Lots of sites being hacked

RitualBlack

Anyone have any idea of why so many sites have been attacked in such a short period of time?

Recently Sony, Honda, Epic, Codemasters, and Bethesda's site and probably some others I am missing have been hacked. I am finding it very odd that this is happening to larger companies all of a sudden. Coincidence, or is there something big going to happen :psyduck:

Anyone have any opinions on this? Anyways, if anyone knows any reasons for why certain sites are being hacked or any relation between the groups of people hacking it would be cool to hear others opinions on this. From what I know they are probably unrelated, but it just seems odd.

Its too bad that people have to do this. Makes you wonder what cool new things may exist if people put as much effort into doing something productive with their computer abilities as they did causing problems. Since you all think its just people being annoying I suppose that I shouldn't worry about anything :happy:

The sites these guys are hacking wouldn't exactly have uber-security. I mean there's no really sensitive information on your beth forums account. The worst that can possibly happen is you get some unwanted e-mail. (Which may contain a program to retrieve your other passwords/pins, but that's a seperate issue. Based on the fact these guys aren't hacking banks or securities companies, or anything like that, I'd be guessing such a program is beyond their capabilities anyway.) Most likely, they just wanted to start a little uproar, and they succeeded.

Today I found this article in the Berliner morgenpost (translated using google translate)

"Hackers hijack bullying website isharegossip "

Wednesday 15 June 2011 02:55

For months, the operators of bullying website isharegossip "the school disrupting peace in Germany, now the unknown backers yourself become a victim. Hacker laid on Tuesday shut the bully platform.

Those who wanted to visit the site, just got a letter seen, was written about the "hacks and Kisses". Among them was a poem: "Hear, meanwhile, creature of the night, the march of time in the light After all, who wakes up alone in the dark, which probably seems foreign to what I report.." The hackers claim to the administrators, moderators and organizers to report to the police within a week, otherwise we will publish all the data. Mail, access data and names you know. Signed the letter with "Over and out. 23timesPi-is.

Who's behind-23timesPi, nobody knows yet. The hackers are still as anonymous as the operator of the site and the many users who abused their classmates and teachers to "isharegossip" had. The people behind the Web site reported bullying allegedly shortly on another site, where they were informed that the page had been hijacked. The server will not be affected. The authors also tried to reassure its users with a bad conscience. The detractors have nothing to fear because the IP addresses that computers can be identified in the network were not saved.

It had become quiet around "isharegossip. The site was in March hit the headlines after it had been at several schools amok threats. In the following weeks, several students had also provided physical fights because of the bullying remarks. Finally, the Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young was the side on the index. Yet she was still in the internet. At many schools in Berlin students had also signed commitments not to use the site. Meanwhile, the Attorney General determines Frankfurt am Main, for defamation and insult against the unknown operator.

Internet users know at any rate, what to make of the action. "These hackers take action but sometimes the right one" "Anonymous avenge blasphemy victims" and it said for Internet messaging service Twitter.

the only hack where i can at least to a degree understand why a victim would do this...

... on the other hand it is still a data theft.

Now from my knowledge of the lawsuit here, if the one gets caught the one must face the theft accusation. On the other hand since the lawsuit couldn't do anything against those dubious backers to bring them to justice. What the police and the public prosecutor couldn't not do, the hacker did. Bringing Justice to the victims. The Victims of isharegossip have my sympathy here not the hacker, not the backers, not the police, not public prosecutor! I hope the Victims get some justice.

Edited by SilverDNA

"Something Big Going On"...You aren't one of those conspirators who lives in their basement wearing tin foil hats, are you?

No, I was just joking around a bit with that. There is currently no tinfoil hat on my head, at the moment, while I am typing this :laugh:

dallen68, forums may not have world class security, but Honda should have a pretty hefty security as they deal with large transactions all the time, but than again I am sure people hacking a large car company wouldn't be hacking game forums :tongue:

Edited by tttttt

tttttt, I would tend to agree. Honda would actually have information that's important. A game forum: not so much.For example, There is nothing in my Nexus account that they couldn't get from opening the local phone book. If they really want to go through all that trouble...