order rubbish) and demanded a boycott. The game then went on to be the highest selling game of all time on all platforms.

Video game boycotts don't work.

I almost crapped my pants when I saw my sig in that picture XD

Anyway, back on topic: Yeah. People say they are going to boycott games, yet when they come out, they still rush to buy them after watching some gameplay videos. Some people do stick to it, it's just the majority that won't. :facepalm:

Edited by TheReverendTholomewPlague

These boycotts never happen or work. Anyone remember when they announced Modern Warfare wouldn't have dedicated server or modding support for the PC? The PC gaming community went livid (more livid than this pre-order rubbish) and demanded a boycott. The game then went on to be the highest selling game of all time on all platforms.

Video game boycotts don't work.

Apparently EA wanted to do something similar with the first Bad Company game, and after a boucott they changed their tune, so I dunno.