Top 5 Missed opportunities of the Commonwealth

Fatalmasterpiece

but isn't your character made the General of the Minutemen pretty early on? He or she should therefore have the ability to make those decisions, not Preston. But Preston hates the BoS and forces you to attack them (if you ever want to advance their plot) even though it's stated that the PC is the general. That's the that part makes no sense.

Let just agree that the MM sucks in every way expect fashion is say headaches, okay?

But no, some MM runs did not deal with the BOS and you can keep them alive.

@boombro but isn't your character made the General of the Minutemen pretty early on? He or she should therefore have the ability to make those decisions, not Preston. But Preston hates the BoS and forces you to attack them (if you ever want to advance their plot) even though it's stated that the PC is the general. That's the that part makes no sense.

Preston: "The botherhood are now enemies of the minutemen!"

PC: "thanks guy who is much lower than me in rank who literally promoted me himself, but I disagree with you, we should be friends with the BoS"

However that isn't an option (from what I've seen, I've never taken the MM path). That is the part that makes no sense and is a disappointment I think. It forces these conflicts with no chance of diplomacy, unless you use an exploit to confuse the game by carefully picking quests.

Because rather than actually create tension through interesting events, the writers just put various factions into the game with competing ideologies. Then they say "Hey, these guys are bad because we say so! Go kill them!". It's really lazy story writing.

The part where the BoS have the player take down Railroad HQ is so stupid. The BoS essentially gives you a hit list of people around the commonwealth to kill who have done literally nothing against the Brotherhood and offer the player no motivation other than the need to progress the story line.

@boombro but isn't your character made the General of the Minutemen pretty early on? He or she should therefore have the ability to make those decisions, not Preston. But Preston hates the BoS and forces you to attack them (if you ever want to advance their plot) even though it's stated that the PC is the general. That's the that part makes no sense.

PC: "thanks guy who is much lower than me in rank who literally promoted me himself, but I disagree with you, we should be friends with the BoS"

However that isn't an option (from what I've seen, I've never taken the MM path). That is the part that makes no sense and is a disappointment I think. It forces these conflicts with no chance of diplomacy, unless you use an exploit to confuse the game by carefully picking quests.

Because rather than actually create tension through interesting events, the writers just put various factions into the game with competing ideologies. Then they say "Hey, these guys are bad because we say so! Go kill them!". It's really lazy story writing.

The part where the BoS have the player take down Railroad HQ is so stupid. The BoS essentially gives you a hit list of people around the commonwealth to kill who have done literally nothing against the Brotherhood and offer the player no motivation other than the need to progress the story line.

Exactly, I wish they admitted that New Vegas did the whole faction thing a lot better, and were willing to take pages from them. If you played your cards right, you could get the enclave, BoS and like 4 other factions to ally against Caesars legion in New Vegas and it was awesome. There isn't even a chance to get everyone to ally against the Institute at all, unless you exploit the quests, as I said above. If that's the only option then why not just have 2 factions? The minutemen essentially want land and safety, while the brotherhood wants tech. WHY do they have to kill each other? forming a shaky alliance between them would've been so cool. The Railroad wants nothing except to free synths, how does their ideology conflict with anyone except the institute? like you said, just lazy in my opinion.

But the BOS doesn't care about personal stuff.

If that was the case, then they should not show up the in the CW since the INT hardly deals with them and they would not hunt mutes and ghouls all day. The BOS are not a revenge based faction. If they saw something wrong, they do something about it. Personal or not.

The minutemen essentially want land and safety, while the brotherhood wants tech. WHY do they have to kill each other?

If you encountered the BOS and caused them to be hostile to you, then the MM would want to take them down. If everything was okay between you guys, they can stay.

The Railroad wants nothing except to free synths, how does their ideology conflict with anyone except the institute? like you said, just lazy in my opinion.

Expect that they conflict with the BOS as well, and they can work alongside the the MM. That what I did with my first run. RR all the way after rebuilding the castle.

Edited by Boombro

But the BOS doesn't care about personal stuff.

If that was the case, then they should not show up the in the CW since the INT hardly deals with them and they would not hunt mutes and ghouls all day. The BOS are not a revenge based faction. If they saw something wrong, they do something about it. Personal or not.

The minutemen essentially want land and safety, while the brotherhood wants tech. WHY do they have to kill each other?

If you encountered the BOS and caused them to be hostile to you, then the MM would want to take them down. If everything was okay between you guys, they can stay.

The Railroad wants nothing except to free synths, how does their ideology conflict with anyone except the institute? like you said, just lazy in my opinion.

Expect that they conflict with the BOS as well, and they can work alongside the the MM. That what I did with my first run. RR all the way after rebuilding the castle.

Except BoS acts like political parties nowadays - their agenda says a thing, and their actual interests and actions another.

Exactly, I wish they admitted that New Vegas did the whole faction thing a lot better, and were willing to take pages from them. If you played your cards right, you could get the enclave, BoS and like 4 other factions to ally against Caesars legion in New Vegas and it was awesome. There isn't even a chance to get everyone to ally against the Institute at all, unless you exploit the quests, as I said above. If that's the only option then why not just have 2 factions? The minutemen essentially want land and safety, while the brotherhood wants tech. WHY do they have to kill each other? forming a shaky alliance between them would've been so cool. The Railroad wants nothing except to free synths, how does their ideology conflict with anyone except the institute? like you said, just lazy in my opinion.

Remember that feeling you got in NV when you met Mr. House and Yes Man? "This just got complicated" I need to investigate these other factions. There is none of that in FO4. IMHO

Should have been awakened by the institute and met your son immediately. Then sent out to explore. Then decide which faction/s to side with before betraying your son.

Remember that feeling you got in NV when you met Mr. House and Yes Man? "This just got complicated"

Yup.

Player: "but why do I have to work for you?"

Mr house : "because I said so."

Should have been awakened by the institute and met your son immediately. Then sent out to explore. Then decide which faction/s to side with before betraying your son.

Don't you think that is odd however?

The impact is not well divided, and would have been spent right at the start. Then picture everything about them in the start just like as soon as you enter CIT, that is very heavy for a hooking start and it also long for a game you replay a lot.

You also would have more reasons to not join any other factions. Your son saved your life by waking you up, welcomed you home and maybe gave you stuff etc. Why betray him with the RR for example?

It also makes RPs about parents not wanting to look for their kids, excusing the game start voice overs as impulses or say they changed their minds later in-game odd. In base game you can ignore the main quest, the faction fights have nothing to do with you at all since you think your son is (write reason here.) by making the player enter the conflict from the start, you limit the RP even more. Making builds/RPs force themselves to a have a really strong reason not to join any faction or doing the main quest.

Remember that feeling you got in NV when you met Mr. House and Yes Man? "This just got complicated" I need to investigate these other factions. There is none of that in FO4. IMHO

Right, that was the moment you realize that you could reshape the fate of New Vegas yourself. I love how the endings of the game were so nuanced by the choices you made during the game. There's 29 possible portions of the ending cinematic for a combination in the thousands of outcomes.

Besides the Minute Men, it feels like the endings to Fallout 4 could have happened without the Sole Survivor being there at all. The other factions just kind of order you around and there's never any huge turning point beside actively destroying the Institute and/or Brotherhood airship. There are only a disappointing 5 ending portions to the final cinematic and they don't even change depending on who you side with.